Another version of demons and angels

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
francophone

Another version of demons and angels

Post by francophone »

I do a pose in my campaigns and factions of "Era of Invavions" EOIs (graphics: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=33896).
I have already said elsewhere, there may be different versions of demons. Ditto for celestials.
And so I wanted to make a completely different version from that of EOIs. It is, this time, a more classic version and almost religious.
Demons are rather devils. Celestial are angels.

I drew 6 baseframes:
1 = "forked devil", 2 sadistic torturer, 3 tormentor of Hell
4 satyr, 5 caprine devil, 6 great goat

The sadistic demon have drain in melee because "it feeds on the suffering of its victims."
The other has no weapon as his main attack is magical and It also hits with its horns.
Attachments
6firsts.png
6firsts.png (137.1 KiB) Viewed 5217 times
Dugi

Re: Another version of demons and angels

Post by Dugi »

These devils look good. Why don't you combine them with your demon faction, to add them some variability?

The 4-forked tail is really weird. I think that using something different as a distinguishing mark would be quite useful. And also, he is extremely fat, I am not sure if you wanted it.
When looking at their pectorals, I think they are a bit disfigured.
And I would add some body hair to them, devils are supposed to be hairy.

In the second unit tree, the level 3 one should be a bit taller, I think. And they all have no sign of side colour.
francophone

Post by francophone »

dugi wrote:These devils look good. Why don't you combine them with your demon faction, to add them some variability?
because they are not at all compatible. It 's really not the same vision of demons. In fact, they might be compatible but different races from a different world (and perhaps enemies).
dugi wrote:The 4-forked tail is really weird. I think that using something different as a distinguishing mark would be quite useful.
This is a deliberately exaggerated image of the devil with a forked tail. It's not very serious. Its weapon is as ridiculous as its tail. I wanted to push the logic to the absurd. Lvl 4 looks like it takes a rake and have a rake tail.
dugi wrote:And also, he is extremely fat, I am not sure if you wanted it.
This is deliberate again. And again I've made it a bit ridiculous with that big navel.
dugi wrote:When looking at their pectorals, I think they are a bit disfigured.
I agree, but ...
dugi wrote:And I would add some body hair to them, devils are supposed to be hairy.
But with images of this size...
dugi wrote:In the second unit tree, the level 3 one should be a bit taller, I think. And they all have no sign of side colour.
It is slightly larger at each level. But less than the typical evolution of a line of units.
I think leave it as it is, since this unit has very little HP (but quite fast and very powerful attacks).
I wanted it does not have weapons or clothing. So unless I put the hair on team color, he can not have side colour.
Most of my demons in EOIs did not have side colour. The same about the monsters. I do not think it's a problem. Is it?

And a new (but...)
Attachments
flying2.png
flying2.png (3.45 KiB) Viewed 5153 times
flying devil.png
flying devil.png (3.04 KiB) Viewed 5185 times
francophone

Post by francophone »

Even more disappointing: I try to make a heavenly infanteer but I'm not at all satisfied with any of the two. Ah yes 2 because I wanted to make a variation for the angels: one with white feathers and golden hair and skin; one with black hair and feathers and a very light skin.

The drawing is not finished, there is no the shadow and there are missing pieces of armor or clothing on the arms and legs. But I tried to clean color, shading... of what I have for see how it looks. But I do not think it's great.
heavenly infanteer W.png
heavenly infanteer W.png (2.85 KiB) Viewed 5142 times
heavenly infanteer B.png
heavenly infanteer B.png (2.19 KiB) Viewed 5142 times

And a forked devil version with a slip.
forked devil + slip.png
forked devil + slip.png (1.96 KiB) Viewed 5142 times
The_Other

Post by The_Other »

The feathered wings look wrong - the shape is too regular, they don't look real. Heavenly Infantry's right arm (our left) looks like it has been broken, and the feet seem somehow wrong. I'm not sure how to correct it though, and actually these problems may disappear when you add shading.

Also, those wings are not big enough to lift a humanoid (unless there is magic involved) - to allow 'natural', unassisted flight, they would need to be 2-3 times as big, and with much larger chest muscles to move them. But then, if you're making angels, the normal laws of physics might not apply.
Nothing is true; everything is permissible.
francophone

Post by francophone »

As there is no response, I gathered incremental additions. So here all of the faction of demons.
orga.png

about celests :
I do not really understand the problem with the disarmed arms. But the position is not very good, I agree.

