Invasion from the Unknown 1.90.8 [Wesnoth 1.12]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Espreon
Inactive Developer

Re: Invasion from the Unknown (1.90.2) for Wesnoth 1.9/1.10

Post by Espreon »

Version 1.90.2 is out. This version fixes most of the issues reported recently along with some other stuff. The changelog for this version follows:

Code: Select all

Version 1.90.2:
- Graphics:
    - New or updated unit graphics: Shaxthal Drone, Shaxthal Runner Drone,
      Shaxthal Sentry Drone.
    - Removed the old Elvish Fighter and female Elvish Archer portraits;
      wired the new ones into the Elvish Civilian.

- Scenarios:
    - Added bonus/gold carryover notes
        - Anlindë and Mal Keshar are now properly recalled at the start of the
          scenario

- Terrains:
    - Improved wasteland-water transitions

- User interface:
    - Fixed glitches at the start of scenario 14, Bye and Behold, when starting
      Episode II from the campaigns menu.
    - Removed map borders overlay from fullscreen cutscene UI.

- Units:
    - The following units are no longer affected by plague: Spearbearer,
      Light Assault Tropper, Heavy Assault Trooper.
blackjack wrote: In "Innuendo", you rescue three prisoners. One of them, Lédinor, is plot-relevant and is recalled. The other 2, Garg and Rurhló, are not recalled in future scenarios.
Hmmm, I shall look into this soon. Thanks for reporting.
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Re: Invasion from the Unknown (1.90.3) for Wesnoth 1.9/1.10

Post by Espreon »

Version 1.90.3 is out. This version features futureproofing and some enhancements. The changelog for this version follows:

Version 1.90.3:

- Graphics:
    - Introduced Elynia's sprite from After the Storm.

- Scenarios:
    - Recall Rurhló and Garg in non-cutscene scenarios after Innuendo.

- Units
    - Brought back the old Falcon unit since it will no longer be in mainline
      starting with 1.9.10.
    - Made use of image_icon= in the Verlissh Matrix Core and the Verlissh
      Matrix Flow System units to enhance experience in 1.9.10 and beyond.

blackjack

Re: Invasion from the Unknown (1.90.3) for Wesnoth 1.9/1.10

Post by blackjack »

Thanks for making the change.

I think that you shouldn't add Rurhló and Garg back to "23C_Broken_Heart.cfg". For one, most of your troops (except for major heroes) are not recalled. Second, these heroes all have special code embedded to move them. This scenario works well without these 2.
A witty saying proves nothing.
-Voltaire
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Re: Invasion from the Unknown (1.90.4) for Wesnoth 1.9/1.10

Post by Espreon »

Version 1.90.4 is out. This versions just features some very minor cleanup; Garg and Rurhló are no longer recalled in Broken Heart.
blackjack wrote:I think that you shouldn't add Rurhló and Garg back to "23C_Broken_Heart.cfg". For one, most of your troops (except for major heroes) are not recalled. Second, these heroes all have special code embedded to move them. This scenario works well without these 2.
Thanks for reporting this; I forgot that Broken Heart had all the teleporty stuff.
Iris
Site Administrator

Invasion from the Unknown (1.90.5) for Wesnoth 1.9/1.10

Post by Iris »

Version 1.90.5 is out.

As with AtS 0.5.3, the purpose of this revision is to match the new mainline AMLA XP requirements in Wesnoth 1.9.10 and later.

The changelog for this version follows.

Version 1.90.5:
- Units:
    - Updated AMLA XP requirements to match mainline on 1.9.10 and later.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Evander

Re: Invasion from the Unknown (1.90.5) for Wesnoth 1.9/1.10

Post by Evander »

Finished this campaign few days ago.

