Facts of Funny and Ridiculous settings series.

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

PhilipN

Re: Facts of Funny and Ridiculous settings series.

Post by PhilipN »

And by the way, Mushroom Groves ARE groves of giant mushrooms, and mushrooms DO require decaying organic matter in real life.

Also, I would suggest that the Cuttlefish is not identical to the real-life cuttlefish of the same name, that doesn't have tentacles capable of killing humans and even tougher creatures. It is perfectly reasonable that the ink of a giant Wesnothian cuttlefish could be poisonous!

For those who doubt that ghosts should be weak against fire attacks, just look at the scene in Lord of the Rings where Aragorn fights the Nazgul.

And who says trolls are made of sheer rock? They're rock-like creatures, but they surely have joints and such...
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

For those who doubt that ghosts should be weak against fire attacks, just look at the scene in Lord of the Rings where Aragorn fights the Nazgul.
WINLOTR, but I agree with you. (I know you're just using it as an example)
And who says trolls are made of sheer rock? They're rock-like creatures, but they surely have joints and such...
I agree that they aren't made of rock. (they have thick rock looking skin, but they aren't stone)
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

1. Nazgul does not die unless Saron dies...besides, wesnoth is not lord of rings. So anyway, ghosts fear fire, here they resists it simply for balance issues. What I was expecting to get is an explanation, not the bitchering of "nonono. they don't fear fire, for instance xxxghost vs xxxhero who uses fire"...some ados like that.

2. Mushroom Grove thing, well... :geek: Gotta work harder on botany, hm? Even if you are right, based on some part of knowledge out of my range, though I don't really concur based on common sense, IMO, the power of dead can make some effects like recharging the undead soldiers' vigor(restore hp per turn), but providing more dodge rate is not making much sense.

3. Who-T-F said trolls are MADE of rocks!? :evil: It is but a wording!!! :doh: They are but rock-born, just like humans are nearly made of water, drakes are nearly made of fire.
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

About the Slurbow: The descriptions are not from an actual omniscient outside observer, but as a Wesnoth scholar would see them (see thundersticks).:"Obviously those stupid orc savages could never produce better crossbows than ours! They must be stolen!"
By the way, in a deviation from English fluff, the German translation actually credits the orcs for creating the Slurbow, or Kharrasch (said to be the Orc word for hammer), as it is called in the translation. I actually prefer this version to the original fluff.

Due to the high overall resistance and very low hitpoints of ghosts, a low resistance for fire is probably better than a vulnerabillity. And relative to all other resistances except arcane, it is very low.
If this is not sufficient: Fire consumes what little essence a ghost has, but being a physical phenomenon, it is still not as effective as the pure magic of arcane curses.
After far too long an absence, I have returned.
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

They are but rock-born, just like humans are nearly made of water
Where'd you get that idea? (not saying you're wrong, but rather wanting to know why you think that)
drakes are nearly made of fire
IIRC, drakes only have a small 'internal fire' that keeps them warm and allows them to breath fire, they aren't made of fire.
By the way, in a deviation from English fluff, the German translation actually credits the orcs for creating the Slurbow, or Kharrasch (said to be the Orc word for hammer), as it is called in the translation. I actually prefer this version to the original fluff.
I agree, that is better. I personally have always wanted that to be changed as such.
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
PhilipN

Post by PhilipN »

I only brought up the thing about trolls not being made of rock because someone earlier had made a point about trolls vs. HI based on their weight (using the density of rock as the trolls' density).

And while Wesnoth is not Lord of the Rings (or any other particular fantasy series/world), it borrows from many of them (for example, the Wesnoth devs clearly didn't invent the concept of a dwarf or elf), so I was looking to the only fantasy reference I've seen so far of someone attempting to use fire as a weapon to attack a spirit-enemy.
PhilipN

Post by PhilipN »

Another funny/ridiculous setting I thought of--

Why is the Cuttlefish's ink attack a "pierce" attack?
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

because of the quill, I'd imagine :wink:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

About the Slurbow: The descriptions are not from an actual omniscient outside observer, but as a Wesnoth scholar would see them (see thundersticks).:"Obviously those stupid orc savages could never produce better crossbows than ours! They must be stolen!"
Hmm, this is a rather interesting theory. You mean, the slurbow was initially designed by Germany creators, and was described as orcs' oringinal crafts? :hmm:
If that is the case, I think we gotta to fix the translation; or not, slurbow is made by other races and orcs get it, that still don't make much difference.
Another branch logical problem induced by slurbow is, repeating crossbow should have greater speed in shooting than conventional bows. But humans shot faster than them, which is...hm
They are but rock-born, just like humans are nearly made of water
Where'd you get that idea? (not saying you're wrong, but rather wanting to know why you think that)

drakes are nearly made of fire
IIRC, drakes only have a small 'internal fire' that keeps them warm and allows them to breath fire, they aren't made of fire.
Forget these issues...I am done with this. :doh: I don't understand why do you guys obsessively dig with such a minor wording problem... :evil: They are BUT water-made, fire-made, rock-made...EVERYBODY know what does that mean, it is BUT a causual wording. Why, my dear Scribe, why the heck, FOR what reason, do you always stumble againt me? :augh: Just like I say the earth is a sphere, somebody is definetly gotta jump out and shout "NONONO! earth is actually more of a ellipsoid".
because of the quill
How does quill penetrate?
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

Why, my dear Scribe, why the heck, FOR what reason, do you always stumble againt me?
:hmm: I really don't know where you got this idea. I didn't know why you thought Trolls were rock-born, but I didn't say you were wrong. I haven't been 'obsessively digging', or at least I didn't think I was. I was simply saying that drakes aren't 90% fire, like humans are with water. So, if I offended you in any way while I was trying to help you figure out why things are the way they are, I am deeply sorry. I had no intention of attacking you in any way.
How does quill penetrate?
It would act like a dart. (and I'm pretty sure he was joking...)
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

and I'm pretty sure he was joking...
Good point :lol2:

The ideas of "trolls are rock-born", was presented in the portraits at first, which are choosen and applied in wesnoth, IMO shows much difference with Lord of the Rings (in where trolls are gigantic monsters of flesh and blood); secondary, the culture of wesnoth, presented in many UMCs and mainline campaigns, accepted by many authors in their plots, that trolls are "dumb annoying rocks", gave me this idea.
I will get some examples sooner. hold on
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

That seems like a valid explanation about the trolls. (I guess they really embraced the 'dumb as rocks' statment on that one, eh?)
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

Spoiler:
Though, it is not told precisely, and they only mentioned that they love stones, but such kind of creature which require little energy support, and die a stone, is rather stone-like and stone-related.
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

Makes sense to me.
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

I got a new idea recently:
Troll whelp 11-2 42 hp, $16
HI 7-2 38hp $14
Not sure how would this work