Counter-attack tactic: Do you have one?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Knitsch

Counter-attack tactic: Do you have one?

Post by Knitsch »

Hey, what's up. Hmm... first of all, i don't know much English, so... sorry if i wrote something bad. Okay, let's start:

My problem is, that i have a friend, he is very good playing Wesnoth, he's very agressive, and i'm asking some tactics, some defense tactics. How i can do a powerfull counter-attack?.

I use Orcs.

Summary:

I'm asking some powerfull counter-attack tactic.

See ya.
TheScribe

Re: Counter-attack tactic: Do you have one?

Post by TheScribe »

This might help.
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Knitsch

Post by Knitsch »

Yeah, i did that. But.. it doesn't work xD. However, not in all the maps that strategy works, so...

He uses Loyalists, humans, whatever xD.

But, thank you.
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

If you want better advice, post a replay of a game between the two of you.
Jazzo

Post by Jazzo »

I think that the best is to attack with faster units. You were saying about counter-attack what means that enemy is retreating, so you need faster units to reach enemies units and hold them until your main forces arrive. Then, if your fast units are on one side, closing passage for enemy, and your other forces are coming from other side, then you have them in "sandwich" and that is victory for you.
Jazzo

Post by Jazzo »

I think that the best is to attack with faster units. You were saying about counter-attack what means that enemy is retreating, so you need faster units to reach enemies units and hold them until your main forces arrive. Then, if your fast units are on one side, closing passage for enemy, and your other forces are coming from other side, then you have them in "sandwich" and that is victory for you.
taptap

Post by taptap »

It is impossible to give useful advice to such a generic question. A replay would result in much better advice. What generally helps is: patience, time of day, poison - and having the cheap = many northerner units. You have a numerical advantage and should use it.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Aelaris

Post by Aelaris »

This question being very generic, Jazzo has the right of it.

Morning or Afternoon is when you want to decide whether you are going to counterattack. If you're going to counter attack, you don't need to run away quite so much during the day. Stay on defense terrain, though. Position a fast unit (Wolf rider) or two so that it can reach around where they will be when they attack the position you chose. (Other factions have skirmishers, which do this very well.)

They attack, take the bait. Getting hit during the twilight isn't so bad, afternoon can be painful. Move your fast unit around to the other side of their attackers. Ideally, you can pin one or more units, but that's not always possible. Be aware of a "soft pin" - when you aren't entirely blocking all movement options via ZoC, but the options remaining make them slower, like having to wade through water, cross a mountain, take a circuitus route, etc. Basically, you want it such that the furthest they can get is within range of a substantial number of your guys, and not on good terrain.

Be aware that they may simply attack your fast unit. It will likely die if that happens. If you think that is going to happen, only send it out when them stopping to kill it would result in two or more deaths on their end.

And then attack them as they retreat, since they are delayed by your fast unit.

Other than that, a softer counter attack is what you should probably always do - let them attack you during twilight, so (unless they are faster) you can attack them during first watch. Generally good players will not take the bait.

But otherwise, your question is very generic. If you gave use a screenshot or a replay, we probably could give better advice.
"Let's all agree that Konrad simply represents 'Konrad and his female ninja bodyguards'." - Gambit, explaining how a character could also be a battalion.
alexanderthegre

Post by alexanderthegre »

When I play as orcs, I generally don't counter-attack; during the day I retreat and at night I attack. Don't undervalue ToD.
On a counter-attack, use assassins. Lots of assassins. :twisted:
They're fast, and can deal very good damage to retreating enemies.
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

alexanderthegre wrote:They're fast, and can deal very good damage to retreating enemies.
And make units retreat... :whistle:
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Creativity

Post by Creativity »

TheScribe wrote:
alexanderthegre wrote:They're fast, and can deal very good damage to retreating enemies.
And make units retreat... :whistle:
When you make units retreat in favorable ToD for them, you've gained a good advantage.
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

Creativity wrote:When you make units retreat in favorable ToD for them, you've gained a good advantage.
Correction, you've virtually won the game. Such an advantage, unless completely squandered, shows you already have incredible initiative compared to your opponent. However, these are all generic and obvious comments to an over generalised problem. Until we have more specifics, further advice is just so much hot air. Or letters. Or arbitrary bits. You get the point.