Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
12%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 241

gfgtdf
Developer

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by gfgtdf »

Dugi wrote:You won? That was unexpected. Congratulations. You were supposed to struggle, approaching a total defeat, and then the mage Zortheus comes and ends the endless night, starts recruiting more mages and your leaders decide to retreat. Seems the enemies were not strong enough. I will make them stronger and add some more enemies if you manage to win. Anyway, nothing important was supposed to happen there, you were just supposed to flee and not to win. Just remember that and keep playing.
i just invaded the enemy castle with efriam and lethia, the 2 minor enemybosses attackes them and died fast, and at turn 10 time i got also the main boss.
I think making the enemy bosses stringer would solve the problem better.

I noticed in the scenario "Lost in spaces" most of the features don't work, maybe you forgot to include the GLOBAL_EVENTS in the scenario.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
RainerT

Post by RainerT »

Dugi wrote:@RainerT You were absent for much too long. Quite a few things have changes from then. I have changed the damage type of Efraim and Lethalia's lightning spells to lightning. Regarding the resistances, I have added an advancement for resistances to all melee units, but it might be useful to add some dodge or something to all those who do not have it,, as you suggest.
During your absence, I have also changed the system, but I am not quite sure how well it works atm. I have altered the experience requirements for advancing, and it is now almost impossible to get more than 40 advancements, and not quite likely to get more than 30 advancements (I expect like 160 max hp by the end of chapter 8 ). That means investing into more than 6 'skills' is not quite likely, and you have to choose what to improve (and you cannot have brutal defence, brutal melee offence and brutal ranged offence at the same time). Redeem requires less redeems to improve it, but can be used only once per 3 turns (so nobody will be using it all the time, no matter what). Absorb 3 and absorb 4 are impossible to obtain. Please keep bashing me only after verifying that this still does not work.
I noticed the last days that some things changed and I didn't want to bash you, but it was definatly an important issue. Next time I promise to try the latest release before I start mourning. :wink: The redeem is at an appropriate level now and the reduction of advancements is good as well. I also misinterpreted one thing. I thought lightning is an fire attack, like it usually is, but I noticed it is a completly new attack. What about resistances? It seems to be that it's alwasy 0. I don't fancy the idea of a new attack outside the ordinary scheme, but it's not that important to stress that subject for a longer time.

The idea of giving other units a possibility to get better resistances with advancement is bit of a cripled solution. While some get up to 40 points for free with their final level, the others have to spend loads of advancements to come near that point and ordinary units don't get that many advancements.
Dugi wrote:And I don't know what is your problem with Lethalia's axe. She walks the world for millenia, during that time, she must have realised that some melee combat skills might be useful and must have found some time to learn to use the axe. If I was living for millenia, I would surely have learned many less important skills, like brawling, fencing, playing a musical instrument, juggling, singing, latin language...
Efraim was formerly a fencer, Lethalia was formerly a wizard, but why the hell should he limit himself to weapon-related skills and she limit herself to magic during all these millenia? There is no logical reason.
One point is is a stylish argument. An axe doesn't fit with an elvish wizard. A more elegant weapon like sabre, dagger or perhaps a spear would fit better. The other point is the balancing issue. Efraim and Lethalia are too powerful and I agree with others that it takes some fun out of the gameplay. This is sad, because I like so many other aspects of your module. Anyway, I don't want to stress this subject any longer, because it was discussed a lot before.

There are some more bugs and issues I noticed:

The "Odd World" in Chapter 8 is a bit strange. It is an endless level but you loose gold in it. I played a part of it before I noticed that. It seems to be pretty difficult not to lose all your gold, even if you take just a few ordinary units.

The "Den of Evil" in Chapter 7 is overdone with enemies. It took me hours to finish it and it's always the same. There isn't a lot of strategy you can use to finish this one quicker. A third of the current number of enemies is more than enough to fix you for a while in that level.

