LordBob's commissionned work

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Adamant14

Re: LordBob's commissionned work

Post by Adamant14 »

Number 3, and number 24 are my favourite woses. :)
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

Though a good half of these creatures are spookier and/or more aggressive than we'd want our woses to be...
I'm OK with that as I've already expressed (page 22 of this thread) that Wesnoth already has multiple humanoid races, so making Woses more monstrous is refreshing (of course it's up to art directors to decide this matter). I like sketches 5, 10 and 21.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

19 is my preference.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I liked 8,15 and 24 the most. But everything you're doing is great...
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

I don't think it is bad if a wose looks spooky, I remember some campaign where even humans said that elvish architecture looked ghastly.
And I think old trees looking scary in the dark is probably part of the creation of the living/walking tree folklore.

I like all the woses except 2 and 3 because of the arms becoming thicker towards the end, like the bigfoot and bigfist crossbreeds we see in some popular games.

Some of those look like they could be interesting challenges.

Ok, I just pick... 18 (the "winged gargoyle" tree), looks nice and interesting. How would you make that face look like it's a big tree and not a tiny detail enlarged?
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

4, 12, and 26 are the ones I like best. :)
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I see nothing wrong with spooky either. If someone needs a good elder wose, they can recycle kindly old Rithrandil from TRoW. I don't have a favorite, but some of them look old and decayed, rather than old and very powerful, which they are in the game.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

It reminds me the times of drawing crazy bonsai. I would go with 1 or 3.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

beetlenaut wrote:I think the generic ancient lich should remain mostly humanoid to provide more contrast for the bizarre bodies of the campaign-specific ones.
Yeah, I agree with this. One or two light modifications (like a pair of extra arms) are fine, but going too crazy (like having skeletal horse legs or whatnot) is probably out.

It may be more helpful to point out aspects of individual thumbnail sketches which you like, rather than the whole sketch. By pointing that out, those can be kept if he ends up combining aspects for a final design. Then again they might not work from all angles; some designs need a pose to be evident.

I'm going to contradict my own suggestion and list some of the liches I like without individual justification (although it's mostly their stance/poses I'm saying that I like). 1 2 3 5 6 12 19 20 21 23 26 27 28 29
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Duly noted. And so, here's a run of mostly-humanoid (too much so, perhaps ?) concepts. Whichever is retained, I will most likely add some bling, decay and weird body parts, because right now some of those feel more Lich than Ancient. :hmm:
Jetrel wrote:It may be more helpful to point out aspects of individual thumbnail sketches which you like, rather than the whole sketch. By pointing that out, those can be kept if he ends up combining aspects for a final design.
Absolutely !
Attachments
Wesnoth_ancient_lich-study2.jpg
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

I'd say A, G or H. I really like G, it looks so dark.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

I like F and H. And unless I'm mistaken H and I are meant to resemble ancient Egypt to make them feel more ancient, right? (cool idea!)
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

New ancient liches: I like D (aggressive) and G (threatening). F is also good as an alternative if the circumstances of encounter of a lich are hmm... unusual and peculiar.
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

"I" looks more like ancient egypt to me, with the Set-like appearance. "H" looks more renaissance style with the puffy hat and shoulders. I really like "I" btw, maybe with some more bling.

I'm not a big fan of them being impaled, it doesn't make much sense to leave stuff like that inside yourself. I'd imagine it would be a quite a hindrance. It's alright for the less sentient like the skeleton line.

The "G" is cool but it would indeed need something more to make it look less like a normal lich.

I'm not sure how "F" would translate into an actual unit in game. It would be a bit on the odd side if he stayed on his hoverrock at all times during combat. If you want to use the concept then it would better be used for a 2-stage special campaign lich I think.

Imo, I'd go with "I". Second the pose of "G", using some of the more traditional gear of A, B, C. Or you could go with "D", using some gear of the others (not "H", with "H" I think it's current pose would be better).
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
TheCripple

Post by TheCripple »

I quite like G's pose, though it needs a little more in the way of ornament and I'm not particularly fond of it being impaled in the portrait.