A Song of Fire: SP Campaign Feedback and Reviews

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

revansurik

Re: A Song of Fire: SP Campaign Feedback and Reviews

Post by revansurik »

The Sun Path - It's not a bug; there is a dwarvish fort nearby, when you reach it Alcatas appears and Dvalin goes with him to meet the Motsoghnir dwarves; I think I should increase the area that triggers his appearance...

Wings of Rebellion: Well observed, I'll change that as well :-P

The loyals: I think I know what i have gotten wrong there, I used the {IS_LOYAL}macro but didn't define the unit as loyal in [modifications] :-)

marecki, have you finished part II already?
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
marecki

Post by marecki »

revansurik wrote:The Sun Path - It's not a bug; there is a dwarvish fort nearby, when you reach it Alcatas appears and Dvalin goes with him to meet the Motsoghnir dwarves; I think I should increase the area that triggers his appearance...
*sigh* It IS a bug. Alcatas does not appear, or speak, the dialogue is INCOMPLETE. Watch the replay.
Attachments
ASoF-The_Sun_Path_replay.gz
(278.59 KiB) Downloaded 455 times
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

You should have moved a unit within a 3-hex radius, with the dwarvish keep at the centre, you came quite close (those villages were 4 hex away from the keep). But it is my fault, I should have made it so that Alcatas would inevitably appear when the player fights Abel (the leader of the larger vampire force); I'll fix that.
BTW, in the missing dialogue Alcatas takes Dvalin to Idavellir, the kingdom of the Motsoghnir dwarves, which is situated inside those mountains. ;-)

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
marecki

Post by marecki »

revansurik wrote:BTW, in the missing dialogue Alcatas takes Dvalin to Idavellir, the kingdom of the Motsoghnir dwarves, which is situated inside those mountains. ;-)
Well, I kinda figured it out. :D

I haven't started the last scenario yet, not sure if I want to. Wouldn't I have to complete it again once part 3 comes out (not sure how that works)?
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Now that you said that, i went to look at the file of the last scenario, and I made a grave mistake: I forgot to store again Dvalin and the dwarvish veterans :doh:
You're right, it is better not to play that scenario right now; I'm just afraid I'll have to place a message in the next release, warning players to replay scenario 26 if they've already played it, or they'll have problems in scenario 31... :augh:
Well, it won't take much for next release, though; there are only 3 scenarios to write, one of the mapsis already done, as do the custom units that'll be appearing... :-D

;-)
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

ASoF version 0.2.2
Wesnoth version 1.11.1

Playing on Linux (case-sensitive filesystem), the unit images for Myra and Veela don't appear.

This is because the files in images/units/heroes have their ".PNG" in uppercase, and the WML lists them in lowercase. Also images/units/human-hannuks/charioteer.PNG has the same problem.
Currently updating the SurvivalXtreme Collection, and the SXC Pressure scenario. That's about a mermish necromancer, who's just found out that her Tentacles Of The Deep have been nerfed.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Part III has been released!

Part III: Raging Skies - Part III: Raging Skies - The refugees have finally found a new home: families are built, allies are made and, for the first time in years, Myra and her friends know peace. However, when everything seems normal, ambition and thirst for power cause the break out of a continental war. And, amidst this new storm, an old foe rises agan, more powerful than ever. Witness the end of the song of Irdya's first great heroine.

Code: Select all

Version 0.3.0:
    -------------------

- Units:
        - Added a new custom sprite for Maat

- Scenarios:
       - Scenarios 27 to 36 (plus Epilogue) complete

- Others:
        - Made minor changes in some dialogues and story parts
        - Changed the lawful/chaotic bonus for the Stormy Sky schedule; now lawful units have some bonus during dawn and dusk, and a lesser decrease during the day, but a greater one at night
        - Corrected the problem that prevented some custom sprites from appearing onscreen, when playing in Linux

Obs.: A change I think version 0.2.2 already had, but which I didn't comment before, was the replacing of the Ruby of Fire by a new gem, the Sky Soul. I had many reasons to do it - ASoF's Ruby was too powerful to be related to the canonical Ruby, to quote one; I hope this change does not take much from the story.
Also, players may find 2 problems when playing part III, but I have commented on these problems in notes preceding scenarios 27 and 32.