The first crossbow advancement of the Duke doesn't do any changes.

The legacy advancement "healing with illumination" doesn't work properly with the elvish seer. She doesn't get +8 but still stays at +4.

The thorns from the Dwarvish Battleager hurt friendly units to.

The Koschei item set is a bit strange. I have the cloak and the staff and both have just a single line about a bonus from Koschei's Journal. This is a bit strange for a three item set or is it just a two item set with a naming issue?

There are a few advancements that don't show up in the on the left side of the advancement dialog. The ones I found so far are: speed (Warlock), faerie sabre (elvish seer) and doom (Swordmaster).

It was a good idea to reduce the Shadowalker and make a different unit for the thiefs. In general the Shadowalker would fit better with the thiefs than the fencer, but that might be a problem, because Efraim becomes one in the beginning. There is one thing I'm still missing. The old Shadowalker could take night stalk after two advancements in shadow wave. I took more advancements and it didn't show up. Is it still available? If the unit is called Shadowalker it should have such a thing.

Do ordinary units get thing things like marksman or even focused after some weapon advancments like Efraim and Lethalia do?

If you you purify an undead with an Chaos Raider, the new unit has still the undead trait plus another one.

Finally a graphical thing. You took the graphics for the Faerie Incarnation from one of the fairies in IftU. What about using the graphics from Elynia in that module? It looks nicer and has a staff, which fits better with the Farie Incarnation.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

gfgtdf wrote:I think making the enemy bosses stringer would solve the problem better.
This should be done as well, yeah.
gfgtdf wrote:I noticed in the scenario "Lost in spaces" most of the features don't work, maybe you forgot to include the GLOBAL_EVENTS in the scenario.
Yes, I forgot it, my apologies.
RainerT wrote:The redeem is at an appropriate level now and the reduction of advancements is good as well.
Glad to read this.
RainerT wrote:I thought lightning is an fire attack, like it usually is, but I noticed it is a completly new attack. What about resistances? It seems to be that it's alwasy 0. I don't fancy the idea of a new attack outside the ordinary scheme, but it's not that important to stress that subject for a longer time.
It was too similar to fire attacks, so I decided to alter it not long ago. It is not affected neither by items, neither by enemy resistances. I wanted to make something less usual. Do you have any suggestions about this attack?
RainerT wrote:The idea of giving other units a possibility to get better resistances with advancement is bit of a cripled solution. While some get up to 40 points for free with their final level, the others have to spend loads of advancements to come near that point and ordinary units don't get that many advancements.
Do you suggest to remove all resistance-related advancements from units? I can't tell if it is a good idea or not, but it would have a significant effect on balance through the entire campaign.
RainerT wrote:An axe doesn't fit with an elvish wizard. A more elegant weapon like sabre, dagger or perhaps a spear would fit better.
Sword was forbidden, because Efraim wears one, so she would not be the first one to get the best weapon that fits her. Dagger is a sneaky weapon, and she is not much sneaky. A spear is a possibility, it certainly fits elves, but it looks somewhat primitive and too huge to carry around if you are not going to use it a lot. A small axe is light, easy to carry, lighter than a sword, but still able to hit hard, unlike a dagger.
If you persuade me, I might change it, but altering the profile would not be so easy.
RainerT wrote:The other point is the balancing issue. Efraim and Lethalia are too powerful and I agree with others that it takes some fun out of the gameplay.
They were supposed to be stronger than others, but if they are too strong, I might weaken them, but I would prefer to weaken them by making them advance slower, because they are not much stronger than other units without advancements and their advancements are not much stronger than other units' advancements. What do you think?

