Is a red mage worth it early in HttT?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kaiserdrache

Re: Is a red mage worth it early in HttT?

Post by Kaiserdrache »

Nope, he simply made a mistake ;)
revolting_peasant

Post by revolting_peasant »

Well, I restarted the campaign trying to play a little better, and got Elrian levelled to a red mage. He's now an Arch-Mage and doing fine in Princess' Revenge. I got Moremirmu and another white mage to not feel too naked.
anonamouse

Post by anonamouse »

I don't really know but I felt I should say this.
The enemy AI doesn't take into account the silver mages teleportation abilities when deciding where to move it units,
so it is a good thing to get silver mages.
Lord_Napis

Post by Lord_Napis »

The red mage is probably the most versatatle mage in the whole game. He is equally effective against undead as he is against humans. Considering that during most of the campaign, you fight humans rather than undead, the redmage is the better choice. As for the arch/silver mage choice, i would think it best if you chose arch. Silver is good because he can teleport to any owned vilage, making him good backup on the front line. However, because villages that are farthest out are more likely to be captured by the enemy, the silver mage is just a red mage with the power to village hop. Therefore, the arch mage with higher health and firepower is the better choice. Chocobones recieve at least 20 damage in the daytime from their staffs, and the fireball often clears away mele units very effictively. Considering that his advancement makes him even more powerful, the red/arch mage path is the best choice.
Permission to Annilate all enemy units, Sir.
Granted, Lord Napis.
jazzykat

Post by jazzykat »

I am half way through HttT:The Siege of Elensefar, with 2 red mages (1 is the loyal guy) and 2 regular mages. I halve 1 Elvish L2 healer and 2 L1 Shamans. This is as far as I have gotten but this is the early game right? Red mages rock. They kill (or nearly kill) most L1 things whether it is day or night.

I am still developing my strategy for HttT but it is starting to be: Be prudently aggressive (effective use of ZoC, and terrain, minimal sure death scenarios and pulling badly injured off the line when I can), and spam out L1s to finish the battle ASAP to take the early finish bonus. The fire power of the Red Mage fits in with my style.
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

jazzykat wrote:I spam out L1s
There's a popular advice not to over-recruit. Recruiting and upkeep also cost gold, so make sure additional recruits pay off. And consider who you want to feed xp; if you have some units about to level in stock to recall, you can use them cost efficient in an upcoming scenario and level according to tactical needs.
I have a cunning plan.
Nicknick

Post by Nicknick »

uhh, why would you want mages in HttT. Leveled elven shamans get the ability to fly at lvl3 for the healer and lvl4 for the damager.
Lord_Napis

Post by Lord_Napis »

The reason that we would want mages instead of shamans is for their health and early magical attacks. Shamans have lower health than mages, and no magical attacks. Mages have magical attacks, giving them a bonus for ranged attacks. Since in the short term of a battle, for mor damage output means more gold input, mages are the better choice
Granted, Lord Napis.
MRDNRA

Post by MRDNRA »

Lord_Napis wrote:The red mage is probably the most versatatle mage in the whole game. He is equally effective against undead as he is against humans. Considering that during most of the campaign, you fight humans rather than undead, the redmage is the better choice. As for the arch/silver mage choice, i would think it best if you chose arch. Silver is good because he can teleport to any owned vilage, making him good backup on the front line. However, because villages that are farthest out are more likely to be captured by the enemy, the silver mage is just a red mage with the power to village hop. Therefore, the arch mage with higher health and firepower is the better choice. Chocobones recieve at least 20 damage in the daytime from their staffs, and the fireball often clears away mele units very effictively. Considering that his advancement makes him even more powerful, the red/arch mage path is the best choice.
Silver mages could probably come in useful in Test of the Clans level if you want to take out all the leaders.
Nicknick

Post by Nicknick »

Lord_Napis wrote:The reason that we would want mages instead of shamans is for their health and early magical attacks. Shamans have lower health than mages, and no magical attacks. Mages have magical attacks, giving them a bonus for ranged attacks. Since in the short term of a battle, for mor damage output means more gold input, mages are the better choice
I have no idea WTF are you talking about, could you be more specific? Both sylphs and shades have magical attacks and magical disablers. Mages, Red Mages etc attacks are not magical.
MRDNRA

Post by MRDNRA »

Nicknick wrote:
Lord_Napis wrote:The reason that we would want mages instead of shamans is for their health and early magical attacks. Shamans have lower health than mages, and no magical attacks. Mages have magical attacks, giving them a bonus for ranged attacks. Since in the short term of a battle, for mor damage output means more gold input, mages are the better choice
I have no idea WTF are you talking about, could you be more specific? Both sylphs and shades have magical attacks and magical disablers. Mages, Red Mages etc attacks are not magical.
Mages ranged attacks are magical at every level. Shamans ranged attacks are only magical from level 2.
Nicknick

Post by Nicknick »

Ah, i see, he meant the property and not damage type. Well red mage is a level 2 unit. So its only about lvl1 hit, or shamans lvl1 slow. I prefer the slow tbh, and flight later.
MRDNRA

Post by MRDNRA »

Shamans aren't so hard to level up as it first appears at times. They seem to often make tempting targets for enemy AI even when in forest where their high defense means they can survive fairly easily. I quite like using slow as well especially against strong enemies (lvl 2 and above!) and the flight comes in VERY useful in caves.
tuggyne

Post by tuggyne »

Nicknick wrote:Ah, i see, he meant the property and not damage type.
Presumably because there is no "magical" damage type: there's arcane, cold, and fire, and all are usually magical in origin.

Also, the Shyde line does not get arcane damage, nor develop resistance to it.
Lord_Napis

Post by Lord_Napis »

Magical means that units with this trait will ALWAYS have a 70% chance to hit a unit.
This extra hit chance means the Level one clases of mages is better than the level one for shamans. Mages have a better survival chance than shamans, and a better chance to level up. :eng:
Granted, Lord Napis.