Open Source Console

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

aaronfeld

Open Source Console

Post by aaronfeld »

Anyone else see this?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouy ... e?ref=live

Its gonna be an open source console. I think this has a pretty big potential. What do you guys think?
johndh

Re: Open Source Console

Post by johndh »

I can see signs of console gaming being on its way out, and I almost want to say good riddance, but this could be interesting. Making the games free to try should hopefully reduce piracy while boosting sales (people will be more confident in buying a game if they get to try it out first), and making the console cheaper makes it so there is actually an incentive to buying one instead of just upgrading your computer. Basically, it's like taking everything that's awful about console gaming right now, and turning it on its head, which should be fun.
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.
JAP
Art Contributor

Post by JAP »

I would love to see Wesnoth on the OUYA, since it was inspired by the game "Master of mosters" on the Sega Mega Drive (or Genesis for the yanks).
It would have gone full circle.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Just three days left now.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

I’m quite suspicious and believe it doesn’t stand a chance.

Technology doesn’t sell consoles; content does. The only way it stands success is if there’s really decent content on it. Will there be? Not without hundreds of thousands of units. Why bother spending time to port content over unless you’re going to get paid?

It’s going to be a massive cat-and-mouse game to see if it’s profitable. Developers won’t design for it unless there are users, and people won’t buy it without content. PCs with Steam, iOS, and the big three console makers are still the best platforms to design commercial games for.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
aaronfeld

Post by aaronfeld »

OnLive is on board. There is going to be a lot of games on release date.
Giraffemonster

Post by Giraffemonster »

aaronfeld wrote:OnLive is on board. There is going to be a lot of games on release date.
Well then, hopefully that at least partially solves the issue ancestral pointed out. It seems pretty interesting too, with more and more things becoming open source. I'd least expect an open source console, however. Hopefully, it does work out, to show that not everything good has to be proprietary.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

The idealistic part of me loves the concept. I would love to see this succeed. However, realistically, I don't know if it has much of a chance. :hmm:
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

And here we go, $8,596,475 collected with 63,416 backers. One things for sure-the console gaming industry will have to do some thinking. To be frank, I keep my fingers crossed for ouya :whistle:
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
Shinobody

Post by Shinobody »

I wonder - what are chances of getting Wesnoth on it? Since it's based on Android if I remember right, and Wesnoth already has an Android port (and controller is apparently going to have touchpad, which solves controls problem).
Artist, writer, game designer for hire.
Art portfolio: https://shino1.artstation.com
Writing dump: https://shino1portfolio.wordpress.com/
My itchio for video games and TTRPG stuff: https://shino1.itch.io/
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

We already have some form joystick/gamepad support in the regular version, so that shouldn't be a problem.
aaronfeld

Post by aaronfeld »

I think it would be really cool to have Wesnoth on a console even though it doesn't strike me as a game like that.
lipk

Post by lipk »

aaronfeld

Post by aaronfeld »

I just heard that... A new company is taking over though.