Android 1.8/1.10 support thread

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

cjhopman
Inactive Developer

Android 1.8/1.10 support thread

Post by cjhopman »

IMPORTANT:

This thread primarily concerns the old Wesnoth 1.8 port by cjhopman, although the latest posts are almost exclusively about the Wesnoth 1.10 port by alep.
A new thread for the Wesnoth 1.12 port (also by alep) can be found here.
The Wesnoth 1.8 port has not been updated in years and it’s assumed to be abandoned. If you require assistance with it we recommend you send an email to the maintainer directly.

― shadowm

This thread is for getting support/reporting bugs with the Android port of Battle for Wesnoth. Please do not post congratulations, thank yous, or general chatter. We appreciate all of your feedback, but we don’t want the thread to get inflated. This is very specifically for support. If everyone is having random discussions, or popping in to thank us for the game, then nobody can find the help that they need.

Other Threads
Here are some links to old threads about the Android port. You might be able to glean additional help or information from them.
Source Repo (possibly outdated)
https://github.com/cjhopman/Battle-for- ... on-Android

Getting Help
When asking for help here please provide the following information:
  1. What model is your device?
  2. What version of Android is it running?
  3. Complete description of problem you’re having.
Frequently Encountered Problems
I can’t do multiplayer between my Android device and my computer. — The Android port is based on Wesnoth version 1.8. You have to use that version on your computer.
When returning to a backgrounded game, the screen is blank and I have to force close. — This is a known problem that is being worked on.
Last edited by Iris on March 23rd, 2015, 9:11 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Reason: Changed topic to Sticky
dapegon

Re: Android support thread

Post by dapegon »

Ok...

What model is your device? Arnova 7G2 DT
What version of Android is it running? 2.3.1
Complete description of problem you’re having: while trying to start wesnoth free, device seems to hold for a while while showing a black screen, before returnig back to the apps menu. On a first run it downloads a lot of data but same result.

Best regards.
Diablal

Post by Diablal »

Samsung galaxy s and hp touchpad
ics 4.0.3
i can't find how to display thé next unit menu and information about thé unit. Sometimes when there is a cinematic with the story and if i click it displays a short menu with these two items. But during thé game i don't find how to do it. Thanks.
rejca

Post by rejca »

When I give the start of the game to load the saved game, so my saved games list automatically scrolls down - despite all the saved games and quite slowly. If I cancel and then I'll read again, so it's okay. The problem is always the start of the game. Otherwise, I look forward to the new version 1.10 :-).

I would also like to ask whether the game will run on 10 "FULL HD screen (new generation of tablet)? It will not be too small?

Thank you!

ASUS TRANSFORMER TF101
bpb21

Post by bpb21 »

What model is your device? NookColor modded with CM9
What version of Android is it running? ICS 4.0.3
Complete description of problem you’re having. Wesnoth runs fine, if a bit slowly at times, but will eventually force close to the "desktop" without warning. Restarting the game afterwards gets to the "Battle for Wesnoth" splash screen (first graphics) and then force closes to the desktop again. I end up having to uninstall and reinstall (with the lengthy download) when it starts doing this. I suspect it starts as an out of memory type error, but I don't know why you can't restart the application.

Otherwise, it runs fine while it runs!
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

What model is your device?
SCH-R720
What version of Android is it running?
Complete description of problem you’re having.
I can't even download the game, it just says that this is "incompatible with my device."
Fate is against me.
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

Ninjuri wrote:What model is your device?
SCH-R720
I can't even download the game, it just says that this is "incompatible with my device."
Not a bug at all. Your phone simply has a too low display resolution. To run Wesnoth it has to be able to display at least 800x480 pixel.
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

ivanovic wrote:
Ninjuri wrote:What model is your device?
SCH-R720
Not a bug at all. Your phone simply has a too low display resolution. To run Wesnoth it has to be able to display at least 800x480 pixel.
Not a bug, not a bug? Well it certainly bugs me! *ba dum tss* ^_^
But yeah, it might not be bug, but still worth posting IMO in case the devs come across it and could make a few tweaks to make it work with this model, now that they know a prospective player uses it. It's always a possibility, right?
Fate is against me.
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