Some feedback:
- there are some spelling errors, however since I played this late at night I failed to take any screenshots.
- aragwaith-sorceress.png has no alpha colour. I corrected this with Irfan View, but decided to let you know :)
- campaign before you launch it looks pretty unappealing - at least for me. Little info on add-on server, no special screenshots, unoriginal name...
- most of this is crawling at really slow pace all over the caves, nests, woods and so on. this gives a sense of your units needing a walking stick or a guide dog to be able to walk at reasonable pace
- the above is extremely annoying, especially when you learn that Mal Keshar spent millennia in caves
- story line claiming right to the fate of Elyssia (rawr! >.<") and Sceptre of Fire (this collides with Sojourning of Grog) and a choice that player made during Under the Burning Suns (helping dwarves?!? who would choose dwarves over self-healing trolls)
- I was unable to finish Dark Lair 2b - or whatever is it's name. After I cleared the map, central pillar where my Arch Enemy was supposed to be did not open
- recruiting and recalling - some info that a player won't be able to recruit more units of given type before a map finishes would be awesome, otherwise it's like "load last save" to just recruit some reserves
- After the Storm: did not liked what happened to everybody in the end, really, but I assume it was your design of the story line

+ otherwise well made and well executed campaign
+ despite it's unattractive appearance on add-on server, it is very interesting and fun to play, once you figure out that ghosts and ancestors are the main killing force after reaching lvl 3, you can focus on the story line
+ Mal Keshar and some of the dialogues between characters.
+ Quenoth and co. Although it would be nice to have some more missions/dialogues there to learn what happened after Quenoth set up their new home on their islands
+ Arawathi units. Nice pixel art there, although sorcerer and sorceress are somewhat too different in appearance.

Well, to sum it all up, this was one of few first campaigns I got from add-on server, but one of the last I decided to play, for the reasons mentioned above. Need some more advertising I think :)
It is like 7/10, where -1 for error preventing me from finishing main campaign, -1 for cave tiles and slow units and -1 for messing up with main story line as mentioned above.

Still it is definitely worth playing and looking for AtS second part :)
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Evander wrote:- aragwaith-sorceress.png has no alpha colour. I corrected this with Irfan View, but decided to let you know :)
This is intentional, as we don’t have a larger-scale original with a transparent background, and I personally hate the upscaling + alpha-to-color + hasty-brush-application procedure, which is about the only way to achieve the 1.5.x-and-later portrait format with pre-1.5.x era portraits. This portrait in particular was taken from elsewhere when I was still developing and finishing IftU on Wesnoth 1.3.x — the mainline portrait back then was this 205x205 portrait-on-a-black-background you see here. It’s been carried over ever since simply because we don’t have anything better.
Evander wrote:- campaign before you launch it looks pretty unappealing - at least for me. Little info on add-on server, no special screenshots, unoriginal name...
There’s not much that can be done about the add-ons server description without bordering on a wall of text or shameless “hey, pick me!” advertising. I generally avoid software or add-ons that appear to demand my attention like that.

“Special screenshots”? I don’t like putting actual gameplay screenshots in the campaign menu or story text either (something UtBS did back in its UMC days), hence no screenshots. There’s no technical mechanism to put screenshots or other custom images in the add-ons server listing, as well, hence it also relies on mainline images for its entry icon, just like AtS.

The name is unoriginal, I know. I asked people here to come up with a better name when I was writing it back in 2007, but nobody even bothered to help me with that. It’s too late to change it now.
Evander wrote:- most of this is crawling at really slow pace all over the caves, nests, woods and so on. this gives a sense of your units needing a walking stick or a guide dog to be able to walk at reasonable pace
- the above is extremely annoying, especially when you learn that Mal Keshar spent millennia in caves
Balancing. I am not keen on having a lot of units that can run or fly around in caves (which is also a bit unrealistic, not that it matters a lot in this case), and the maps are specifically designed to achieve a compromise.
Evander wrote:- story line claiming right to the fate of Elyssia (rawr! >.<") and Sceptre of Fire (this collides with Sojourning of Grog) and a choice that player made during Under the Burning Suns (helping dwarves?!? who would choose dwarves over self-healing trolls)
Pffft. You can come up with wacky “parallel universe” theories if you must. I don’t really care, since I like the storyline as I wrote it and that’s all that matters as I’m not being paid for this. 8) IIRC IftU came before SoG, as well.
Evander wrote:- I was unable to finish Dark Lair 2b - or whatever is it's name. After I cleared the map, central pillar where my Arch Enemy was supposed to be did not open
Espreon will look into this, hopefully. I don’t have time for that at the moment (I last played this two years ago?).
Evander wrote:- recruiting and recalling - some info that a player won't be able to recruit more units of given type before a map finishes would be awesome, otherwise it's like "load last save" to just recruit some reserves
I believe the player will see warnings in Objectives or in random narrator messages in these cases in IftU since a couple of years. Since you seem to have problems with this, could you point out which specific scenarios lack them?
Evander wrote:- After the Storm: did not liked what happened to everybody in the end, really, but I assume it was your design of the story line
Yup. Off-topic, though. The AtS working topic is elsewhere. :P
Evander wrote:+ Quenoth and co. Although it would be nice to have some more missions/dialogues there to learn what happened after Quenoth set up their new home on their islands
That’s sort of the point of AtS E1S6.
Evander wrote:+ Arawathi units. Nice pixel art there, although sorcerer and sorceress are somewhat too different in appearance.
Unfortunately, the creator of these units (originally for EE, I think) became inactive in middle of an overhaul, so IftU got stuck with what was available at that time, years ago.
Evander wrote:Need some more advertising I think :)
Ah well, I think I addressed this above.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Evander

Post by Evander »

This is intentional, as we don’t have a larger-scale original with a transparent background...
I'm not sure what all those strange words mean, but I managed to give it alpha and it looked decent. still, if it is not needed...
There’s not much that can be done about the add-ons server description without bordering on a wall of text or shameless “hey, pick me!” advertising. I generally avoid software or add-ons that appear to demand my attention like that.
that's not exactly what I had in mind.
but think of this:
- you download a campaign with pretty unoriginal name
- you read pretty unoriginal description
- you see pretty unoriginal picture there with some empty ground
there is no way to guess that this campaign is actually pretty nice and worth playing from what it shows on add-on.
perhaps some more elaborate description, or more interesting picture there?
Evander wrote:- story line claiming right to the fate of Elyssia (rawr! >.<") and Sceptre of Fire (this collides with Sojourning of Grog) and a choice that player made during Under the Burning Suns (helping dwarves?!? who would choose dwarves over self-healing trolls)
Pffft. You can come up with wacky “parallel universe” theories if you must. I don’t really care, since I like the storyline as I wrote it and that’s all that matters as I’m not being paid for this. 8) IIRC IftU came before SoG, as well.
thats a danger with including too much of Main Story Line. Let's just say that current storyline of IftU can stir up different emotions :)
I believe the player will see warnings in Objectives or in random narrator messages in these cases in IftU since a couple of years. Since you seem to have problems with this, could you point out which specific scenarios lack them?
again, since I am playing late at night it is possible that I missed that.
but the one I think I can point you to is that where you can last recruit arawathi units. as the map ends, you got some speech from your soldiers "we are coming with you" and info that you can no longer recruit arawahti.
Unfortunately, the creator of these units (originally for EE, I think) became inactive in middle of an overhaul, so IftU got stuck with what was available at that time, years ago.
well, that sucks >.>
Last edited by Evander on November 23rd, 2011, 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

IftU is available in 1.9? Sweet.

EDIT: For some weird reason, the falcons in the first scenario sometimes disappear. Is that intentional?
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Re: Invasion from the Unknown (1.90.6) for Wesnoth 1.9/1.10

Post by Espreon »

Version 1.90.6 is out. This version features some workarounds for bugs in the engine as well as some code, language, and animation fixes. The changelog for this version follows:

Version 1.90.6:

- Language and i18n
    - Various fixes

- Scenarios
    - 23B
         - Worked around an engine bug to ensure that the Shadow Master
           appearance event and the aggressive shaxthal respawn event trigger.
    - 23Cx
         - Fixed syntax errors in a [color_adjust] block.
         - Fixed syntax errors in a [color_adjust] block.

- Units
    - Sprite tree, Lady of Light, and Sylvan Warden: made it so that the ring
      haloes in the mystic fire animation do not get vertically flipped
      when attacking in the southern directions.
sur.nhm wrote: EDIT: For some weird reason, the falcons in the first scenario sometimes disappear. Is that intentional?
If you mean when they get near the map borders, then yes, it is intentional.
Theron

Post by Theron »

IftU 1.90.5, hard / Wesnoth 1.9.10 / Mac OS X 10.6.8

// Bugs and Problems
Scenario 2:
19.11.11 09:09:01 [0x0-0x150150].org.wesnoth.Wesnoth[11899] 20111119 09:09:01 error display: could not open image 'units/elves-wood/anlinde-ascetic-defend.png'

Scenario 3:
19.11.11 10:10:45 [0x0-0x1aa1aa].org.wesnoth.Wesnoth[14331] 20111119 10:10:45 error config: Illegal tile in map: (Gs^Zi) 'Gs^Zi'
19.11.11 10:10:45 [0x0-0x1aa1aa].org.wesnoth.Wesnoth[14331] 20111119 10:10:45 error config: map could not be loaded: Illegal tile in map: (Gs^Zi) 'Gs^Zi'
19.11.11 10:10:45 [0x0-0x1aa1aa].org.wesnoth.Wesnoth[14331] The map cannot be loaded.

Scenario 4:
19.11.11 23:19:10 [0x0-0x1aa1aa].org.wesnoth.Wesnoth[14331] 20111119 23:19:10 warning engine: ignoring duplicate side filter information (inline side=)
19.11.11 13:26:29 [0x0-0x1aa1aa].org.wesnoth.Wesnoth[14331] 20111119 13:26:29 error display: could not open image 'units/elves-wood/prowler+female-defend.png'

Scenario 5:
Reproduced the plague issue (http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 41#p512141); a save game is attached.
-> Kill the Crossbowman with the WC at 51,12: Plague does not work.
But… later I was able to plague the Dark Sorceress.
So it has to be a issue with the human chaos unit(s) and not with WCs raised by Mal Keshar.
Attachments
IftU-1-Crossfire_Turn_9-plague_test.gz
(89.41 KiB) Downloaded 292 times
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Theron wrote:Scenario 3:
19.11.11 10:10:45 [0x0-0x1aa1aa].org.wesnoth.Wesnoth[14331] 20111119 10:10:45 error config: Illegal tile in map: (Gs^Zi) 'Gs^Zi'
19.11.11 10:10:45 [0x0-0x1aa1aa].org.wesnoth.Wesnoth[14331] 20111119 10:10:45 error config: map could not be loaded: Illegal tile in map: (Gs^Zi) 'Gs^Zi'
19.11.11 10:10:45 [0x0-0x1aa1aa].org.wesnoth.Wesnoth[14331] The map cannot be loaded.
Does this happen during gameplay causing the scenario to abort, or just when loading a saved game before the campaign’s data has been loaded by Wesnoth in the current session for the first time? The latter is a known problem with any add-on using custom terrains which has (at the moment) no real solution, but can be safely ignored since it has no side-effects.

(The Gs^Zi terrain string in particular appears in the map for scenarios 2, 4, 5b and 16, but not 3, so that error may occur when generating the map snapshot for the minimap preview of another scenario’s saved games in the Load Game dialog.)
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

found some potential spelling/grammar issues at the end dialogue of Memories from the Depths, also from the segue way and intro to the next one:
Spoiler:
Edit: Also, the purple elf lady disappears when attacked- is this from a lack of a defense animation?

BTW using 1.9.10, and pretty sure the latest version of IFtU, Linux 64 bit

Really fun so far- maybe not for long considering I'm on the fourth scenario now :mrgreen:
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Played the campaign and under 65 losses. It was awesome. But why don't loyal units get the loyal icon?
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
tribes45

Post by tribes45 »

When ever I killed Mal-Keshar in Scenario (3 I believe) an error pops up.
Attachments
Error1256.PNG
"In peace, sons bury their fathers. In war, fathers bury their sons." -Herodotus
"Two things are infinite, the universe and Human stupidity. Although, I'm not sure about the universe. -Albert Einstein