Ice Age Fun and Japhel's Journey

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

bpb21

Re: Ice Age Fun and Japhel's Journey

Post by bpb21 »

Mountain_King wrote:Could you provide a screenshot and/or savegame?

In addition, double check to make sure that there isn't someone standing on one end of the portal/tunnel, as that makes it unusable.
I'm getting the same problem in Japhel's Journey, Hornet's Nest. The tunnel on the left and the tunnel on the right each transport one character; after that, they quit working. I've updated all the add-ons to their most recent versions and I'm using 1.10.2 although I also experienced it with 1.10.1. I've (tried) to attach a savegame as well.

But, it seems like a really cool mod overall! I've got a problem where I can't load up the Ice Age Fun because (among other errors) it can't find the prologue_00, but that's for another post.

(Actually, I saw the post about editing jj_backstory but didn't think I had to since I have J's Journey installed. But doing so will probably fix the Ice Age Fun issue.)
Attachments
JJ-Hornet's_Nest-Auto-Save7.gz
Savegame showing tunnels not working
(40.96 KiB) Downloaded 392 times
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

The "bug" with the tunnels isn't so much a bug as it is design. The teleportation tunnels aren't handled in the engine as teleportation, but as a tunnel, so to speak (I'm using the brand new [tunnel] tag rather than the [teleport] tag). Meaning, once you trigger the event where the bloke says, "there's a tunnel here" and teleports him, it opens up the tunnel so you can predestinate your units to move to the other side of the tunnel, and they will just go through.

I'm very sorry I can't be more on this, but classes started up for me :eng: and I've just become super busy once again. The problem that requires JJ to make IAF work should be fixed with the update I uploaded a couple weeks ago though. Since that update I haven't done anything Wesnoth related at all, except posting this of course. This puts any more updates to Japhel's Journey indefinitely on hold, as I can't upload the scenarios when I don't even have the time to write them.

Best Regards,
Mountain_King
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
bpb21

Post by bpb21 »

Mountain_King wrote:The "bug" with the tunnels isn't so much a bug as it is design. The teleportation tunnels aren't handled in the engine as teleportation, but as a tunnel, so to speak (I'm using the brand new [tunnel] tag rather than the [teleport] tag). Meaning, once you trigger the event where the bloke says, "there's a tunnel here" and teleports him, it opens up the tunnel so you can predestinate your units to move to the other side of the tunnel, and they will just go through.

I'm very sorry I can't be more on this, but classes started up for me :eng: and I've just become super busy once again. The problem that requires JJ to make IAF work should be fixed with the update I uploaded a couple weeks ago though. Since that update I haven't done anything Wesnoth related at all, except posting this of course. This puts any more updates to Japhel's Journey indefinitely on hold, as I can't upload the scenarios when I don't even have the time to write them.

Best Regards,
Mountain_King
Oh...I think I get it. You just select a path on down the other end where the tunnel leads to. Yeah, I'll try that. Well, as fun as your mods are, I SUPPOSE :roll: classes are more important! Thanks for the tip and the great mods!
francophone

Post by francophone »

I finished the 12 scenarios, but with difficulty. Yet I played on normal difficulty (or so I missed?).
The first scenario to play : in the wooden with monsters plants seems to me very hard, with enemies that are hided and who poison. It would take more time to finish it, I think.
But I like the monsters plants. Mostly they are very similar to a race I planned to do. Graphically very different, they have resistances and abilities (poison, regeneration ...) which are very similar to what I expect. I guess it's the same logic that leads to the same conclusion.
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

Haaaaaaiii!!!! Guess who?
Well, it was about time. I got a bit nostalgic and started looking at the forums, then got this uncontrollable urge to do Wesnoth. So I spent some time messing around with the new version and, lo and behold, the most recent version of IAF loads on 1.11! But this is no mere port to 1.11 (just barely). I have provided the following updates:
*Removed the 1.10 and prior campaign image that is of really poor quality.
*Put in those really awesome portraits by doofus that he's making for his new campaign (if you're reading this, doofus, THANK YOU!!!).
*Attached the male 'rebel' portraits to the Spearman/Hunter level one.
*changed version number from 1.5.4b to 1.5.6

Just a little bit, but I'm suddenly excited about Wesnoth again. Until I get a job (or the new quarter starts) I'll be able to spend some time on this. Maybe I can even get JJ updated and finished.

@francophone: If you keep your people together and stick mostly to the path, it can easily be done in the time limit provided, even on hard.

As always, best regards,
Mountain_King
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Eugen

Post by Eugen »

Bug Report:
After playing scenario 03_The_First_Battle the map for next scenario (Fox and Geese) won't load and it gives an error message. I'm playing on BfW 1.11.
AlexejWede

Post by AlexejWede »

Fox and Geese won't load, because you are using an old terrain in the 04_Fox_and_Geese.map. Ggf is deprecated. Am I right?
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

Thanks Eugen for the error report and AlexeJ for reporting the exact error message. Yes, it appears when I updated the maps in 1.10 to account for the deprecated Ggf, I missed a spot. Map is fixed now and should work properly. :D
While I was at it, I uploaded a patched version of JJ that actually allows you to play (it was getting stuck at the first playable scenario). There's also a little something new for you guys toward the end. Hard Hat Area!

Best Regards,
Mountain_King
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Eugen

Post by Eugen »

All hail to Mountain King!
Thanks!
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

No problem! I like it when people play my campaigns, and bugs keep that from happening.
So, it's almost the weekend, so you guys get a minor update for IAF. It's not much, really, but I put some work into it, so there. :P
On 1.10 server it's now version 1.5.6, and these changes were made:
Got everything on the same textdomain so it won't create broken .po files.
Put in new mammoth sprite (again from doofus-01).

On 1.11 server it's almost the same changes, except for this:
Removed (temporarily? :hmm: ) the .xcf file for the tracking map as I don't foresee any need to leave it in there. If someone wants to correct me feel free.

Unfortunately, no new update on JJ. :( I was testing out the alpha version of the new scenario and decided to tweak Japhel's AMLA coding... Which broke the code somehow. :augh: However, I did discover another bug on it which, if you have been testing the new version, probably already found. It's similar to the bug that made the entire campaign unplayable in the previous version. Here is the fix:
In the scenario "Outrage" change the controller on every side (except side 1 of course) to ai instead of human.

Regards,
Mountain_King
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

Bad news, guys. :cry: My computer died before I could update you with the latest bug free version of Japhel's Journey. So I have lost all my data. :augh: There's a small chance (maybe) that I can recover the data, but I don't really know. I'm going to take a Wesbreak until further notice. So, for the time being, both IAF and JJ are officially abandoned. If someone wants to maintain it they can feel free, just as long as they contact me first about it.
Best regards,
Mountain_King
EXTERMINATE!!!!
desert_hunter

Post by desert_hunter »

Hail, O Mountain_King,
I can't start Ice Age Fun after downloading it. Please see the screenshot for detail.
I played Japhel's Journey and loved it! A lot of fun, even some pearl of wisdom too.
Again, never judge a book by its cover. I was missing your Ice Age Fun by its title. Certainly it is seriously good.
Thank you so much!
Attachments
Picture 4.png
Scottar

Post by Scottar »

I played Japhel's Journey up to scenario 13. For some reason when the program, Wesnoth 1.10.2, tried to download that senario I got a map load error.

I captured the error with a screen snapshot as a bmp file but it doesn't seem to display. It said:

The map could not be loaded. Illegal tile in map (Gg^Ecf) "Gg^Ecf".

Map editor would not load it either.
Armendariz

Post by Armendariz »

Somehow I can't even start the campaign. There is always an error report
(Couldn't load [...]/add-ons/The_Ice_Age/_main.cfg
error details: Macro/file '~add-ons/The_Ice_Age/macros/deaths.cfg' is missing at ~add-ons/The_Ice_Age/scenarios/II_Backstory.cfg: 183 included from ~add-ons/The_Ice_Age/_main.cfg: 73 )
After clicking this away, another report appears:
"Fehler (=error)
Unbekanntes Szenario (unknown scenario): '00_Prologue'
I got the German version of the game, as you see.

Could you help me? Thanks!

note: Version is 1.10.6
lipk

Post by lipk »

If you don't have "Ice Age Fun", installing that as well might solve the issue.

EDIT: Oh, stupid me. You're trying to play Ice Age Fun, not Japhel's Journey. Well, that indeed does not start...