Help on Scenario: Valley of the Undead- The Princess' Reveng

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

WesnothNewbie

Help on Scenario: Valley of the Undead- The Princess' Reveng

Post by WesnothNewbie »

Hi, I'm new here, as you can see, and I've signed up for this forum because seem to be stuck on a particular scenario in Wesnoth. I haven't played such a good strategy game in a while, and although I generally consider myself quite good at this type of game, this scenario defeats me. The scenario is Valley of the Undead in Heir to the Throne campaign. I know this has probably gotten asked a lot- but I still need some advice on how to defeat it. I've tried several different methods, and none of them seem to work. I've tried staying put, attacking the East Lich, and attacking the North one, and I can't keep the important characters properly protected. I'm thinking it might be due to a lack of levelled units, many of which got killed in the previous two battles. The only unit I have levelled is a Fugitive, and I have around 450 ish gold. My question is; should I try playing some of the previous battles again and try to get some levelled units? I'll try to put a replay of it, can anyone tell me where to find the gz archives that contain the saves?
Thanks.
In Linux Land, if you listen hard at night, you can hear the whirr of Windows machines rebooting.
HomerJ

Re: Help on Scenario: Valley of the Undead- The Princess' Re

Post by HomerJ »

I think this scenario has been one of the most discussed ones here. I'm not sure from what you said, if you used search to dig up the threads. However some quick advice. Don't attack, plant fodder units to distract enemies and run with your main charas and fodder units (can use thieves for that) to the south east border of the map. Climb the mountains and hopefully you'll get away with it.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
alexanderthegre

Post by alexanderthegre »

This seems cowardly, but on a scenario like this, remember that the map borders act like walls. Retreat into the south-east corner or knock out the sw lich. DO NOT go north or east. Put as much distance in between you and the undead as possible, for as long as possible. Give the holy water to a grand knight and they will turn into an undead-killing machine.
Max

Post by Max »

in case you missed it:
http://wiki.wesnoth.org/HeirToTheThrone ... y_of_Death

seems to be up to date according to the history...
WesnothNewbie

Post by WesnothNewbie »

alexanderthegre wrote:This seems cowardly, but on a scenario like this, remember that the map borders act like walls. Retreat into the south-east corner or knock out the sw lich. DO NOT go north or east. Put as much distance in between you and the undead as possible, for as long as possible. Give the holy water to a grand knight and they will turn into an undead-killing machine.
Trouble is, I have no knights! I lost a fair number of levelled units in the previous battle... But yes, I shall consider retreating to the southeast, maybe put some horseman to kill corpses and something to occupy those wraiths for a bit...
In Linux Land, if you listen hard at night, you can hear the whirr of Windows machines rebooting.
Kymille

Post by Kymille »

Honestly I think you should consider starting over. You'll do much better the second time around. Just my opinion.
WanderingHero

Post by WanderingHero »

Go back the last scenario and keep your knights alive, then use elf fighters as a diverson, give holy water to Knight/Grand Knight and go for a desperate assult on a lich.

Also play Orcish Incursion, its shorter and more enjoyable then HTT, and it will teach you much about the game
WesnothNewbie

Post by WesnothNewbie »

Hey, I think I can finish it now, thanks for the input!