Ninjuri wrote:
ivanovic wrote: Not a bug at all. Your phone simply has a too low display resolution. To run Wesnoth it has to be able to display at least 800x480 pixel.
Not a bug, not a bug? Well it certainly bugs me! *ba dum tss* ^_^
But yeah, it might not be bug, but still worth posting IMO in case the devs come across it and could make a few tweaks to make it work with this model, now that they know a prospective player uses it. It's always a possibility, right?
No, since this is not just a tiny tweak but several weeks of work and it would still somehow suck. Trust me on this one, been there, tried it...
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

Okay, so what you're saying is it's pretty much not going to happen for me. I accept this, and am still glad i at least posted in the thread instead of assuming that there was nothing that could be done and consequently not even asking. There is no such thing as a dumb question. Now at the very least i know for sure, and the more you know, the better.
Fate is against me.
foxygen

Post by foxygen »

1)samsung galaxy sII
2)2.3
3)when i launch the game, i can read "error donloading data from data_core_mucic.tar". and it's not working.
DrPepper8

Post by DrPepper8 »

Samsung Galaxy S2, Android v2.3.3

I'm playing Heir To The Throne, getting a bug when I try to recall troops on Scenario 16 (Hasty Alliance) and Scenario 17 (Sceptre of Fire)

I get the following error message and then I get kicked out to the main menu:

Code: Select all

An error due to possibly invalid WML occured
The error message is:
Failed to show a dialog, which doesn't fit on the screen.
When reporting the bug please include the following error message:
/home/chris/bzr/battle/dev/project/jni/../jni/application/wesnoth-1.8.5/src/gui/widgets/window.cpp:808 in function 'void gui2::twindow::layout()' found the following problem: Failed to size window: wanted size 827,5841 available size 800,480 screen size 800,480.
I can recruit new troops fine, just not recall old ones. I've tried reloading previous scenarios and I can still recall troops on them. I've tried reloading, starting the scenarios from scratch, etc, and the problem still happens. Grateful for any help!
Last edited by Iris on May 13th, 2012, 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Replaced color formatting with [code] blocks per entry 1d of the Posting Guidelines.
dannyn

Post by dannyn »

I have been receiving the WML error on a galaxy tab 10.1. I tried using a program to change the DPI which helped it occur less frequently but it still occurs. It seems to occur when I am recruiting troops, but not always, I cant really find a pattern to it. It occurs in all campaigns ive tried so far and even in solo games against the AI.

I'm aware what I'm posting here will be less than helpful in fixing this, so if you reply back with any instructions on how I can gather information which would be helpful I would be more than happy to do so.

edit: ive tried it on 3.1, 3.2, and cyanogen nightly, it occurs on all of them.
Drinkdrawers

Post by Drinkdrawers »

Device: Samsung Infuse 4G

Problem:

In Heir to the Throne, starting on the mission Home of the North Elves, and
continuing at least until the subsequent mission Return to Wesnoth, I am
receiving an error when attempting to recall troops. I don't receive the error
in earlier missions (even when I load them now), and I do not know if it
continues on in further missions, because I can't beat Return to Wesnoth
without recalling troops.

The error text is:

An error due to possibly invalid WML occurred
The error message is:
Failed to show a dialog, which doesn't fit on the screen.

When reporting the bug please include the following message:
/home/cris/bzr/battle/dev/project/jni/../jni/application/wesnoth1.8.5/src/gui/widgets/window.cpp:808
in function 'void gui2::twindow::layout()' found the following problem: Failed
to size window: wanted size 827,3791 available size 800.480 screen size

I'm guessing I can probably get around this by editing one of the cfg files,
but since I have to drag them off my phone to do that, could you let me know
which one I have to fix?

Thanks,
Michael
Maxmaka

Post by Maxmaka »

Unfortunatelly I got same problem during first campaing

Device: Samsung Galaxy S II

I tried to load same safe files on pc version and there is no problem with recalling unit

Please fix is asap