LordBob's commissionned work

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
direfish

Re: LordBob's commissionned work

Post by direfish »

At first i wanted to note that the sling looks too neatly crafted for a troll.. But then i realized it's a saddle. Brilliant, Bob! :mrgreen:
francophone

Post by francophone »

I think the weapon of the warrior is too small for a troll.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

@zookeeper: is it such a hidrance that we don't see the warrior's face ? It's not like if trolls had much to express, and being a faceless foe makes him more intimidating to his enemies -more mindless killing machine than actual living being- and allows him to stand out among other trolls. I was thinking of hinting the red dots of his eyes through the slit anyway, but I feel that showing too much of his face might somewhat lessen the impact of the whole portrait. :hmm:

@francophone: the way I understand it, this is more or less the whole point of the warrior. Instead of wielding a huge-and-inadequate weapon such as, say, a treetrunk, he has a proper, kinda-balanced warhammer. Look up historical weapons: leathality in steel and iron isn't a matter of size. Besides, if you account for scale the head of this hammer is already larger than most cannon balls. (And I'm saving the big guns for the hero line anyway)

Updated ogre concept: this one's mostly meant to block skin hues. You'll likely note the tanned complexion: I was under the feeling that ogres were an outdoors people rather than cave-dwellers, and being half-naked all the time probably implies that they benefit of a relatively temperate climate. In the end they won't be your jovial farmer neighbour, but it seems to me that if they can grow so big and regularly bake under the sun, some amount of healthiness is in order ^_^
Now of course, if the lore (or campaign background) implies that wesnothians rather meet them in northern areas and such, I'll drop the tanning lotion altogether.
Attachments
Wesnoth_ogre-study2.jpg
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
francophone

Post by francophone »

I quite agree that the historical weapons are much smaller than what we see in heroic fantasy movies and games. But here it's not a historical soldier but a lvl 3 troll. I imagine handling a tree trunk, yes.
But the portraits are more realistic than the sprites. And the hammer is already larger than what a human could handle in proportion to its size. So, on reflection, the size seems right. Neither too small nor too large.

Ogre: I think even a Nordic ogre should be tanned. Scandinavians are not known to the paleness of their skin. The sun is there, is more horizontal than at the tropics. One can imagine an ogre can withstand the cold without clothes. Anyway, there on the outside and almost naked most of the time. So logically it is tanned. Not too much, since probably more resistant to sunburn too.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Point taken. Tanned it be, then.

Further study for the young ogre. The revised face and finger-in-the-nose attitude hopefully remove any notion of grace. :whistle:
Attachments
Wesnoth_young_ogre-study.jpg
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I almost never use smilies. I save them for special occasions. This is one. :lol2:
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
The_Other

Post by The_Other »

I literally howled with laughter when I saw the young ogre - I've missed a few posts here recently, I clicked on 'last post' expecting to see a troll with a saucepan on his head, and found this instead :lol2:
Please don't change the pose!!!

I pretty much agree with LordBob about the warrior's hidden face - as stated, it sets him apart from other trolls and frankly it just seems cool. I'm still not convinced by the actual style of the helmet, but in my opinion the face should stay covered.
Nothing is true; everything is permissible.
orangebox

Post by orangebox »

zookeeper wrote:As for the warrior, the only thing which still keeps bugging me is that we don't see any of his face. Considering that they must have cut the eye slit in the pot anyway, could it be turned into a bigger face-uncovering hole? A troll could probably have simply torn or punched away one side of the pot, or bent it into shape, or something. Or the eye slit could simply be bigger so that we'd see his eyes and a part of the face.
Well I'd sort of agree with zookeeper with the eyeslit. Rather than small slits, how about actual holes? A slit seems somehow too refined/graceful. I'm imagining if the trolls ever got themselves a pot, they'd punch holes with some sort of sharp object for their eyes to see rather than make a neat and cute little slit :D

For the ogres, I'd preferably stick to the fairness of their skin with decent layers of dirt rather than tan. I'd like to think that their skin resemble more of an elephant's (not the color). Rough, and thick. After all, in my honest opinion, if they were to look slightly tanned (reddish even), they would resemble fat people with a sunburn on the beach. (no offense D;)

Love your work bob. Always enjoyed your portrayals :)
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

orangebox wrote:
zookeeper wrote:As for the warrior, the only thing which still keeps bugging me is that we don't see any of his face. Considering that they must have cut the eye slit in the pot anyway, could it be turned into a bigger face-uncovering hole? A troll could probably have simply torn or punched away one side of the pot, or bent it into shape, or something. Or the eye slit could simply be bigger so that we'd see his eyes and a part of the face.
Well I'd sort of agree with zookeeper with the eyeslit. Rather than small slits, how about actual holes? A slit seems somehow too refined/graceful. I'm imagining if the trolls ever got themselves a pot, they'd punch holes with some sort of sharp object for their eyes to see rather than make a neat and cute little slit :D
Funny; this was bugging me too, and I couldn't put a finger on why. This seems like a good idea.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I am really enjoying this thread. Excellent artwork as usual Lord B.
orangebox wrote:...Rough, and thick. After all, in my honest opinion, if they were to look slightly tanned (reddish even), they would resemble fat people with a sunburn on the beach. (no offense D;)
That could be an interesting experiment-- but I fear a humanoid with elephant skin would probably look undead or extremely old at the least. As far as the skin hue, I guess everyone has an opinion on the best color for a ogre/bikeshed, but that is something that can easily be changed if the need arises.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I don't think there's any problem with ogres having a tan. The hues you're using are pretty moderate after all.
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

Well, I don't know what amount of tan ogres should have as I don't know much about them (they don't appear in campaigns often) and I don't have any artistic knowledge, however, I would agree with orangebox that ogres should have rough and thick skin, because in-game they have same resistances as trolls and trolls have skin made of rock, don't they? That said, ogres look fat, so maybe it's their fat layer that gives them protection rather than skin.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Advanced warrior, complete with round eye slits. He's not final yet, expect him when I get back on tuesday.
Attachments
Wesnoth_troll_warrior-study2.jpg
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

I still can't really place where the sheild is... It sorta seems to be floating in midair now. :hmm:
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Max

Post by Max »

shouldn't we see the lower part of the head somewhere? (assuming the same anatomy as the rocklobber)