About the bugs, I have fixed most of them, not uploaded them yet, though. Comments about it:
I forgot to disable the upkeep. My bad.
I have altered the map in Den of Evil recently (like two weeks ago), you might want to try whether it is better or not.
The first crossbow advancement of Duke seemed to be correct. The second one was bugged and wasn't doing anything. Am I right?
How can the thorns of Dwarvish Battlerager damage his allies when it damages the units that hit him and allies cannot hit him? You possibly meant the leeches of Faerie Incarnation, but that was intended.
The Koschei's item set is not an item set, there are three items (one of them is a book) that have some influences between them. I just named them after Koschei the Deathless, a powerful dark sorcerer from fairy tales.
Some advancements are not shown in the advancements dialogue. They just cannot, the advancements dialogue is a part of wesnoth and I cannot change it when it does not display things like that. It displays many other things wrongly. The only way to fix it is to clone it somehow in lua and also the whole item system, that would make the code totally useless for purposes of learning WML. Not mentioning the amount of work it would need.
I removed Shadowalker's nightstalk, because it did not fit him so much anymore. He is supposed to be some kind of fencer that, unlike others, fights also at night. For Loyalists, he likes walking in the shadows, for Outlaws, he is a Loyalist who is a bit better at night than other Loyalists.
Most ordinary archers can get marksman, and some of them can also get focused and guided.
RainerT wrote:Finally a graphical thing. You took the graphics for the Faerie Incarnation from one of the fairies in IftU. What about using the graphics from Elynia in that module? It looks nicer and has a staff, which fits better with the Farie Incarnation.
I don't think it comes from IftU, I think it was from elsewhere, and IftU took it from there too, but I am not sure, I added it quite some time ago. I have animated it myself. But I might use the old (animated) sprite for Elynia, it has a nice animation (I like the old one more). Shadowmaster will be certainly glad that his animating work on that sprite will not be in vain when it is replaced by a new one.
RainerT

Post by RainerT »

