Where are the actual files for saves located?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ninjuri

Where are the actual files for saves located?

Post by Ninjuri »

I did some searching in the program files, and i think i found a place, Program Files/Battle for Wesnoth/userdata/saves, Only problem is that this folder contains only 13 really old saves, some of which are even deleted, but my most recent saves are nowhere to be found. Is this even the right folder? If so, what am i doing wrong? I just want to know in case i need to post a save game or replay sometime.
Fate is against me.
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Where are the actual files for saves located?

Post by Iris »

Wesnoth support questions don’t belong in Off-Topic, so I moved this to Users’ Forum.

There are somewhat lengthy pointers in EditingWesnoth in the wiki explaining how to locate the user configuration directory on our three main supported platforms. Saved games will be found under saves/ in the correct path.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

I looked on the EditingWesnoth page and it just told me how to get where i already was:
X:\Program Files\Battle for Wesnoth <version>\userdata, where X: corresponds to the drive where Windows is installed (normally C:).
This leads me to believe that i did find the correct folder, but for some reason it is not working properly.

I am uploading a screen-cap to illustrate my problem. As you can see, the saves highlighted in red appear in the directory, however, the ones highlighted in blue, (and all the rest above them), are nowhere to be found.
Attachments
Screencap.gif
Fate is against me.
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

Did you read
Note: If you chose "Store userdata in the install location" during installation you will find your userdata as mentioned above under "General". This will also apply if you launch wesnoth.exe directly instead of using the start menu shortcut.
in the text referred by shadowmaster?
The directory for savefiles depends on the way how you launch Wesnoth.
I work on Conquest Minus • I use DFoolWide, Retro Terrain Package and the add-on 'High Contrast Water'
I moved to Nosebane's corner (Doc Paterson's signature); I am spending my time there, so PM me if I don't answer your post in forums
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

SlowThinker wrote:Did you read
Note: If you chose "Store userdata in the install location" during installation you will find your userdata as mentioned above under "General". This will also apply if you launch wesnoth.exe directly instead of using the start menu shortcut.
in the text referred by shadowmaster?
The directory for savefiles depends on the way how you launch Wesnoth.
Yes i did read that part, and the "general" to which the quote is referring, is actually exactly where i was looking, as stated in my previous quote.
General (before 1.8): X:\Program Files\Battle for Wesnoth <version>\userdata, where X: corresponds to the drive where Windows is installed (normally C:).
Fate is against me.
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

And what do you have in
Windows 2000/XP (1.8 and later): My Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.8
Windows Vista/7 (1.8 and later): Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.8
?
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

Nothing, I don't even have a "My Games" folder anywhere on my computer. Not in my account, pictured on the left, or in my documents, pictured on the right.
Attachments
2.gif
Fate is against me.
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

Did you try to search the "blue" savefiles in your disks?
(Filenames are not always identical with the names of saves, for example spaces are replaced by underscores, so you should search for "AToTB" or "Uprooting")
I work on Conquest Minus • I use DFoolWide, Retro Terrain Package and the add-on 'High Contrast Water'
I moved to Nosebane's corner (Doc Paterson's signature); I am spending my time there, so PM me if I don't answer your post in forums
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Did you also look in the VirtualStore thing?
The wiki wrote:Note: If your userdata folder is located in the install location (for the reasons mentioned above) and you are not an administrator on this machine Windows Vista/7 will silently redirect any write access to the so called Virtual Store. You can find your userdata folder in e.g. C:\Users\<yourname>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Battle for Wesnoth <version>
(Also expained in this topic.)
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

As it tuns out it was in the app data's virtual store. At first i had trouble finding it because there was no app data folder in my user account, but when i went to the Wesnoth program files and clicked "comparability files" (a button that i previously didn't even know existed), it somehow took me into the virtual store. Why they'd have to make this so complicated in the first place is beyond me. There are two strange things about this case. One, i'm not even on Vista, which is what is supposed to have the virtual store, i'm running windows 7; and two, i wonder why the game would save my first about 10 saves into the program files, and then suddenly start placing the rest in this "virtual store."

None the less- My gratitude goes out to the both of you for helping me with this. :)
Fate is against me.
Kymille

Post by Kymille »

i'm not even on Vista, which is what is supposed to have the virtual store, i'm running windows 7
Google tells me that Windows 7 also has the virtual store, so don't worry about that.
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

Oh aha, i got confused because everyone kept repeating vista in that topic.
Fate is against me.
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

Ninjuri wrote:Oh aha, i got confused because everyone kept repeating vista in that topic.
What they meant is "Vista or later" in contrast to Windows XP.
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

ivanovic wrote:
Ninjuri wrote:Oh aha, i got confused because everyone kept repeating vista in that topic.
What they meant is "Vista or later" in contrast to Windows XP.
Well i know that now, haha. :P
Fate is against me.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I have edited the title and contents of the first post of that topic; hopefully it’s all clearer now.

Unfortunately I don’t feel comfortable with integrating Gambit’s tip into it without knowing exactly what I’m doing (since I haven’t used Windows for years). An illustrative screenshot would be nice.