;-)
marecki

Post by marecki »

Awesome! For now I finally wrapped up the previous chapter, but hopefully I'll play more over the weekend. Conquest of the Promised Land was easy enough. All those carapaces were somewhat annoying, but that's it. With 800 gold, I went overboard with super-recalls (ancient banners, librarians) and obliterated everything in a couple of turns. I don't like the map of the peninsula, I feel like it should have more...stuff, like streams, paths. But that's just aesthetics, or maybe I just like to complain.
When lava giant advances to behemoth, a redundant window pops up (showing two identical level-up choices).

Liking the dialogue in the new chapter so far: "Aldrik, you stay in the academy until mommy and daddy are done with those meanies" :D
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Yes, Conquest of the Promised Land was meant to be relatively easy; after 25 scenarios, the player should have a massive army of lvl 3 and 4 :-P
I saw the Lava Behemoth problem too, but it is related to the War of Legends era, so I can't solve it :-)
Well, I thought I should add some light-hearted humour after all the suffering and strife in Parts I and II :-P Part III, however, will have some tragic moments as well, but mostly in the later scenarios.

;-)
marecki

Post by marecki »

The Rise of Maat'Kare
Glaivers seem worthless to me. The only thing they get is steadfast, but they're stuck on level 2 and are slow as hell (takes ages to move them anywhere in most scenarios). I might consider using them if they had, for example, 10% fire and cold resist (so 20% in defense), or more hp (they have the exact same health as other advancement options). As it stands, there's absolutely no reason to ever choose them over chevaliers or swordsmen.
Myra's power makes all enemies steer clear of her. This gives player a significant tactical advantage - in this scenario I moved Myra to the hills in the middle and all those minotaur mystics just stood there like sheep, while my units took care of the vamps. I know it follows from the story that she's becoming increasingly powerful, but I'd still consider nerfing her a little (at least her melee dmg).

Embers of War
I suppose the idea behind this scenario is a mad rush to save the allied leader, while fending off the vampires from the north, but it doesn't really work because, well, Eranak is perfectly capable of taking care of himself. I recruited one castleful of fast units, moved Myra to the closest keep and split my forces. But by the time my guys arrived south the fight was basically over, only two orcs left to cut down. Possible solutions: a) the map's too big, make it smaller (this actually goes for other scenarios in this chapter, especially Fading of a Flame), b) remove lvl3 from the enemy orc's recruit list, make him recruit waves of lower level units instead, it's more cost-effective, c) or just increase enemy gold, but that's obviously the crudest way to go about it.

Forging Alliances
It's a rather long and tedious hike to Ronak. Didn't bother with human recalls, leveled some orcs just in case, but this scenario is clearly made for elementals, especially djinns and fire ghosts. As much as I enjoy frying goblins, constantly checking move range of dozens of wolf riders was annoying and there's no diversity to enemies: goblins and wolves exclusively. Why not add pillagers, or trolls/ogres, even those cool custom goblin units (I think authors of Antar Son of Rheor used those in one mission?).

Night Fire
Not much to say, I like big battles, so this one was right up my alley, although extreme terrain arguably makes it too easy. Vamps can't really take advantage of their numbers, they just mill about on frozen and player has access to unlimited ice crabs. 8)

I don't think I have to reiterate I'm enjoying your campaign very much (I wouldn't be playing the third chapter otherwise :D ).
As for the story, it's flowing along nicely, but for the life of me I cannot fathom why Myra would leave the Sky Soul with Akashia. It even comes up in dialogue repeatedly that Myra's the one best fit to guard it (since she's probably one of the most powerful beings on Irdya at that point). It just doesn't make much sense for her to let go of something that could potentially release Svarballi and doom the world, no matter how much she likes and respects her friend. Also, it's kind of a giveaway of how the story will develop.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

The Rise of Maat'Kare - I agree, glaivers are useless :-P I was thinking about Myra's power too, decrease her melee attack a little - especially because she has the strong trait, which makes her trident attack even stronger. Curiously, I once found out that a small group of Boar Knights/Cataphracts can easily take her down with a few charging suicide attacks :-P

Embers of War - Weird, when I played Eranak got himself in dire straits, so I thought it was fine like that... I think I'll reduce the limit of lvl 3 units Hagash can recruit, and also delete some of the lvl 2 units that start the scenario with Eranak. Also, you thought the map of Fading of a Flame too big? But if I reduce it more, the battle will be quite messy with the large number of units that will be used there...