Dugi wrote:
RainerT wrote:I thought lightning is an fire attack, like it usually is, but I noticed it is a completly new attack. What about resistances? It seems to be that it's alwasy 0. I don't fancy the idea of a new attack outside the ordinary scheme, but it's not that important to stress that subject for a longer time.
It was too similar to fire attacks, so I decided to alter it not long ago. It is not affected neither by items, neither by enemy resistances. I wanted to make something less usual. Do you have any suggestions about this attack?
I would remove the lightning attack completly. You could add an area spell for arcane. Then you have two spells for any damage type plus the particle storm. That is absolutly enough, especially since the number of advancements is reduced.
Dugi wrote:
RainerT wrote:The idea of giving other units a possibility to get better resistances with advancement is bit of a cripled solution. While some get up to 40 points for free with their final level, the others have to spend loads of advancements to come near that point and ordinary units don't get that many advancements.
Do you suggest to remove all resistance-related advancements from units? I can't tell if it is a good idea or not, but it would have a significant effect on balance through the entire campaign.
The problem is, resistances are a lot more important in your campaign than in ordinary campaigns, especially the magical ones. The best solution would be, that any unit gets better resistances with their final upgrade and units with lower resistances should get a bit more than the ones with high resistances. A general problem is the altering of resistances due to added items. If you give +20 item to a -10 unit it makes less difference than giving it to a unit with +30. The first one reduces the taken damage by around 18%, while the second one around 28%. I think a proper idea would be to handle resistance increase/decrease the same way you do it for the chance to get hit.
Dugi wrote:
RainerT wrote:An axe doesn't fit with an elvish wizard. A more elegant weapon like sabre, dagger or perhaps a spear would fit better.
Sword was forbidden, because Efraim wears one, so she would not be the first one to get the best weapon that fits her. Dagger is a sneaky weapon, and she is not much sneaky. A spear is a possibility, it certainly fits elves, but it looks somewhat primitive and too huge to carry around if you are not going to use it a lot. A small axe is light, easy to carry, lighter than a sword, but still able to hit hard, unlike a dagger.
If you persuade me, I might change it, but altering the profile would not be so easy.
To change it just for the style is not worth the effort. One of my points is also that Lethalia is as strong as Efraim in melee and a lot stronger in missle. Therefor I voted for removing the axe and just keep the staff.
Dugi wrote:
RainerT wrote:The other point is the balancing issue. Efraim and Lethalia are too powerful and I agree with others that it takes some fun out of the gameplay.
They were supposed to be stronger than others, but if they are too strong, I might weaken them, but I would prefer to weaken them by making them advance slower, because they are not much stronger than other units without advancements and their advancements are not much stronger than other units' advancements. What do you think?
I don't think the advancement should be lower than it is now. I vote for lower base damages and and resistances. That way the difference between them and ordinary units is lower and better for the gameplay. I guess it is also more practical for people inside a campaign, because it doesn't affect the current advancement, but I'm not shore about that fact.
Dugi wrote:I have altered the map in Den of Evil recently (like two weeks ago), you might want to try whether it is better or not.
I played the new map (2.4.11). It's not the map but the sheer number of enemies I don't like. It took me over 200 turns and it was alwas doing the same. To be honest, it was one of the most boring level I played in the whole campaign.
Dugi wrote:The first crossbow advancement of Duke seemed to be correct. The second one was bugged and wasn't doing anything. Am I right?
You are right, it is the second advancement.
Dugi wrote:How can the thorns of Dwarvish Battlerager damage his allies when it damages the units that hit him and allies cannot hit him? You possibly meant the leeches of Faerie Incarnation, but that was intended.
It happend with a Dwarvish Battleager but it's not the thorns, as I found out now. He has an Axe of Malice und this one sucks two points of life from everybody next to him. There must be a bug.
Dugi wrote:Most ordinary archers can get marksman, and some of them can also get focused and guided.
But it's not available for any melee attacks? Do Duke and Shadowalker get marksmen for their crossbows?
Dugi wrote:
RainerT wrote:Finally a graphical thing. You took the graphics for the Faerie Incarnation from one of the fairies in IftU. What about using the graphics from Elynia in that module? It looks nicer and has a staff, which fits better with the Farie Incarnation.
I don't think it comes from IftU, I think it was from elsewhere, and IftU took it from there too, but I am not sure, I added it quite some time ago. I have animated it myself. But I might use the old (animated) sprite for Elynia, it has a nice animation (I like the old one more). Shadowmaster will be certainly glad that his animating work on that sprite will not be in vain when it is replaced by a new one.
I saw also some nice fairy models in the "The Legend begins" campaign.
macherb

Post by macherb »

Hi,

I started the Legends (after some time) again ....

And there are some questions concerning pickable items:
The description of items: Is somewhere a legend explaining, what the text colors of the itemproperties mean? (OK, magenta denotes requirement of another item)
Function: Efraim has Sword of Baryn, Demin Core, Mask of Famine, Ring of Deathaura. Which of the properties is responsible for losing all hitpoints (in my case 63) at the beginning of a scenario? Which property is responsible for 2 point damage of surrounding own units?

Thanks
Herbert
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

hi i just played the scenario 09_Across_the_Barren_Land from chapter 6, and the problem is that avter each move of my units the game freezes for 2 seconds, maybe thats because the lot of "moveto" events. Would be niche if you do somethink about that, maybe splitting the scenario into two would be an option.
macherb wrote:Which property is responsible for 2 point damage of surrounding own units?
it is the Mask of Famine (ability leeches)

EDIT: I noticed this affects the enemy moves too, i think thats the rreason why the enemy moves take so much time

EDIT2: I remember when i had a lot of items laying on the ground in a previous scenario i din't have the problem maybe you should make the logics simailar to the item pickup logics.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

