"I survived zerker"

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Tondo

"I survived zerker"

Post by Tondo »

Hey there,

Originally I wanted to post this in "forum games" section, but couldn't attach the save file there.

I wondered about the possibility of surviving a zerker attack until 30 turns of fighting pass, with both combatants staying alive, in default era with no mods (has anybody else?). If anybody saw this happen, please post the replay (I'm sure as hell that if anybody saw it, they would keep the save :mrgreen: ).

In all likeliness, alas, such miracle has not yet been witnessed. So I tried to think of the best way to arrange it - which I think would be a resilient/healthy ulfserker on a mountain against skeleton archer on another mountain (or other 60% def terrain), fighting melee during day and with both units slowed and then healed to full HP. After applying some math :eng: I arrived at the probability of both units surviving the skirmish - 0.0403%, or about 1 in 2500 runs.

This is too much for a single tester to endure, but not unrealistic, so I decided to turn to distributed computing :) I hereby challenge the wesnoth community to produce and post a replay of berserker attack where both units straight from default era survive 30 turns of combat - with first brave player to do so being honored with the coveted title "Zerker Survivor" :shock:

You can come up with a different scenario if you think it is better, or use my pre-arranged one (download Zerker_ready.gz) with everything set up. Just click attack and watch :)

Hope to see a zerker survivor soon :geek:
Attachments
Zerker_ready.gz
(18.57 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
Captain_Wrathbow

Re: "I survived zerker"

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

I am curious if you know how easy it would be to fake such a replay with a little bit of coding. :whistle:
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Challenge accepted:
Attachments
I_survived_zerker.gz
(14.72 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
trewe
Translator

Post by trewe »

In 1.6 I had once a female Dark adept who survived an ulfserker (both standing on flat). She was left with 1HP, taken from full health, but sadly backstabbed right away by a thief.

Guess, I will never see such a situation so soon. What is the probability anyway?

But no, I do not have save any more.
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

I wonder if it would be easier to set this up if the unit versusing the zerker had a drain melee attack.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

trewe wrote:In 1.6 I had once a female Dark adept who survived an ulfserker (both standing on flat). She was left with 1HP, taken from full health, but sadly backstabbed right away by a thief.

Guess, I will never see such a situation so soon. What is the probability anyway?

Of that? Less than 1 in a million IIRC.
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

AI wrote:
trewe wrote:In 1.6 I had once a female Dark adept who survived an ulfserker (both standing on flat). She was left with 1HP, taken from full health, but sadly backstabbed right away by a thief.

Of that? Less than 1 in a million IIRC.
Somewhere in the "You played Wesnoth for too long when..." thread, I posted some calculation about it. But apparently, I cannot use the search function on the Forum Games section, so I will have to search manually.

PS:I found it.
Drakefriend wrote:950. ...you have seen a Dark Adept survive an Berserker attack at 1 hp and 20% defense.
Elaboration :eng::
For a DA to survive a ulf at full health and 40% defense, it is still as low as 5.7*10^-47, a tough adept at 60% has 4.36*10^-27. Which still would, at one experiment per second, only happen once every 7.3*10^18 years.
After far too long an absence, I have returned.
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.
Tondo

Post by Tondo »

Heh, obviously I didn't mean this to be a coding exercise. Thx Dugi for posting his scripted fight anyway.

But trewe's post is amazing... if the adept had 33 HP, it could survive 8 hits by non-strong zerker with 4 dmg. The adept standing on 40% def complicates the calculation, lets put him on a 50% def hill so that a hit or a miss is equally likely - then you have about 2^39 fights where zerker gets 8 or less hits, out of total 2^120 possible different fights. So the ratio of survival is 2^39 in 2^120, or 1 in 2^81 fights, which is a staggering number.

The odds are about 1 in 10^24 (=2^81, a million of billions of billions). For 50% that is, for 40% even less. It is unbelievable that you would actually see it happen.

Drakefriend, how did you calculate probabilities for 60 and 40%? I found that a bit difficult :hmm:
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Perhaps the DA was strong and had additional HP. Perhaps it was at night. Perhaps the ’serker wasn’t at full health.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

I calculated the probability that a ulfserker (4*30=120 Attacks dealing 4 damage each) hits at least one hit less than lethal, which would be (28/4)-1=6 for the normal DA (and apparently I did miss the bonus HP for eing level one in the case of the robust one, so I would need to recalculate):
p=0.4^114*0.6^6+[acronym=ulf hits five times/115 misses]0.4^115*0,6^5[/acronym]+...+0,4^120
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

I think that ulf in swamp attacking a ghost has a bigger chance. Your map doesn't have swamp, but ulf on flat vs ghost had 99.1% chance of killing ghost, according to damage calculations. Now, once per 100 sounds doable... :hmm:
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
Ceres
Forum Regular

Post by Ceres »

Drakefriend wrote:p=0.4^114*0.6^6+0.4^115*0,6^5+...+0,4^120
Aren't you forgetting the binomial coefficient? I thought the probability for the ulf to hit six times out of 120 would be 0.4^114*0.6^6[b]*C(120,6)[/b]
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

Ceres wrote:
Drakefriend wrote:p=0.4^114*0.6^6+0.4^115*0,6^5+...+0,4^120
Aren't you forgetting the binomial coefficient? I thought the probability for the ulf to hit six times out of 120 would be 0.4^114*0.6^6[b]*C(120,6)[/b]
:augh: :doh: :oops: :cry: :(
I know I made some mistake somewhere (although it is still correct for my old example of "could die in one strike".
Correctly calculated, the Dark Adept has a chance to survive of 7.6*10^-38 (DA neither robust nor quick, non-strong ulf, 60% defense, full health).
trewe
Translator

Post by trewe »

ancestral wrote:Perhaps the DA was strong and had additional HP. Perhaps it was at night. Perhaps the ’serker wasn’t at full health.
DA's can't be strong, and what does the health of the ulf matter :?
Night (but ulf is neutral) and resilient/intelligent DA (33hp). RIP Celya.
Tondo wrote:The odds are about 1 in 10^24 (=2^81, a million of billions of billions). For 50% that is, for 40% even less. It is unbelievable that you would actually see it happen.
yeah, was astonished too. Will never forget it.

Sadly the save is lost.
cKomuHKa

Post by cKomuHKa »

What about a failure of random numbers generator?