Where is the topic of resourcers for composers?

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

marcusvinicius

Where is the topic of resourcers for composers?

Post by marcusvinicius »

Here we use to have a topic that had resourcers for composers such as soundfonts, VST's and etc... Where is that topic?
Wherever it is, I just want to show you this project:

http://www.totalcomposure.com/products/tco/tco.php

They made a free orchestra for Kontact and it is in the KVR 2012 dev challenge.
Nothing more to say, just good bye :D
Listen to the music
O que faz de mim ser o que sou. É gostar de ir por onde ninguém for
West
Retired Lord of Music

Re: Where is the topic of resourcers for composers?

Post by West »

marcusvinicius wrote:Here we use to have a topic that had resourcers for composers such as soundfonts, VST's and etc... Where is that topic?
Someone (not me) must have deleted it, and it was probably just as well. Last time I checked most of those links were dead, and that was more than two years ago.
marcusvinicius wrote:Wherever it is, I just want to show you this project:

http://www.totalcomposure.com/products/tco/tco.php

They made a free orchestra for Kontact and it is in the KVR 2012 dev challenge.
Nothing more to say, just good bye :D
I haven't tried it (as I don't have Kontakt and no intention of ever getting it) but I had a look at a couple of the demo vids and the question I ask myself is: if you own Kontakt, don't you already have superior orchestral library? Isn't there some light version of VSL included with the Kontakt default library? Not that there's anything wrong with having more to choose from of course. It just seemed like an odd choice making this a Kontakt library.

If anyone tries this library, please let me know if the files are monolithic or not (i.e. if you can access the wav files or if it's just nki's).

Thanks for the heads up Marcus. Perhaps a new music resource thread would be in order.
marcusvinicius

Post by marcusvinicius »

Hello Mattias, it's a long time I don't see you :lol2:
I thought the same thing that you did. I think the developer wanted some resourcers from Kontakt to make those samples sound better, anyway ces't la vie. I haven't tried yet, actually I don't have Kontakt :P
Kontakt's price today is 200 bucks, a little expensive but it seems it comes with a huge library of instruments, I think it's a good deal.
Listen to the music
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

marcusvinicius wrote:Kontakt's price today is 200 bucks, a little expensive but it seems it comes with a huge library of instruments, I think it's a good deal.
To each his own and all that, but I refuse to have anything to do with a company that uses an encrypted monolithic file format. If Native Instruments files for bankruptcy in five years, what will happen then to all your expensive Kontakt libraries? They're going to be hundreds of gigabytes of digital landfill, that's what. Because when NI's software activation servers start going offline and no more updates are provided for whatever OS your new DAW computer comes loaded with, you're screwed.

And before anyone says "that will never happen to NI", one word: Gigastudio.

I really, really hate short-sighted, greedy customer lock-in tactics like this and I just wish people would stop supporting companies that use them. I for one am happy to live without all the features of Kontakt in exchange for knowing that I'll still be able to use all my sample libraries five, ten or twenty years from now.

Something to think about before giving NI your money.
marcusvinicius

Post by marcusvinicius »

Actually NI has a strong marketing over internet, I think most of people who buy products like Kontakt don't care much about those questions, for most of the professional producers the only thing that really matters is the quality and how pratical is the sampler, how many features it has... I'm sure professional producers can have a faster return of their money and there will be no problem if Kontakt goes discontinued, it is not a big problem for those people. Your point is really a good point and I think the same way that you do but it doesn't fit in the capitalist world we are living, the "system" makes the people think they always have to buy new stuff so they'll always support the big interprises...
Listen to the music
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

marcusvinicius wrote:I think most of people who buy products like Kontakt don't care much about those questions, for most of the professional producers the only thing that really matters is the quality and how pratical is the sampler, how many features it has...
Yes I agree, that seems to be the case and that is what saddens me. Really no different from how people buy TV's or smartphones etc so it's just the sign of the times I guess. "Damn, I've had this $700 TV for a year now, I need to get a new one!"
marcusvinicius wrote:I'm sure professional producers can have a faster return of their money and there will be no problem if Kontakt goes discontinued, it is not a big problem for those people.
I doubt it. Return of their money how? If NI goes belly up, there is no money, and even if there was, why would the company return their customer's money? And you can't resell the stuff because no one else will be able to activate and use it either (if NI even allows reselling), so it's worthless.

Some perverse part of me actually wishes for this to happen. Would be a valuable lesson to a lot of people I think.
marcusvinicius wrote:Your point is really a good point and I think the same way that you do but it doesn't fit in the capitalist world we are living, the "system" makes the people think they always have to buy new stuff so they'll always support the big interprises...
Yep, sad but true.
marcusvinicius

Post by marcusvinicius »

I doubt it. Return of their money how? If NI goes belly up, there is no money, and even if there was, why would the company return their customer's money? And you can't resell the stuff because no one else will be able to activate and use it either (if NI even allows reselling), so it's worthless.

Some perverse part of me actually wishes for this to happen. Would be a valuable lesson to a lot of people I think.
I used a portuguese expression( I guess I saw some american using that too) maybe you got me wrong. When I say "return the money" I mean earn money enough using the software, more than its price :mrgreen: .
Listen to the music
Moderator Emeritus

Post by 8680 »

I believe that would be a return on their money. Which, by the literal meaning of the words, makes no sense, as colloquialisms are alas wont to do.
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

8680 wrote:I believe that would be a return on their money. Which, by the literal meaning of the words, makes no sense, as colloquialisms are alas wont to do.
That is probably what threw me off as well. I thought marcusvinicius was talking about customers getting their money back.

At any rate, I tend to look on sample libraries as investments and tools rather than just something that can be more or less easily discarded after a job is done. Same way I look on musical instruments basically. It wouldn't matter to me if I made a million dollars using [some library]. I'd still be plenty pissed off if I suddenly weren't able to use this musical tool anymore. Since it's a tool that requires a large investment of time in getting to know it and learning how to use it. It's not like switching guitar amps or antyhing like that.