RainerT wrote:I would remove the lightning attack completly. You could add an area spell for arcane. Then you have two spells for any damage type plus the particle storm. That is absolutly enough, especially since the number of advancements is reduced.
I'll think about it, but I'll probably do it.
RainerT wrote:The problem is, resistances are a lot more important in your campaign than in ordinary campaigns, especially the magical ones. The best solution would be, that any unit gets better resistances with their final upgrade and units with lower resistances should get a bit more than the ones with high resistances. A general problem is the altering of resistances due to added items. If you give +20 item to a -10 unit it makes less difference than giving it to a unit with +30. The first one reduces the taken damage by around 18%, while the second one around 28%. I think a proper idea would be to handle resistance increase/decrease the same way you do it for the chance to get hit.
You are suggesting something that is a part of the campaign for long. Magical resistances and in some rare cases physical resistances are simply added, but physical resistances are added in the way you just suggested. If an item's description says 20% to physical resistances, it adds 20% to units that have currently 0%, it adds more to units that have less and less to units that have more (units with -50% resistance would get 30% to resistances from that item, units with 50% reistance would get 10% to that resistance). Advancements add the resistances normally, but the exact numbers are specific for every single unit (they might be replaced by more convenient numbers if you suggest where).
RainerT wrote:To change it just for the style is not worth the effort. One of my points is also that Lethalia is as strong as Efraim in melee and a lot stronger in missle. Therefor I voted for removing the axe and just keep the staff.
The base damage of the axe might be decreased (also with the damage of the staff), and I would prefer that possibility. I have already explained why she should logically be able to use a melee weapon.
RainerT wrote:I vote for lower base damages and and resistances.
Their base damages and resistances are not much higher than the base damages of other, ordinary units. As preserved liches, they have the lowest base resistances as a hybrid between living and lich could logically have, as demigods, there are some warrior units like Swordmaster or Destroyer whose base resistances are better.
RainerT wrote:I played the new map (2.4.11). It's not the map but the sheer number of enemies I don't like. It took me over 200 turns and it was alwas doing the same. To be honest, it was one of the most boring level I played in the whole campaign.
Less enemies, okay.
RainerT wrote:It happend with a Dwarvish Battleager but it's not the thorns, as I found out now. He has an Axe of Malice und this one sucks two points of life from everybody next to him. There must be a bug.
I said there is an ability that sucks 2 points of life from all adjacent units, allies and enemies alike, and this property is intended. Or do you want to alter it?
RainerT wrote:But it's not available for any melee attacks? Do Duke and Shadowalker get marksmen for their crossbows?
It is not available for melee attacks, neither for secondary attacks, such as Duke's and Shadowalker's crossbow. Do you want to change it?
RainerT wrote:I saw also some nice fairy models in the "The Legend begins" campaign.
I don't believe Knightmare made more sprites than absolutely necessary. They must be taken from elsewhere, probably Era of Chaos.
macherb wrote:The description of items: Is somewhere a legend explaining, what the text colors of the itemproperties mean?
The difference between colours is not very important, just that some effects are always green, some are always blue, some are always yellow and some are always orange. The green ones are usually offensive properties, blue ones are defensive, yellow ones are adding advancements and orange ones are temporary (on potions). As you guessed, purple ones are indicating that it requires some item, and if they are written in bold, the requires item is equipped and the property is taking effect.
macherb wrote:Which of the properties is responsible for losing all hitpoints (in my case 63) at the beginning of a scenario?
It is probably Mask of Famine. But this is related to a serious bug in Wesnoth. Update to wesnoth 1.10.5 to get it fixed.
gfgtdf wrote:i just played the scenario 09_Across_the_Barren_Land from chapter 6, and the problem is that avter each move of my units the game freezes for 2 seconds,
I did not expect wesnoth to be so slow at executing some things. I am aware of it, and I plan to rewrite it to be slightly worse, but without these delays.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

wesnoth is very slow with radius because it works similar to this: at first it puts all locations that fit the condition at a huge list and then checks weather the list contains the location of the unit. I solved the problems for me wirh settting all the radiuses to 5, that could mean i have to search for the events a little but i tihnk it is the lesser pain.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I am aware of that now, but I learned it after writing chapter 6. I know what I should repair, radius 5 is too small, but I can make the activation zones square instead of circular and it is quick enough in that case. In some later scenarios, it is working like that and you see no delays when you move, unless something really happens.
Naron

Post by Naron »

Dugi wrote:
Naron wrote:There is an item that allows immunity to slow? It is very annoying when my units are slowed by this attack.
There is none. And coding that ability is kinda tricky, but it can be done.