The wings, I wanted to give them the appearance of real wings. And I'm really disappointed that they seem unrealistic. I have drawn my inspiration from real bird wings as pigeons or doves, but without reference under the eyes. I seek and I find one: http://moineaudeparis.com/oiseaux/colom ... SC1846.jpg. If I made ​​more look like that, is it would be better? What differs too much from this picture refer to?
For their size and the muscles to move them, criticism could be right for most winged units of the game. Space is limited and the image would quickly become very large for a single level 1. In the case of angels, they are indeed creatures that fly by magic (the same also for demons and celests of EOIs).
angels.png
angels.png (867 Bytes) Viewed 4997 times
top view.png
top view.png (345 Bytes) Viewed 4997 times
For the feet, they are not good. But I intend to add boots or something.
For cons, I did the shading. The only shadow that is lacking is the one under the character.
But there is also a color problem. For the white wings angel, lacking especially the contrast between skin color and that of the metal (gilded bronze).
For another, it is not good at all. I do not know what to fix: lines less dark for the skin?

So I tried to redo the wings. But this is not good, I think. I also put a top view to illustrate what I wanted to do: wings slightly arcuate and therefore the points a little forward (the opposite of butterfly wings include.)
Last edited by francophone on May 9th, 2012, 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
francophone

Post by francophone »

comments welcome
Dorimen

Post by Dorimen »

Hi francophone!
Your units are good, but I think that they can be a bit more different between lv1,2 and 3 :hmm:
Not only the pose, but also the sizes and some piece of armor (and maybe place some different colors: ex. lv1 brown skin, lv2 dark orange, lv3 red...).
Looking to your last image the 10-11-12 units are good because they are recognizables between levels :)

I lovee the wings of you last angel! :D
DeviantArt Profile
My project: Stickmen Era
Coming soon project: The Chaos Lord- a campaign with the Stickmen Era
--The measure of a man is what he does with power--
francophone

Post by francophone »

Dorimen wrote:Hi francophone!
Your units are good, but I think that they can be a bit more different between lv1,2 and 3 :hmm:
Not only the pose, but also the sizes and some piece of armor (and maybe place some different colors: ex. lv1 brown skin, lv2 dark orange, lv3 red...).
Looking to your last image the 10-11-12 units are good because they are recognizables between levels :)
Thank you for comments.
Yes, I STILL have a problem with differentiating lvl.
The size difference is small. I did not want too much change the size of the goat demon. But I will nonetheless expand over its legs.
May also change the colors. I do not want to change the color of the hairs. But perhaps the skin. But I would avoid brilliant red (already used in EOIs). Maybe yellow :hmm:
I also have to redo the hooves. The hooves of goats are pairs, unlike the horses. They are not cloven but squarely into two parts (front + 2 back).
I do not want to add pieces of armor to other units than infantry or flying. So, for the flying demon lvl 2, I can.
Dorimen wrote:I lovee the wings of you last angel! :D
really ?
Perspective of the last angel wings seem strange not they?
I have another opportunity for the wings which accentuates the appearance of magic and angels in their flight:
Attachments
angels détachées.png
angels détachées.png (775 Bytes) Viewed 4973 times
francophone

Post by francophone »

So:
orga.png
Note about coulour of skin: These demons are creatures of cold, not of warm fire.
Last edited by francophone on May 9th, 2012, 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dorimen

Post by Dorimen »

Uhm, different from the common feeling, but they are not bad in yellow..
Maybe you can add some muscles on the arms of lv3 :hmm:

The new concept of the angel taste magical ^_^
DeviantArt Profile
My project: Stickmen Era
Coming soon project: The Chaos Lord- a campaign with the Stickmen Era
--The measure of a man is what he does with power--
francophone

Post by francophone »

Dorimen wrote:Maybe you can add some muscles on the arms of lv3 :hmm:
I could, but I want it flaccid, unlike the slaver including.
Dorimen wrote:The new concept of the angel taste magical ^_^
It is certain that small wings unattached are not very biologically realistic :mrgreen:

new version of heavenly infanteer (lvl1)
Attachments
infanteer B.png
infanteer B.png (1.65 KiB) Viewed 4946 times
infanteer.png
infanteer.png (1.56 KiB) Viewed 4946 times
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

there is something that you might want to take a look at:
human skeleton (wikipedia).

see how the rib cage becomes narrower in the upper part, leaving plenty of room for the shoulder joints.

and you seem to concentrate on drawing the front of the body, but at that angle the side should be more visible, unless the body is very thin in that direction.
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
francophone

Post by francophone »

I do not understand what you mean. What's wrong? The heavenly infanteer or all (including demons)? The problem is that the torso is too face?
infanteer.png
infanteer.png (1.56 KiB) Viewed 4935 times
That is better ?
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

well, it is more generally the way you draw body and shoulders.
i think you have made progress lately.
but if you feel comfortable with what you are doing, then you might want to look more closely at the skeleton.
you will probably notice something interesting about the upper part of the rib cage and the shoulders.
; )

as for the last celestian, his (or her) left wing and the shadow of the left wing might need some attention.
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings