Games discussion

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Games discussion

Post by Crendgrim »

Blarumyrran wrote: i mean - can you bring an example of a comparison of 2 real-life items that are NOT so "completely different things" that "You can't really compare" the "goodness" of them? You probably can (unless you are a very hypocritical kind of person), but then can you explain what are your general conditions for determining whether 2 real-life items are "completely different things" or not, in the context of being comparable for the question "is X as good as Y"? Or perhaps "comparableness" is a continuous, numeric value - then how do you estimate it?
Ah, now I understand what you meant.
Well, I tried to explain that you cannot say which of those two games is better, because they are based on two completely different approaches. Take for example myself. I really love all kinds of RPGs, and I can say that Skyrim is a very good one. This means that Skyrim is a very good game for me. However, I don't like Shooters at all, so the good game Halo isn't a good game for me.
As Boldek asked whether Skyrim is as good as Halo, I tried to say (and when I re-read what I wrote I see that I could have said it better) exactly this: While both Halo and Skyrim are very good games of their respective kind, there is no way to say whether each of them is a good game for a person who likes the other.
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
aklotz

Post by aklotz »

vodot wrote:My real complaint with freeciv/civ is that the strategy that is required (see below) to win competitive multiplayer/high-level AI games is not at all apparent from or encouraged by the manual, high-difficulty AI, in-game-text, GUI, realism, "feelings", etc. It's simply unapparent until stumbled upon.
Spoiler:
Yes, exactly my point with almost all command style games. Victory conditions can be condensed to simply an algorithm or a list, and there is no random element once it is discovered. It becomes a time problem first and an interface problem second. The advantage here is the realm of a computer, operating fluidly in its own system, as sad as it may be. Interestingly, humans can make real life more like an algorithm but it isn't very beautiful (que failed social lives and probably the financial crisis of 08).

I had to refresh myself on what some of those terms mean: chop, smallpox, rapture because it was clearly not a strategy I followed closely when I played (Civ4, poxing cities did work in Civ3) which probably was why I had so much dissatisfaction with the game. Interestingly chopping down all the forests or smallpoxing human population should be a risk, not an absolute truth (nuclear weapons anyone?). Clearly there is non-benevolence programmed into the AI as a characteristic of continuing to play the game. Because AI sucks at understanding diplomacy with a real player and what the intent of that player might be outside of the boundaries of the "Spoiler"; the choice of programmers is to simply use DiploAI to reward a path of fastest escape from the planet by supporting the winning algorithm model in maximizing the highest level of resource destruction possible? Its not very diplomatic if an actual player cannot influence an adaptation in the "Spoiler" that makes an AI no longer maximize the boundaries of the game. Not even requiring the AI to tech through fascism to play like it is simply ironic.
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

I'm playing Rise of Nightmares on Xbox kinect. I was thinking about buying kinect for a while now, but I always thought that paying an awful lot of money just to play sports inside your house alone is just too nerdy. Then, when I was just browsing through the games I noticed a survival horror for kinect. Fighting zombies with your bare hands? What could possibly be better than that? So I bought kinect and this game. And it was worth it!!!
This game takes horror games to a whole new level. Some time ago I was ranting about Resident Evil 5 and how horror games become more action based and less terrifying. Rise of Nightmares is exactly what horror should mean- horrific atmosphere, gore (not too much, but enough to make it twisted), wicked weapons and a good plot.
See the trailer ([acronym="NOT suitable for work/minors"]NSFW/M[/acronym])
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
Boldek

Post by Boldek »

Does anybody else play Lost Labyrinth?

