Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
LordBob
Portrait Director

Re: LordBob's commissionned work

Post by LordBob »

:hmm: Agreed. Since we're giving the character new portraits it might well be time to flesh her out. By rewriting, are you refering to dialog & story parts, or would you go as far as to change whole scenarios, including objectives and gameplay? The former I can help with, but the later is beyond both my skill and free time.

Art-wise I will leave her unchanged considering the wide consensus and because there are still several portraits due for this commission.
Without further ado, the finished Asheviere (minus lines and so on).
Attachments
Wesnoth_HttT_asheviere-study3.jpg
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

LordBob wrote::hmm: Agreed. Since we're giving the character new portraits it might well be time to flesh her out. By rewriting, are you refering to dialog & story parts, or would you go as far as to change whole scenarios, including objectives and gameplay? The former I can help with, but the later is beyond both my skill and free time.
Definitely both, considering that the scenario gameplay itself is extremely anti-climatic for a final scenario, and for a scenario bearing the title of the game itself.

But yeah, this is a subject for a different section and thread.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

I really, really like the design of the costume and the level of detail you've incorporated into it; it's ornate without going overboard with the bling. It's a fine line, but personally I think you've nailed it perfectly here. 8)

Might just be me, but in the final version above she looks just a tad cross-eyed?
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

That's a good catch; it should be fixed now.
And while I'm at it, here's the rest of the cast complete with lines; we're only missing Asheviere's defeated portrait. 8)

Edit: after seeing them all side-to-side, the Delfadors are too big and Asheviere too small. I'll make sure to post resized versions tomorrow.
Attachments
HttT-delfador_mad.png
HttT-delfador_mentoring.png
HttT-delfador_mentoring.png (218.02 KiB) Viewed 6597 times
HttT-delfador.png
HttT-delfador.png (266.58 KiB) Viewed 6597 times
HttT-delfador_mad_elf.png
HttT-delfador_mentoring_elf.png
HttT-delfador_mentoring_elf.png (215.61 KiB) Viewed 6597 times
HttT-delfador_elf.png
HttT-delfador_elf.png (262.05 KiB) Viewed 6597 times
HttT-asheviere.png
HttT-asheviere.png (166.73 KiB) Viewed 6597 times
HttT_moremirmu.png
HttT_moremirmu.png (193.01 KiB) Viewed 6597 times
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Looking good :D

Is zookeeper going to make it so that Konrad's speaking portrait is on the right, so it looks like Delf is talking to him across the screen?
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Yeah, good stuff. ^_^
vultraz wrote:Is zookeeper going to make it so that Konrad's speaking portrait is on the right, so it looks like Delf is talking to him across the screen?
Probably, but I'm not yet sure how exactly. In case you meant that they'd both be visible at the same time, then no, that apparently can't be done yet.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

zookeeper wrote:Yeah, good stuff. ^_^
vultraz wrote:Is zookeeper going to make it so that Konrad's speaking portrait is on the right, so it looks like Delf is talking to him across the screen?
Probably, but I'm not yet sure how exactly. In case you meant that they'd both be visible at the same time, then no, that apparently can't be done yet.
No, I meant like, all messages with delf have the portraits on the left of the screen, and all messages with konrad on the right.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I love the way Moremirmu's sword pommel is the white mage staff symbol. I only just noticed :D
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

vultraz wrote:No, I meant like, all messages with delf have the portraits on the left of the screen, and all messages with konrad on the right.
Ideally this kind of mirroring would happen only when two characters are talking to each other: there's not much sense in having Konrad on the right side when he's thinking to himself. But then, it sounds painful to edit each and every dialog in order to introduce indiviual switching of the display side.

Anyway, here are the resized portraits.

@tsi: heh, gotta have the "Holy" in "Holy Sword" 8)
Attachments
HttT-cast.zip
(2.01 MiB) Downloaded 477 times
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Me again: I've set to work on the ancient Lich.
When we last discussed it, there had been remarks that by not showing the point of attach of its third arm, I was wasting a lot of its fearsome potential while at the same time introducing confusion.
So, I decided that I would try a new approach and give it four arms instead of three. The extra arms would be kind of nailed to its shoulderblades and would display signs that they were someone else's before it attached them to its body (different skin colour, remains of clothes, ...). I 'm also thinking of changing the "gloomy, looking away" face for a straight-on stare that would acertain its power and arrogance. Here's an overview of where we're headed
Attachments
Wesnoth_ancient_lich-study3.jpg
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

These are looking good, but one thing is a bit off and keeps standing out to me- Delfador's mouth when he is speaking. I did a quick hack job and moved it ever so slightly, but I think it makes a big difference.
Attachments
HttT-delfador_mentoring_elf2.png
HttT-delfador_mentoring_elf2.png (203.09 KiB) Viewed 6480 times
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Honestly, I think the arm not his own looks way more his own than his true arm, if you get what I mean. I had the impression that the extra arm was supposed to be well, extra. Right now it's his main arm that looks added on. Not necessarily a bad thing, though.
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

:hmm: By that, do you mean that the shoulder width for the "outer" arms feels more lifelike, or do you refer to the general aspect of the arm (tattered clothes, crooked fingers, ...)?
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Well, I think the outer arms look slightly too big, unless you want a nice, buff lich :P . Then again, they are supposed to be add-ons, so proportions should not be a problem. As for the inner arms, they seem too small. The eye is immediately drawn to the outer arms, then you notice this weird thing that turns out to be two smaller arms.
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

In thats case, how about giving him a real big arm that looks unmistakably out of place, for instance an orc's ? Though this might better suit a warrior-type unit;
Attachments
Wesnoth_ancient_lich-study6.jpg