The Gutter

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

J-bros

The Gutter

Post by J-bros »

Hi Forum goers,

I'd appreciate feedback on this first campaign of mine, The Gutter. I'm particularly interested in balancing issues, whether the backstory is engaging (the campaign as it stands is only 1 medium-length scenario so the trajectory of the story isn't clear yet), and of course, any bugs you encounter when playing. I'm going to leave for a couple days but when I get back I'll publish the following 2 scenarios that I've almost finished coding. This is my first campaign, so the coding may not be stellar though I've played the scenario many times and am pretty sure that it runs as it's meant to.

Story:
In an underground city ravaged by poverty, corruption and neighborhood unrest, a politician's son becomes infamous for his controversial methods of crime fighting. As punishment, he is assigned to an extended penal colony blocked off from the rest of the city, as an overseer of waste management. Eager to regain his reputation and win back his father's esteem, he realizes that he may have to think bigger than ousting a few cartels.

The images I have for the units right now are temporary; if the campaign picks up steam I'd love to get in touch with an artist to make sprites and portraits if possible for police officer, politician, and hoodlum-type characters.

A street fighting campaign! Woohoo! :twisted:
Enjoy!
Korben

Re: The Gutter

Post by Korben »

Interesting idea.. just played it, found it a bit too hard on normal, but that´s propably just me. Is the typo of the „hardest setting“ intentional? Oh, and you can control Calvin.. isn´t he threatening the Doc?

I would suggest to cut the intro and have an prologue scenario instead. As for the general setting, why not set it in the Time „After the Fall“? A Post-Apocalyptic Scenery seems to fit into your camapign and it sounds reasonable that humans and other races are organized in gangs and other paramilitary groups. Just an idea, would save you to add custom sprizes and stuff.

regards, Korben
J-bros

Post by J-bros »

Hi Korben,

Thanks for the feedback!

To compensate for the first scenario being difficult in general, I'll bump up the police's armor a bit for the next release.

A prologue scenario is a good idea; I agree that the intro is a bit long and I don't think most people read the whole thing.

Calvin is the doctor's bodyguard. I can see how that could be confusing. I have someone named "Ed" in a shrouded area of the map threatening the Doc so I'm thinking you mistook Ed for Calvin; I'll clear more of the shroud and I'll tweak the dialogue a bit to make Calvin's character more obvious.

As for your instinct about the general setting, you're right on the money. :D Don't want to give anything away though.
Korben

Post by Korben »

Why not show Ed and give Calvin a line like „Run while i hold them back“ or something.
A prologue scenario can illustrate things better, too. There´s a big difference between just writing „There are gangs that are very brutal“ (just an example) and actual see some gang members stealing lollipops from babys and stuff ;) (and it better clears things up: Who are you, who are your enemies)
when you actually place it in the world of wesnoth, then you could replace police with, let´s say the remains of a city guard that desperately trying to keep up some order (but could be seen just as a well organized gang ). But I let those things up to you.I´m lookin forward to further releases :)
Shakeshake

Post by Shakeshake »

I enjoyed this very much! I hope you continue to work on it!
I played on hard and it was indeed challenging-the infinite thug army was difficult to hold off, but after starting over and adjusting strategy, I managed to succeed!

One note--the "harrier" upgrade for dogs was unfinished-- they were unable to move and were hit automatically.

Can't wait to play more!
J-bros

Post by J-bros »

Working on the campaign again. Sorry about the delay :roll: