Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: LordBob's commissionned work

Post by thespaceinvader »

I really like the extra arm. It's subtle and unsettling to notice, and therefore, perfect.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Yes I love the second sketch. It did address all my concerns. Personally I like the extra arm... As you said we dont have to stick to the standard look and it heightens the distinctness of wesnoth fantasy setting
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Great sketches. :D
I like both sketches, but the impression of the previous Lich's face, is much more frightening than the face of the last sketch. :hmm:

Why not four arms (I like symmetry) :wink:
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

I have to say I like the arm (and I feel many people watching this thread do as well, they just aren't as vocal as the people who dislike it), so of course do whatever you want with it.

Just a comment to people about it not looking strong/intimidating, etc enough. Most of that is because it's a black and white full body sketch. With a appropriate cropping and coloring, it will look much different.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Adamant14 wrote:Great sketches. :D
I like both sketches, but the impression of the previous Lich's face, is much more frightening than the face of the last sketch. :hmm:

Why not four arms (I like symmetry) :wink:
I agree, the other sketch was more menacing. It had this, 'what're you looking at?' feel to it, instead of being physically buff.

And yeah, maybe I dislike the 3rd arm bc it's not symmetric :wink:
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

vultraz wrote:And yeah, maybe I dislike the 3rd arm bc it's not symmetric :wink:
Huh, same here. Looks like we've both got OCD... :lol2:

Anyway, I like the new sketch better than the old one, for the same reason vultraz mentioned. As always, I'm quite impressed. ;)
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

I hesitate to add to the peanut gallery noise, but I'm just going to pop in and say that I do like the third arm, and for the very reason that others don't like it. I think the asymmetry is cool, and adds to the character.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Ah. See how difficult it is to please everyone ? :roll:

Anyway, thank you for your support and patience: here's a rough colouring of the final sketch. Based on the last two pages, we could argue about it forever, so I'm willing to consider this as the best compromis we'll ever get.

Next, I'll set aside the lich for a while, so that the whole concept can ripen while I get back to the rest of the cast.
Attachments
Wesnoth_ancient_lich-study4.jpg
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

The image looks pretty good, can't wait to see the final version.

Just a few small things that look kinda strange:
He has three arms. It's okay, liches can attach additional limbs to their skeleton. But this lich isn't skeletal, he is mummified. Adding a new limb to a mummified body would require manipulating the dead flesh.
If he is somehow fleshy, and that would imply that he should not be highly resistant to pierce and should not be so vulnerable to impact. Also, a skeletal lich is meant to advance into a fleshy lich? Does he wrap his body in new flesh? Does he take a new body? (but because you've already drawn it, don't give a damn about this)
His footwear is kinda funny, looking terribly impractical. I would expect the liches to walk barefoot, because they will not get their feet hurt when they step on a sharp object.
Can you add a few more trinkets on his chest? If his chest was covered a bit more, it would be impossible to tell if he is male or female (I have actually seen mummies, and a female mummy could be distinguished from a male by a structure that was probably breasts once; the crotch was usually covered to preserve some dignity of these dead), making it fit for both genders (regarding the code, ancient liches are sexless anyway).
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Dugi wrote:If he is somehow fleshy, and that would imply that he should not be highly resistant to pierce and should not be so vulnerable to impact. Also, a skeletal lich is meant to advance into a fleshy lich? Does he wrap his body in new flesh? Does he take a new body?
:roll:

It's simpler than that: not all decay leads to bare bone, and it does not require embalming to turn a dead body into a mix of bone and dessicated flesh. Sometimes, dry air and little to no necrophagous lifeforms (such as in a tomb) will do just as well. Either way, the resilience of mummified "flesh" shouldn't be so different from your average animated skeleton: only dark magic prevents it from crumbling into dust, and it's not like they have any vital organs to hit.

About the extra arm, how they do it isn't my concern: it just works. Besides, if you're ready to accept that an already dead skeleton is animated by dark magic, I don't see where's the problem with an extra portion of dead flesh.

As for the footwear, they're meant as decayed leather shoes/sandals. One tries not to take them off too aften, when one's foot might come with the shoe...
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

The wind that affects the robe does not affect the hanging staff decorations.
Depends on how ultra light you intend the cloth to be, because the wind does not seem to affect the posture much, also.
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
Speedbrain

Post by Speedbrain »

:augh: I bet LordBob is getting sick and tired of everybody nitpicking, especially things that can be explained by the rule of cool.
I think this is fantastic and can't wait to see the final version.

Perhaps at this point only real art people (with titles) should crit this piece any more.
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

I know I said I didn't particularly like the third arm, but with the coloring it looks better. (to me)

I can't wait to see the finished version. :)
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Speedbrain wrote::augh: I bet LordBob is getting sick and tired of everybody nitpicking, especially things that can be explained by the rule of cool.
I think this is fantastic and can't wait to see the final version.

Perhaps at this point only real art people (with titles) should crit this piece any more.
If LordBob wants to limit it, let him.

However, I can remind people that they need to read the critique guidelines, and keep in mind that the artist is free to ignore their nitpicking.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

There is a tangent happening that needs to be resolved, where the helmet horn and sceptre "touch." Also the cloth under the lich's left elbow could break form a bit more too.