Guide to UMC campaigns / eras

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

taptap

Guide to UMC campaigns / eras

Post by taptap »

I believe it would be a very useful resource to have a wiki page on all current UMC campaigns, which includes the campaign blurb but more importantly tells about its completion status (unfinished, playable, balanced) and the kind of gameplay (dungeon crawl, skirmish, large battle, RPG, simulation etc.) and the difficulty to be expected. It's purpose would be to inform players about the campaigns (not for authors to get feedback). It also might increase exposure for some campaigns with odd names or short descriptions. Anyone?

See: http://wiki.wesnoth.org/Guide_to_UMC_Content

EDIT 2015: moved 1.10 content to a subpage, page needs some attention to bring 1.12 content up to date
Last edited by taptap on April 24th, 2015, 5:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
SkyOne

Re: Guide to UMC campaigns

Post by SkyOne »

You mean like this, right? http://wiki.wesnoth.org/List_of_campaigns
Once, I thought about updating the list, then PMed Turuk who created the list. But it is tough to keep updating because it seems the descriptions are from each of the main files, instead of the pbl files. So the maintainer has to download all SP campaigns regularly. If I finish almost everything I plan to do on own, I can step up. But I don’t think it happens in the near future...

You have been playing many of current SP campaigns, so I (guessing many, too) will appreciate if you try to do, by the way.
I will be supportive in the case.
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

SkyOne wrote:You have been playing many of current SP campaigns, so I (guessing many, too) will appreciate if you try to do, by the way.
I will be supportive in the case.
I too...
Friendly,
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

SkyOne wrote:You mean like this, right? http://wiki.wesnoth.org/List_of_campaigns
Once, I thought about updating the list, then PMed Turuk who created the list. But it is tough to keep updating because it seems the descriptions are from each of the main files, instead of the pbl files. So the maintainer has to download all SP campaigns regularly. If I finish almost everything I plan to do on own, I can step up. But I don’t think it happens in the near future...
It seems to me that it would be better to write a script which does all the work automatically... ;)
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Kanzil

Post by Kanzil »

I may consider undertaking this task...
High over valleys in the red levelling rays -
In din of crowded streets, going among the years, the faces,
May I still meet my memory in so lonely a place
Between the streams and the red clouds, hearing the curlews, Hearing the horizons endure.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

A good wave is coming.:)
First thing we should make a decision is how we are going to change the list. The list is actually very old now, but I don’t want to waste Turuk’s task in the past (he was the Forum Emperor with the orange name). So IMO, we should start with SP campaigns for 1.8 with leaving Turuk’s parts. I guess we need some comments in between 1.7 campaigns because only one 1.7 campaign is listed on it. Campaigns for 1.8 are not flexible anymore, so we just need to spend time. I mean that we can even do it after finish listing 1.9/1.10 campaigns, I think.

Or is it better ignoring all 1.8 campaigns now? It is also understandable for me as long as we put some comments why there are no 1.8 campaigns on the list.

Another idea is to create a completely new list by following Turuk’s format. I am not sure how to add a new page on wiki in this case, though.

How would you think?
Well, these are just my opinions...
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Xudo

Post by Xudo »

SkyOne wrote:I am not sure how to add a new page on wiki in this case, though.
http://wiki.wesnoth.org/Replace_This_Te ... e_You_Want
edit URL, open it in browser and click "create". You need to be logged in.
taptap

Post by taptap »

I always wonder about some very non-informative and outdated descriptions on the add-on server when there is a longer introduction shown in the campaign list...

Anyway, I made a (very basic) start to give an idea at http://wiki.wesnoth.org/Guide_to_UMC_Campaigns - I know it is probably a no-brainer to extract header-data from all the UMC-campaigns, but what I (and people who make threads searching for UMC campaigns) want is mainly information for players. Please add and change this page freely (campaign authors should of course be mentioned etc.)

I wouldn't mention old campaigns on the page, because they are simply not available for the average person who doesn't have five instances of Wesnoth running on his system. But I added a reference to the unported umc thread.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Oh, you have already started it in your style. Thank you.
letting the authors write the informations is a nice idea.

Maybe, better to add those links on the list later:
http://www.wesnoth.org/addons/1.9/
http://www.wesnoth.org/addons/1.11/

And 1.10 and 1.11 campaigns should be separated in the future, I guess, because of the different servers. (authors sometimes change the difficulties, the units, etc...)

