lipk

Re: Standing and idle animations?

Post by lipk »

Nice!
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

First of all, this animation is technically much better than any of your others. However, I'm not sure I get it. Is he flinching when the fire on the ground gets out of control? If so, why isn't he bothered by the fire on his hand? If you leave that bit off, it might be better. Also, it kind of looks like he dropped something to start a fire. If his hand moved up just a bit as it started, it would be more obvious that he summoned it. There is a small technical issue too: his bottom half is too static. When he moves his arms, his robes pull upwards a bit, but only on the top, and you can't jerk your torso back without your knees moving a bit as well. (Try it!)
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Zoomo

Post by Zoomo »

He was supposed to be summoning a bone which exploded
is this better
Attachments
adept-idle.gif
adept-idle.gif (38.96 KiB) Viewed 5336 times
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Better. I can see it now. Still needs work on the lower half.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

(non-artist opinion here) try to make the bone bigger, it might be more recognisable that way...

you might also try to leave the bone hovering for a couple of frames so we have time to "read" it before it explodes...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

I second everything Boucman said. (I'm not an artist either though)

And I have to say, that movement looks great. I'm not going to comment on how well you did it, as I'm no artist, but I like the concept. :D
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Animation is cool. I was not really convinced by the face at first, but I guess it's alright. I would never ever have guessed that was a bone he was summoning, though. And I can spot it only because you've told me it was. So I'm not sure if it should kept as is as an easter egg of sorts, be made more obvious or just removed in favor of just some sparks that'd stagger the DA...
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Zoomo

Post by Zoomo »

I made a standing animation for the bandit
Attachments
bandit-anim.gif
bandit-anim.gif (21.87 KiB) Viewed 5133 times
Zoomo

Post by Zoomo »

I Updated and tweaked him to make it a bit smoother. he also has anti-aliasing too, but the gif doesn't show it
Attachments
2440623.gif
2440623.gif (21.85 KiB) Viewed 4978 times
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Anti-aliasing won't show if you make the gif animation without a background, because gif don't support alpha channels. That is if you meant you anti-aliased the edges of the sprite.

I think the overall movement of the bandit is quite nice, especially the lower arms and the club. There's just two things that's not quite right though.

First the hips look like they move up and down with the bobbing motion and hips just don't work that way. You need to bend the legs instead... You have made some leg motion but it is not enough to show that they are bending. The knee to our right should move out a little when going down.

The upper arms muscles seem to distort a bit. I'm thinking of the line between the biceps and triceps on the arm to our right. Also the biceps of the left arm look a bit static while the rest of the arm moves.

For the adept idle: I like the idea. The motion is alright as it is, just need some cleanup with the missing pixels... It would be improved with some bending of the knees when recoiling like beetlenaut said though.

I second that the bone could be a bit bigger.

Perhaps the magic effects would be better used in an halo?

While the facial expressions are really nice there is too much use of black lines in last part where he is recoiling. Making the face get very noticeably darker.
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
Zoomo

Post by Zoomo »

added bending in the knees. I also tried to fix the biceps but I'm not sure I like them yet.
Attachments
2449382.gif
2449382.gif (21.85 KiB) Viewed 4904 times
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

It's a step in the right direction but i think you overdid it a bit. The bob don't need one more pixels vertical movement, it was better as it was I think... We don't want too much movement on these animations in general but it depends on the unit type.

The leg to our right is good, but the one to our left should bend much less to the left, right now it makes him look bowlegged. According to his body angle it should bend towards us. The way to animate that is to put more light on the top of his knee and thigh when bending and putting the lower leg more into shadow.

Well, the arm movement is a little smoother yes but that's not all that i meant. I mean the bicep to our right looks different to the base sprite. It looks more... separated, from the arm in the animation than in the base sprite.

And the upper arm to our left could swing out just a little more from the body. The way the lower arm moves would suggest the upper should too but it is not.
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

My personal opinion is that you overdid the movement of that sprite way too much. Is he supposed to just be breathing? AS it is, it looks like he is flexing in a hulk-tearing-off-his-shirt way. It might be cool for an idle animation, but for a standing one? Doesn't make much sense, there's way too much movement involved. I would especially cut on the knees sideway movement and on the arm movement at the level of the elbow. I also can't picture what the highlight change in his chest is. I guess it's meant to indicate breathing, but as far as I can tell, it doesn't.

(I am not a graphic artist)
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Ah yes... If the intention is breathing then it is definitely too much. Maybe I found it alright in my brain because of the more cartoony vibe it gives, it just seemed to fit the thug line somewhat.

With exaggerated breathing the chest expands a little in the front and sides and making the back arc backward, making the head and shoulders look like they are moving back slightly when pulling in air. The motion then naturally translates into the arms... It doesn't look quite right if you don't move the legs a little too, in rhythm to the breathing.
- Nercy Masayon