9001st post in the off topic!!!!!!!
Guys I never thought I'd come back to this forum after 8 years this is wild
Shinobody

Post by Shinobody »

Umm, what is so different between this and other roguelikes?
All I see so far is rewarding exp for reaching new levels of dungeon (anti-grind), which sounds neat, and would sensibly allow to use stealth to deal with dangers (especially since monsters rarely notice you when you attack). Rest of it (including graphics*) looks pretty generic.
Ah, I forgot. There are "Buy extended version!" screens reminding me of old sharewares... But that's not the "good" kind of nostalgia.
Sorry, when I will want to play roguelike, I will play ADOM. Or DoomRL, if I'll want something simple.
* - which, to me, look more like Heroes II rather than (as they advertise) 2D Zeldas, but whatever.
Artist, writer, game designer for hire.
Art portfolio: https://shino1.artstation.com
Writing dump: https://shino1portfolio.wordpress.com/
My itchio for video games and TTRPG stuff: https://shino1.itch.io/
Boldek

Post by Boldek »

Shinobody wrote:Ah, I forgot. There are "Buy extended version!" screens reminding me of old sharewares... But that's not the "good" kind of nostalgia.
Well, you don't buy it, because LL is a game you play when you're trying to kill 24 hours of your life, so as I agree that I think it's silly of them to try to winkle money out of players, it doesn't degrade the free game in any way.
Shinobody wrote:Sorry, when I will want to play roguelike, I will play ADOM. Or DoomRL, if I'll want something simple.
* - which, to me, look more like Heroes II rather than (as they advertise) 2D Zeldas, but whatever.
The entire idea of 'little 2D poorly drawn cartoon char walks into dungeon looking for magical artifact and fights anything from sabertooth tigers to zombies' is supposed to be appealing to the generic dungeon crawler crowd, don't you think?
Guys I never thought I'd come back to this forum after 8 years this is wild
MRDNRA

Post by MRDNRA »

PC games I play regularly (at the minute, over time it always changes):

BfW
Minecraft
Football Manager (still playing a 2011 game even though 2012 is out)

Other PC games I have:

Age of Empires 1 & 2 (Also have Mythology but that won't install on my laptop due to hardware compatibility issues even though AoE 1 & 2 installed on it. I have Windows 7!)
Railroad Tycoon 2 Platinum Edition (bought it in a bundle of 3 for $4.99 on my only visit to the US!)
Railroad Tycoon 3 (don't play it at all though, 2 is better IMO)
MechCommander 2 (awesome game, have to run it in compatibility mode though)
Transport Tycoon deluxe

Xbox games (I have a lot, so I'll just mention a few. I also don't currently have xbox live):
Halo 3 (excellent campaign, but not played campaign or MP for ages)
Halo 3 ODST (good campaign)
Halo Reach (was a let down IMO, 3 was and still is better)
Gears of War 1, 2 and 3 (never completed the last level of 1, although a friend is currently borrowing it. 2 has a very good campaign, not played much of 3 yet although almost completed the campaign split screen.)

That's about all I really consider worth mentioning.
aklotz

Post by aklotz »

Anybody want to try out Frozen Synapse?
Its pretty good but it does get repetitive.
I have two licenses up for grabs to the first poster, gratis
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Really now? How can I turn down a free cross-platform game? :)
aklotz

Post by aklotz »

free = you wait a little bit but you are first on the list if i cant bundle/sell it on another forum

ive actually got a bunch of videogame stuff i dont want

1 new boxed belkin N52TE
1 SteelSeries 7.1 Syberia USB Soundcard
1 license Starcraft 2 including Warcraft 3 and Expansion
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

Star Trek Online! FREE TO PLAY! :mrgreen:

It's an ok game. Not the best MMO, but... It's Star Trek, so I play it.
spartan7023

Post by spartan7023 »

I've been playing "Three Plains the Free Rules Wargame."

You can learn more about it here: http://epicwargaming.com/
Last edited by artisticdude on March 26th, 2012, 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Your post looked a lot like something a spambot would post. I've edited it slightly to clarify that you're not a spambot.
Spartan7023
Crushmaster

Post by Crushmaster »

Wonderputt - pretty decent golf flash game. Has some downsides, but worth a play.

(Edited because I can't recommend the former game anymore.)
God bless,
Crushmaster.
Last edited by Crushmaster on October 13th, 2012, 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Godspeed, random person!
NeedGod - User:Crushmaster
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Battlefield 3.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
MCP

Post by MCP »

Really well done article on the ballooning costs for video game development:
http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2012/07 ... of-gaming/

Just a really good job on her part for putting that all together.