I appreciate your work.:)
xudojnik wrote:
SkyOne wrote:I am not sure how to add a new page on wiki in this case, though.
http://wiki.wesnoth.org/Replace_This_Te ... e_You_Want
edit URL, open it in browser and click "create". You need to be logged in.
Thank you.:)

EDIT: Okay, I think changing the format will be necessary.
Otherwise we are going to have 137 (or more) contents on the top... (just found it out by installing first three campaigns on the list.) Maybe, divided by the alphabets of the first letters or the styles?
But it is up to you. If you would like to keep this format, I can keep listing like that as long as I have time.

Another EDIT: this is the SP campaign title-list on the 1.10 server (alphabetical order). Hopefully, I don’t miss any. At the bottom, there is:

Code: Select all

Length:

Description:

Difficulty:

Style:

Faction/Era:
addonlist.txt
(2.83 KiB) Downloaded 677 times
Best Regards
taptap

Post by taptap »

It might be useful for someone to grep over all the campaign headers to get: Author, Description, Version and Requirements (which Wesnoth version), while the other information can be added by hand. Is it enough to have an information about requirements or do we need to maintain two lists one for stable and another for development? I guess we need two lists (but maybe on the same page), even if it is awkward.

Being very much a player only, I don't really understand the add-on server structure as exposed by the website. The add-ons for 1.10 stable are on the 1.9 add-on server (http://www.wesnoth.org/addons/1.9/) and the add-ons for 1.11 are on http://www.wesnoth.org/addons/1.11/ ?
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

taptap wrote:It might be useful for someone to grep over all the campaign headers to get: Author, Description, Version and Requirements (which Wesnoth version), while the other information can be added by hand.
It is always better to get more informations for players, I think, and it seems you have already started editing, but the most important thing is that the maintainer of the list can work comfortably on it in order to keep it up, especially a project like this. So it is really up to you IMO.:)

I actually deleted the version numbers and author’s names from the list that I attached before the post, because I did not want to push you. This is the revived one.
addonlist-2.txt
(11.81 KiB) Downloaded 408 times
taptap wrote:do we need to maintain two lists one for stable and another for development? I guess we need two lists (but maybe on the same page), even if it is awkward.
Yes, I agree with it. Or just stable versions only a while.
taptap wrote:Being very much a player only, I don't really understand the add-on server structure as exposed by the website. The add-ons for 1.10 stable are on the 1.9 add-on server (http://www.wesnoth.org/addons/1.9/) and the add-ons for 1.11 are on http://www.wesnoth.org/addons/1.11/ ?
Yeah, it is a bit messy currently.
I think 1.9 and 1.10 are different servers, but have been listed on the same page since 1.10. Not sure why, though...
Maybe, it is going to happen on 1.12 also.

Thank you, anyway.:)
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

All 1.9.x and 1.10.x versions share the same add-ons server instance. During previous development cycles, a separate instance was started for the new stable around beta 1, hence 1.7.x and 1.8.x (for example) used different add-ons server instances.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

Hi !
Well, this looks promising !
I think closed lists should be defined to fill the 'status' and 'Style' entries. For instance status=draft/in progress/complete/finished. This to allow fast searches and comparing. Just my two cents.
BTW, I can't see what 'Review' entry should contain.
Friendly,
taptap

Post by taptap »

pyrophorus wrote:Hi !
Well, this looks promising !
I think closed lists should be defined to fill the 'status' and 'Style' entries. For instance status=draft/in progress/complete/finished. This to allow fast searches and comparing. Just my two cents.
BTW, I can't see what 'Review' entry should contain.
Friendly,
I agree with the closed lists for some entries (well, if something really new shows up it can always be changed). Made some proposals for style already, in case anyone wonders puzzle is probably what I would classify many boss levels in IftU et al., simulation for Cities of the Frontier, dungeon for large parts of IftU, large battle say for Northern Rebirth (there aren't so many in UMC with such), skirmish for ordinary Wesnoth gameplay, survival for sth. which resembles MP survivals in SP (as the final scenario in the Ooze MC), RPG (+ skirmish) for Grnk the Mighty, but it won't be an exact science. I would like to include balance information too, but I wonder whether this should go to status or difficulty. Reviews are probably unnecessary when we can just as well provide a link to the feedback thread as in the old list (guess we should do this), but I wonder whether it would be useful to provide an outlet for more subjective evaluation (of course it shouldn't be a like / not like contest or an invitation for rants).

Best, Taptap.
Xudo

Post by Xudo »

Add-on authors can create their own "visiting card" for their add-on.
Then anyone can create "Table of contents" where he just include "visiting cards" of all add-ons as templates.

Each add-on will get its own page where author can do whatever he wants.