The Settlers of Light (1.9.12+)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Astoria
Inactive Developer

Re: The Settlers of Light (1.9.12+)

Post by Astoria »

Kindof. I may be continuing, but only after I have finished my other projects.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
GangrN

Post by GangrN »

I think I found the major issue anyone is talking about in scenario 6_1 (for Wesnoth 1.10).

I don't know WML, but it seems that your array "recall_list" is not properly done. Maybe it is no array at all! you should check this (I read somewhere that the command "unstore_unit" cannot apply on an array so you have to invoke it repeatedly with "while" or the FOREACH macro).

so when you try to unstore into recall list the units you stored under the variable "recall_list", the code does not understand and only unstores the first unit named "recall_list". If Crissy (the witch or whatever her name) is not the first stored unit, the scenario goes awkward and you cannot win or understand scenario 6-2. Plus, every unit stored at the end of "Defence scenario" is lost.

The workaround as a player is to open the scenario 6-1: "return to elensefar.gz" with your text editor and manually change every "recall-list" and "/recall_list" variable into "unit" and "/unit" (and maybe restore the poor "messenger" who seems to be definitely lost since the first scenario). Then you save it and reload the .gz file in wesnoth. (It works well under Linux, I don't know if it works under Windows but I suspect nothing prevents it to work)

Another point is your filter for recalling loyal units at the beginning of each scenario. i suspect that you should use the "filter" variable. For now, units are recalled randomly, wether they are "loyal" or not, so you lose much money and can do nothing to prevent that. Anyway, not a problem since you can use the debug mode...

I hope this will help for future updates, I hope there will be. Anyway, great UMC so far (too few campaigns with aragwaithi in my opinion)
Regards,

GangrN
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

GangrN wrote:I think I found the major issue anyone is talking about in scenario 6_1 (for Wesnoth 1.10).

I don't know WML, but it seems that your array "recall_list" is not properly done. Maybe it is no array at all! you should check this (I read somewhere that the command "unstore_unit" cannot apply on an array so you have to invoke it repeatedly with "while" or the FOREACH macro).

so when you try to unstore into recall list the units you stored under the variable "recall_list", the code does not understand and only unstores the first unit named "recall_list". If Crissy (the witch or whatever her name) is not the first stored unit, the scenario goes awkward and you cannot win or understand scenario 6-2. Plus, every unit stored at the end of "Defence scenario" is lost.

The workaround as a player is to open the scenario 6-1: "return to elensefar.gz" with your text editor and manually change every "recall-list" and "/recall_list" variable into "unit" and "/unit" (and maybe restore the poor "messenger" who seems to be definitely lost since the first scenario). Then you save it and reload the .gz file in wesnoth. (It works well under Linux, I don't know if it works under Windows but I suspect nothing prevents it to work)

Another point is your filter for recalling loyal units at the beginning of each scenario. i suspect that you should use the "filter" variable. For now, units are recalled randomly, wether they are "loyal" or not, so you lose much money and can do nothing to prevent that. Anyway, not a problem since you can use the debug mode...

I hope this will help for future updates, I hope there will be. Anyway, great UMC so far (too few campaigns with aragwaithi in my opinion)
I quit maintaining it until I feel like it again.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
GangrN

Post by GangrN »

[Edit]: double post
Last edited by GangrN on August 19th, 2012, 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
GangrN

Post by GangrN »

As you please! hopefully my notes will be of use for a future maintainer.

I feel there is much potential in this story, though some could be reworked.

As for now, the problem with modified recall lists is the way the command "unstore_unit" applies on arrays (in fact, it does not apply). It seems it is not a good idea to store whole bunches of units in arrays. Plus, I doubt it's useful in game terms.

In fact, I think we should avoid the "can recall / cannot recall" thing, either for maintenance purpose or for story consistency: it makes no sense that we can recruit newbees but not recall veterans... when you are lost in the mountain or in the caverns, where could you recruit 10 aragwaithi warriors? they obviously folloed you. So why not take veterans along?
Except for some units like Cryssa (we understand she stayed home), it makes no sense in this story. It would be far mode consistent that you could recall any veteran anywhere but could recruit no aragwaithi outside of new-Elensefar, no sand elves outside of the desert and so on. And it's far more simple to do.
If we want few recruits, it is possible to make the fortress disappear after turn 2 for example. Or to have time limits to prevent from having too much money. Or to save no money from one scenario to another. They are plenty of simple ways.