Forging Alliances - Well, there are neither trolls nor ogres on the Sun's Cradle, and I don't see why anyone would want to bleed for goblins - save perhaps for mercenary gnolls... I didn't know there were custom goblins, I may give them a look later.

Night Fire - On the other hand, ice crabs are terribly vulnerable to the blood boil (fire type) of Flesh Artisans, Blood Manipulators and Sangels ;-)

It's good that you are enjoying the campaign :-D About the Sky Soul, that is exactly what Myra thinks that her enemies will think: that she would never leave the Soul with anyone else. And, as she says, even with all her power she'll be no match for the full strength of the Lords and their armies. By leaving the Soul with Akashia, she wants to make sure that, if she's ambushed and overpowered, the gem will not be captured. And that is just a temporary thing, Myra plans to get the Soul back when the war is over.
Also, let me ask you something: when you started Fading of a Flame, did it start normally, or did it finished right after the initial dialogue? I had this problem when playing that scenario, but not even in the WML Workshop I cold find a solution...

;-)
marecki

Post by marecki »

revansurik wrote:Also, you thought the map of Fading of a Flame too big?
Ok, maybe I spoke too soon, I haven't actually played this scenario yet, I just had a brief look at the situation. I'll reserve comment for when I have finished it.
revansurik wrote:Also, let me ask you something: when you started Fading of a Flame, did it start normally, or did it finished right after the initial dialogue? I had this problem when playing that scenario, but not even in the WML Workshop I cold find a solution...
It bugged on me the first time, like you said it might, but then started normally when I loaded the save. No idea what might be causing this.
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

In Legend of the Water Dragon, the ending event was wrongly triggered when I moved Myra back onto her starting position to recruit more troops, even though I had not found the Fountain yet...
A witty saying proves nothing.
-Voltaire
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

In Legend of the Water Dragon, the ending event was wrongly triggered when I moved Myra back onto her starting position to recruit more troops, even though I had not found the Fountain yet...
Ah, I see; I should have made it so that only after finding the Fountain that event would happen, thanks for warning me on this problem :-)

;-)
marecki

Post by marecki »

It's good that the recall list is mostly wiped in the last chapter, it was getting obscenely large. Inexplicably, I could still recall one greatbow and two swordmasters for the rest of the campaign.

Fading of a Flame
I actually managed to kill the enemy leader on the last turn; it would be cool, if this was somehow recognized in the dialogue, even in one short sentence (after all, the objective is just to resist). I withdraw my complaint about map size. :)

Valley of Silence
Good battle, but can be finished very early (even in 12 turns or so), leading to a rather big carryover next mission. Getting control of all those dryads made it easier than it should have been.

Wrath of the Heavens
Heh, I think you underestimate the force players can build throughout the chapters of this campaign. I started the final battle with 974 gold; recalled highest level elementals, quick Lords, some Hannuks. At some point I stopped recalling, because it was already such a huge overkill. I barely paid attention to tactics, exposed units stupidly and just blitzed south, slaughtering celestials so fast they could barely get any attacks in. I don't know if Grigorius is triggered by proximity, or on specific turn, but if it's the former then that should be changed somehow, because I just swarmed his keep, before he could actually recruit more than 2-3 units. I killed his first incarnation on turn 12, with the poor bugger still sitting on approx. 1200 gold and +140 income. :twisted: Your army's sheer power removes any challenge from this battle. Note that some hannuks are lawful, so they get huge bonus during the "special dawn." Tarkans under leadership at dawn are just silly powerful.

That said, the final showdown is truly epic and the whole thing ends with proper BANG!, I wouldn't have it any other way. I think it's great that, with Myra's transformation, you keep rng out of the final boss fight, unlike *cough* some other UMCs I won't mention here. :D
Epilogue is suitably solemn and frames the story well, very nice touch with Aldrik seeing his mother in the waves; good music.

Very minor stuff: not everyone leaves the battlefield at the end, specifically some loyals stay (Garmo's wolves and Yara, maybe others which I didn't recall - this is probably intentional and a good addition, as it rewards players who kept those units alive), but also the aforementioned "leftover" aragwaithi (which I'm fairly sure is a bug of some sort). The "seawave" sound in the epilogue continues long after you click end scenario.

Also: "to be continued...?" Yeah!