Android 1.8/1.10 support thread

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

gnomius

Re: Android support thread

Post by gnomius »

Hi,

I am trying to install an Era manually. I have added it to an "add-ons" folder I have created, but it doesn't show in the multiplayer.

Am I doing something wrong? Which is the right path to put the files in?

Thank you vey much,
Gnomius
Max

Post by Max »

you don't usually have to create the add-ons folder, i think it's automatically created just by launching bfw. so maybe you got the wrong folder?
don't know what you're using to browse your filesystem, but usually there's a find/search option...
gnomius

Post by gnomius »

Well, I created it manually because it didn't exist under "data" folder. Although the game was not started... mmm... I'll try to fire up the game first to see if you are right, thanks.
Max

Post by Max »

i think you're looking at the wrong folder, the game data directory. you have to put it in the user data directory:
http://wiki.wesnoth.org/EditingWesnoth

i don't have bfw installed on my phone right now, but it should be easy to locate these files using tools like root explorer...
gnomius

Post by gnomius »

Yeah, I already checked that link, but unfortunately it doesn't say anything about the Android version. That's why I asked for the user data path.OK, I'll try to locate any folder named "add-ons" via searching tools.

Anyway, if anybody knows which is the right path, or even if the folder already exists or has to be created, any help is welcome. :mrgreen:

Thanks, Max
gnomius

Post by gnomius »

Confirmed, the "add-ons" folder doesn't exist, even when the game is started...

I have created one under /sdcard/Android/data/com.androthsoft.battle/files/data, and no success.

Any idea? :?
Max

Post by Max »

found this:
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35265

maybe you can't see the .wesnoth1.8 folder because on linux/mac files starting with a dot are hidden? or your phone isn't rooted and you didn't move the game to the sd-card, so you can't access the user data directory. but i think it's installed to the sd-card per default.
gnomius

Post by gnomius »

You were right, that foder exists and it was hidden. It has the add-ons folder inside.

But... I have put a new era inside the folder, and still doesn't appear in multiplayer... :(
gnomius

Post by gnomius »

Forget abou this! I was installing an era from 1.10 version...

I have installed the 1.8 version and it works!! :)

Thanks a lot, Max!
planarbox

Post by planarbox »

Hi, just wondering if their was a way to manually add campaigns. I downloaded some for 1.8 and extracted into the campaigns folder, but I keep getting the unknown scenario error.
gnomius

Post by gnomius »

Have you tried extracting it into the "add-ons" folder?

/sdcard/app-data/com.androthsoft.battle/files/.wesnoth1.8/add-ons

It worked for me, but I was installing a new era. I don't know if the campaigns go here too... :roll:

Good luck!
Racalas

Post by Racalas »

My device: Samsung Galaxy SIII, android version 4.1.1

My problem is that I bought the full game (cuz I alrealdy played BfW in my laptop) but everything is just too small in the screen. And I found no "screen resolution" option anywhere. Is there any way to fix it? I can't play the game the way it is right now cuz I get headaches... Thanks =)
gnomius

Post by gnomius »

I'm afraid it's not possible to change resolution, nor to zoom in/out... :(

I don't know if cjhopman (the author of this port) is active, at least he hasn't come to this forum for half a year. If you are there, can you tell us whether you are willing to continue updating the app?

There are several things taht could be improved, compared to the iOS version, and we would be very glad to hear from you! :wink:
rayfitch

Post by rayfitch »

Hi using Samsung nexus 10 tablet
The size of players and buttons are far to small, its a great game but needs a zoom option, any chance this could be applied it would massively improve this game on tablets
cjhopman
Inactive Developer

Post by cjhopman »

rayfitch wrote:Hi using Samsung nexus 10 tablet
The size of players and buttons are far to small, its a great game but needs a zoom option, any chance this could be applied it would massively improve this game on tablets
This is one of the top feature requests that I am working on. The game is currently, essentially, unplayable on very high dpi devices like the Nexus 10.

Other features that I am working on include:
Making the help system more accessible and touch friendly.
Save game syncing between devices.
Update to Wesnoth 1.10.
Bring real support for translations.
Also, real support for add-ons.
Using Android's secondary apk mechanism to distribute the media (rather than Amazon S3).

I have not spent as much time working on Wesnoth the past couple months... but that should be changing now. Also, the Android port source is available (https://github.com/cjhopman/Wesnoth-1.8-for-Android), and I would be happy to accept patches to that (possibly even better would be bringing some of the Android changes into the desktop trunk). If you are seriously considering contributing to this, feel free to contact me for more information.