Here is a list of things that does not work for further maintenance:
- limited access to recall list is bugged and makes no sense. Better limit recruit list (story consistency, code maintenance)
- the time limit and money management should be reworked (tactical balance)
- the desert trainee is bugged: could not upgrade to level three. Otherwise it works well. (code maintenance)
- have to clear obsolete variables at the end of each scenario. For example, what is the point of the "bravemen" variable? (code cleaning)
- final scenario ("Naught"): Cryssa dies before we can reach her on "hard" mode. Maybe player should control Cryssa. Maybe Cryssa should be side 1 so she could escape next to Anthemyr. Maybe Cryssa could be the recruiter for the team in this scenario. Maybe aragwaithi could recruit dwarves since they are allies. Why the death of "any hero" should be a lose condition (the desert trainee, Ricardo, Augatsol...)? chaos army does not confront with desert elves, I did not understand why since they should be mortal enemies (story consistency and tactical balance)
- the dwarvish scenario ("Exit") is obviously unfinished. An event fails to fire (only one shaxtal appears and no other after that). one cannot end the scenario (have to end it manually with debug). The shaxtals should pose a fiercer threat if we want the player to understand they are not a side effect. The drakes are no match either, maybe their breath should be enhanced by explosive powder? in fact, they are very weak since they are underground (terrain, loyal). (code maintenance, tactical balance, story consistency)
- the desert scenario ("Burning suns"): there is no reason why the player cannot recruit or recall. Allow to recruit desert elves too. Spawn additional desert beasts (game interest, tactical balance)
- the oasis scenario ("Forest Raiders"): unbalanced. You have to run to kill some orcs even in difficult mode, otherwise they are killed by forest elves. The fact that the troops you recruit appear in the midst of the sands is a good idea per se. Though, I suggest to recall automatically a bunch of them amidst the sands, and to allow Anthemyr to recruit forest elves for this scenario only (since the story obvioulsy relies on a presentation af each faction). And disallow access to recall list. (tactical balance, game interest)
- the "stronghold" scenario: when the wave is foretold, there should be a turn limit. Why all the "bravemen" should sacrifice? there is nothing they could do to prevent a wave, why don't they run for their lives and become available for recall? I suppose it would not be a balance issue if we had 5 or 6 novice bandits in recall list (story consistency)
- the "tunnel vision" final objective is awkward: just moving Marco in the tunnel gives a win condition
Regards,

GangrN
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

After a long time of not maintaining this campaign, I have decided to permanently quit this campaign and everything related to it. Please do not PM me anymore with any bugs. Do feel free to PM me if you still want to take over. With this I also lock the feedback thread, because it has no use anymore.
simira

Post by simira »

Yay... and this I found now, after playing my way through the campaign and being stuck. How about marking the campaign as "unfinished" on downloading it...?
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

After a long time of not maintaining this campaign, I have decided to permanently quit this campaign and everything related to it. Please do not PM me anymore with any bugs. Do feel free to PM me if you still want to take over. With this I also lock the feedback thread, because it has no use anymore.
Perhaps I should suggest this campaign in that Abandoned Campaigns thread....There are many UMC creators out there who might have the urge to maintain and complete it...
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
dacurrlywon

Post by dacurrlywon »

Hi you still looking for a maintainer?
I would not mind giving it a go.... done a little programing in the past so just need to know in c etc not in wml though
Thanks DCW
Ok I've installed it on wesnoth very 1.11.0 and obviously there are a few bugs what I need to know is what version was it working best so I know what it should look like or should I reinstall 1.10.x and just take it from there
I'm a noob ... though played a long time on and off since version 1.2 .. keep up the good work!
dacurrlywon

Post by dacurrlywon »

