What do you do in the real world?

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Hulavuta

Re: What do you do in the real world?

Post by Hulavuta »

Currently IRL I am a Home-High School student (on Virtual School) and that's about the extent of my life T_T

Like some of the others in this thread I am a Christian, but I also try to be tolerant and respectful of others that don't share the same beliefs.

As for careers, I haven't really hit that crossroads yet. I might want to be a writer (although that's going to be preeetty hard), maybe a programmer (if I ever manage to learn anything) or maybe I'll just be a Police Officer, or a teacher (although the pay and the students who don't want to learn is really unappealing).

I wanted to be a chef, but last year I took a cooking course that was really awful (the teacher, the students, pretty much everything)...and so becoming a cook is looking less and less nice every day.

Overall I mostly want to go into film, writer or director perhaps. Animation would be the best case scenario, although live action isn't too bad. One of the reasons I prefer animation is because it really helps define characters, since it's a bit easier to get away with exaggerations.

I also LOVE JAZZ! Especially Japanese Jazz :D They just have something really especially wild about their music, but I can't exactly put my finger it.

....wow I really like talking about myself.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

PHP programmer. Devout pastafarian. Fan of oxymorons.
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Nothing.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

A student whose IGCSE O levels start in 7 months...
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

I wanted to be a chef, but last year I took a cooking course that was really awful (the teacher, the students, pretty much everything)...and so becoming a cook is looking less and less nice every day.
I love to cook, it's satisfying both creatively and flavorfully, don't quit based on a lousy class- the beauty of it is that you can teach yourself. The Joy of Cooking is an old-school cookbook but is a must have, as is a decent cast iron pan. Actually, good stuff to have: a charcoal grill/smoker, CI frying pan, a big stainless/porcelain coated pot, and a crock pot. Oh, and a good sharp decent-sized knife, a dull crappy knife is more dangerous. Nothing more satisfying that cutting up a slab of chuck roast.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Crow_T wrote:
I love to cook, it's satisfying both creatively and flavorfully, don't quit based on a lousy class- the beauty of it is that you can teach yourself. The Joy of Cooking is an old-school cookbook but is a must have, as is a decent cast iron pan. Actually, good stuff to have: a charcoal grill/smoker, CI frying pan, a big stainless/porcelain coated pot, and a crock pot. Oh, and a good sharp decent-sized knife, a dull crappy knife is more dangerous. Nothing more satisfying that cutting up a slab of chuck roast.
I still love cooking as a hobby, that whole paragraph was all about just being a professional chef.
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

In High School, doing year 10 (in Victoria our last year of school is year 12). Doing mainly drama, art and design stuff. And unfortunately, geography is woefully tedious this year.

I'm a Christian, going to State Youth Games in July, (or June, I forget which.)

Want to become a graphic designer, but my real dream is to become an author of fantasy and sci-fi. I've already got a couple of trilogies planned.

Also considered doing acting, and film composing, but those options are a tad unlikely. (I can think up a tune, but am hopeless at writing it down.)

I enjoy video games, and am totally pumped for Planetside 2. New Conglomerate FTW! :D
Also planning on getting a YouTube channel going, mainly focused on design, but with some Minecraft and other things thrown in.
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

I still love cooking as a hobby, that whole paragraph was all about just being a professional chef.
As a heads up, you don't need to go to college to be a pro chef, restaurant experience will do just as well and is free :) Also, hobby cooking will translate well into said restaurant experience.

Edit: I guess I should add what religion I subscribe to?
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Occupation: College Freshman. Programmer. Sub-par Pixel Artist. Unix guy. Fencing Coach.

Intended vocation: N/A. At this point, that's still up in the air, but leaning towards either engineering or computer science.

Religion: Roman Catholic.

Musical Preferences: Varies greatly. Heck, does music even have genres anymore?
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

artisticdude wrote: does music even have genres anymore?
Yes it does.
~Sierra
Daravel

Post by Daravel »

I want to start fencing again, did it for about 6 months and was really fun and I had the advantage of being a left hander. But the kit is expensive!
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Hulavuta wrote:
artisticdude wrote: does music even have genres anymore?
Yes it does.
Yeah. Categories are not always rigid and some music is rather hard to place, but there are still genres, in that a heavy metal band, a new orleans brass band and Celine Dion all do very different music. Different musical genre might be less heavily connotated than they were, though, and there's clearly a thing for genres fusion nowadays, but that's the internet and post-modernism (or so some say) :)
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Haha, okay. :lol2: There just seems to be so much "genre-bending" and "crossover" music around today that I have a hard time placing that kind of music in individual genres sometimes. But I agree completely; despite the sometimes blurry distinctions, genres between music are very much present. Even I can tell Aerosmith's songs from Louis Armstrong's. :P
Daravel wrote:I want to start fencing again, did it for about 6 months and was really fun and I had the advantage of being a left hander. But the kit is expensive!
I'm jealous. :geek: Stuck being a rightie myself.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Daravel

Post by Daravel »

Just to make everyone jealous. I am free! Just had my last exam so I am officially free from exams and lectures and responsibility (until I have to do my dissertation research, write up my dissertation, go back to work, get a new job and start that job - but for now, I am free!). I am almost a Master of Science (Forensic Psychology). Today is a good day.

The exam was pretty bad though.

Being a leftie was OK, except you had all the crap, unmaintained equipment!
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Bad as in hard, or bad as in poorly written?
~Sierra