Difficulty settings.

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Falo

Difficulty settings.

Post by Falo »

Does increasing the difficulty simply make it so the chance for them to hit is a lot higher than it is for you to hit them?
Hulavuta

Re: Difficulty settings.

Post by Hulavuta »

No, difficulty doesn't (shouldn't) change the probabilities to hit. Generally, the difficulty increases the amount of gold the enemies have. That is usually the case for most campaigns, but campaign authors can also put in things such as giving them access to stronger units to recruit, etc.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Falo

Post by Falo »

Hmmm strange, I am finding that the enemy seems to hit a hell of a lot more times than I hit them... At first I didn't think much of it (I was playing on the hardest difficulty) but now it is sticking out like a sore thumb, it is as if no matter where I put my units I am attack them then they are on 70% defense and I am standing on 20% defense ground.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Nope, that's just a cognitive bias at work. If you actually do the math, you'll find (given a big enough sample) that the probabilities aren't skewed at anyone's favour. Of course, on harder difficulties the enemies will tend to have higher level units and more of them, so when on a given turn you get bad luck and they get good luck, it'll hurt you more than on easier difficulties.

And certainly you'll occasionally get several consecutive turns of bad luck, or bad luck at the worst possible moment, but taking precautions and dealing with luck swings is a core part of the game.
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

The ground your units are standing on is almost entirely up to you. Perhaps the AI in the campaign you are playing is recruiting units with higher movement points (MP) at the given difficulty level, which allows them to move to better terrain faster. Could you provide a screen capture or save game illustrating the differences in difficulty levels at the same scenario?
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

One thing to mention, is that there is sometimes better AI code in the harder difficulties, so you might just be noticing a better strategy in general. Not all campaigns have modified AI though, but I thought I'd mention it.
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

Are your enemies using magical or marksman attacks Falo? It might seem simple but I overlooked that when I first began play BfW.