Hi sorry for all the noob ques...
  • I have downloaded the files and noticed that it has a copy of the desert elves inside is there a way to use the ones which are already in mainline as part of UtBS?
  • Would it be best to move the desert elves so they are not in part of UtBS? and into core? :hmm:
  • The same goes for some other units (some human eg...)
  • There is also a few normal wood Elves included ... does this mean I can't use the core images and everything has to be included in the addon - seems a bit of waste of data - especially when we ideally want to keep pressure down to a min on the addon server
  • Err I can't open the some of the map files in the editor as some tiles are not recognized is there a quick way to update from 1.9.5 to 1.10.5 or do I have to do this this old fashioned way by hand? :hmm: I know there is a way when it was 1.8x .... should I try that first?
It is possible that it was done this way to aid in production...
Any advise would be nice.
DCW
I'm a noob ... though played a long time on and off since version 1.2 .. keep up the good work!
AfterDawn

Post by AfterDawn »

With the affirmation of bumbadadabum, I've decided to continue developing this campaign.
I have already gone through all the available scenarios and added the neccesary bits to make every level fully playable. Sometime either this or next week I plan to officially post that version (1.9.13).
My schedule currently allows me to work three days a week, Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday. Most likely I'll only be able to respond to any posts on those days.

With regards to further changes, I'm planning to fully develop the story line which will propably include adding and subtracting scenarios. Also I still haven't fixed any recall list errors which means at some point you're going to loose most if not all of your non hero units ^_^ (have fun).
Thanks in advance to all and any feedback.
AfterDawn

Post by AfterDawn »

Okay In a matter of another half an hour I'm going to upload my slightly edited version of SoL (all levels are now playable/complete-able).
With that said I've also made a story development thread in the writers forum. I'm sure it will be rife with spoilers but anyone so inclined as to help me write this thing please go here -----> Story Development
Thanks!
nickanc

Post by nickanc »

It's good that someone mantains this campaign. The plot seems interesting. :) However, the game has some problems, showing up particularly at Tunnel Vision scenario.
*Firstly, I dont know how, but Cryssa seems required in Tunnel Vision (as of both defeat conditions and dialogues), while in my game she is just missing. I attach my Tunnel Vision.gz and the replay of the last game i played with Cryssa in it. What happened? How to fix it?
*There is also at the beginning of Tunnel Vision an error, though the game continues to be playable: <WML> Error: empty side= is deprecated, use side=1
*I dont understand why I cant recall units. Is it intended to be so?
Attachments
TSoL-Defence_replay.gz
Replay of Defence scenario.
(17.02 KiB) Downloaded 312 times
TSoL-Tunnel_Vision.gz
Replay of Tunnel Vision scenario.
(14.21 KiB) Downloaded 331 times
AfterDawn

Post by AfterDawn »

props for assassinating the enemy general so quickly.
Firstly, I dont know how, but Cryssa seems required in Tunnel Vision (as of both defeat conditions and dialogues), while in my game she is just missing
I solved this error in my edited version. However since I'm a noob at all this I don't know how exactly to upload it onto the add-on server (has to do with a .pbl file.. :doh: ). Anyway in my version cryssa should show up again once you enter the caves (actually even before then, during the preceding dialogue scenario). However Cryssa is actually NOT necessary to complete the mission (even in the old version). The real error has to do with an event that you have to trigger (after crossing the bridge) in an upper left chamber. However the x,y coordinate zone for the trigger is a little messed up so its kind of hard to get but not impossible. If you (know how to) look at the scenario file in the add on folder you should be able to find and or change the x,y coordinates yourself.
There is also at the beginning of Tunnel Vision an error, though the game continues to be playable: <WML> Error: empty side= is deprecated, use side=1
Yeah I have no idea what that's about. I'll play around a bit and try to find the source of it but anyone who knows how to fix this I would love to know as well.
I dont understand why I cant recall units. Is it intended to be so?
It should happen twice in the campaign. The first time occurs in mission 3, the logic being that Anthemyr is leaving Cryssa and most of his comrades behind in search of better water sources. As far as I can tell the Re-call list is stored in a scalar variable and is supposed to be un-stored by the time you get to the caves. I think I fixed the first time this happens however your version doesn't un-store the scalar properly so... oh well.
AfterDawn

Post by AfterDawn »

Okay! thanks to bumbadadabum I have now successfully updated Settlers of Light. I'm also going to take his advice and overhaul the story so that means I'm probably going to change just about every scenario (also means I've now set it to version 0.9.0) :mrgreen: . Anyway, go on over to the story thread if you have any opinions on how I should go on about doing that. Thanks!
Story thread here!