I was referred to an item that could cancel the effect of slowing. I saw that there is an item that allows immunity to poison, hence me the idea that there could be an item for slowing.
Dugi wrote:
Naron wrote:And why this attack has a more prolonged effect on Efraim or Lethalia? I mean by this that the effect of the attack lasts even two turns, does not disappear at the beginning of the next turn. Is this intentional or a bug?
I didn't do a thing with slow. Can you verify whether it might not be some kind of unexpected default behaviour, like Piko555 suggested?
Is it possible that I'm wrong, however I think Efraim/Lethalia are slowed longer than regular units.
I have no technical knowledge of WML or other, so I will try to describe as best I can.
During AI's turn, Efraim is attacked by a demon and slowed. Then comes my turn, and here is the problem, Efraim is still slowed and I can not use it effectively. Only when AI turn begins again, the effect disappears (if Efraim is not attacked again by slowing).
It is normal and I'm wrong?
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Naron wrote:I was referred to an item that could cancel the effect of slowing. I saw that there is an item that allows immunity to poison, hence me the idea that there could be an item for slowing.
Coding it is something completely different. The undead are immune to poison, so the unit that was immune to poison just became a undead for the time of a poisonous attack, so it did not became poisoned. There is no way to do this for slowing. It could only be done so that the slow effect would end when the attack ends. There is a specific reason why I cannot remove slow from the enemy for the time of the attack, it would clash with some scenarios' settings.
Naron wrote:It is normal and I'm wrong?
Normally, if you slow an enemy, he will be slowed also during his turn. Analogically, if an enemy slows you, you will be slowed also during your turn. If you have some counterevidence, mention it.
Naron

Post by Naron »

Dugi wrote:Coding it is something completely different. The undead are immune to poison, so the unit that was immune to poison just became a undead for the time of a poisonous attack, so it did not became poisoned. There is no way to do this for slowing. It could only be done so that the slow effect would end when the attack ends. There is a specific reason why I cannot remove slow from the enemy for the time of the attack, it would clash with some scenarios' settings.
But I got an idea: the unit could become petrified while being attacked by slowing. A stone should be immune to the slowing. Just an idea ...
Dugi wrote:Normally, if you slow an enemy, he will be slowed also during his turn. Analogically, if an enemy slows you, you will be slowed also during your turn. If you have some counterevidence, mention it.
Thank you for the clarification, now I understand how this works.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

i just dropped glitch item in scenario Across the Barren Land according to the savegamefile it has number 75 but no item number 75 exists
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Naron wrote:But I got an idea: the unit could become petrified while being attacked by slowing. A stone should be immune to the slowing. Just an idea ...
Petrification stops the combat, as petrified units cannot be attacked normally. That would not do the trick.
gfgtdf wrote:i just dropped glitch item in scenario Across the Barren Land according to the savegamefile it has number 75 but no item number 75 exists
Seems this glitch item made it easier to find bugged items. The item whose number was supposed to be 75 was accidentally written as 57. Thanks for reporting.
Naron

Post by Naron »

Dugi wrote:Petrification stops the combat, as petrified units cannot be attacked normally. That would not do the trick.
But that's the idea. That will avoid slowing. When a unit is attacked with the slowing attack, it becomes petrified, and the enemy will immediately lose the remaining number of attacks. This would be somewhat similar to ambushing, when an unit loses all remaining moves.
What I described above happens only if the enemy uses slow attack. For other types of attacks, normal methods are applied.
How do you think it sounds?