"Story of Three Villages" - A campaign in the far future

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Turgon

Re: "Story of Three Villages" - A campaign in the far future

Post by Turgon »

Okay, thank's for that hint. I implemented it, still it doesn't work. I also tried another thing: There are sometimes error messages saying that the unit type "Fighter" is unknown. Of course this is nonsense, because the fighter did work properly all the time as long there were only the first two scenarios. Therefore I replaced all Fighters with Fencers, they'll do the job as well. As you can see in the first picture I attached, the game still complains about fighters which aren't supposed to take a part in the campaign anymore. Even if I start a new campaign, the game has an error message for me (secound attached picture). That one seems to be even more crucial to me, still I have no idea what to do about it. It is always followed by an "unknown scenario (...)".
Attachments
Zwischenablage01.jpg
wesnoth screen error.jpg
Looking for feedback for my dramatic campaign "A story of three villages", a late-age men vs. undead story going to include vampires and werewolves: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=36193
Turgon

Post by Turgon »

Well, I tried different other things: I took out some of the commands from the third scenario, e.g. the terrain change and later the complete side4-event. Still it doesn't word. Restarting the campaign results in "unknown scenario: 1_An_adventure_in_winter". Removing the third scenario from the scenario-folder makes everything working fine again...
Looking for feedback for my dramatic campaign "A story of three villages", a late-age men vs. undead story going to include vampires and werewolves: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=36193
Turgon

Post by Turgon »

Well, is there anyone who can provide any help?
Ceres
Forum Regular

Post by Ceres »

I reread the code and found that you messed up the arguments' order here:

Code: Select all

{NAMED_LOYAL_UNIT 1  6 10 "Torell" (_ "Torell")}
{NAMED_LOYAL_UNIT 1  6 12 "Gunther" (_ "Gunther")}
The definition of that macro shows how it should be:

#define NAMED_LOYAL_UNIT SIDE TYPE X Y ID_STRING NAME_STRING
(you switched type and x y)

Edit: You have to define side 4 with a [side], just making a unit with side=4 isn't enough. If you want to have no leader for it (or want to add one later), put "no_leader=yes" into that [side]. The recruit list also goes there, not into a [unit].
Turgon

Post by Turgon »

Hm, after all I decided to create a totally new 3rd scenario. Now that I have enough free time, I hope that I will make good progress with the campaign. I've switched to 1.10.0. It even already works. The only problem is, that the most important event isn't launched:

[event]
        name=moveto
        [filter]
            side=1
            x=63
            y=7-19
        [/filter]
        [remove_fog]
            side=1
            x=63-91
            y=0-21
        [/remove_fog]

[message]
            id=Allarea
            message=_ "You are not undead. What are you searching for?"
        [/message]

[message]
            id=Tyrell
            message=_ "There is a giant undead army, closing in from behind. We seek shelter in the monastery."
        [/message]

[message]
            id=Allarea
            message=_ "You may pass. We will hold them off for a while."
        [/message]	

[message]
            id=Torell
            message=_ "Don't be silly, Elvish woman! They are way too many. Come with us!"
        [/message]	

[message]
            id=Allarea
            message=_ "*smiling* This is my wood, mortal man. You can't understand that. If it is my fate to die here, I won't flee."
        [/message]			

[message]
            id=Torell
            message=_ "Don't be silly, Elvish woman! They are way too many. Come with us!"
        [/message]	

{NAMED_LOYAL_UNIT 1 "Mage of Light" 89 5 "Roddy" (_ "Roddy")}
		{NAMED_LOYAL_UNIT 1 "Paladin" 87 14 "Member of the council" (_ "Member of the council")}
		{NAMED_LOYAL_UNIT 1 "Paladin" 87 4 "Former Guardian of the King" (_ "Former Guardian of the King")}
		{NAMED_LOYAL_UNIT 1 "Paladin" 87 12 "Former Guardian of the King" (_ "Former Guardian of the King")}
		{NAMED_LOYAL_UNIT 1 "Heavy Infantry" 80 17 "Young soldier from Hangkaff" (_ "Young soldier from Hangkaff")}
		{NAMED_LOYAL_UNIT 1 "Heavy Infantry" 80 15 "Young soldier from Hangkaff" (_ "Young soldier from Hangkaff")}
		{NAMED_LOYAL_UNIT 1 "Heavy Infantry" 80 12 "Young soldier from Hangkaff" (_ "Young soldier from Hangkaff")}
		{NAMED_LOYAL_UNIT 1 "Red Mage" 81 9 "Young mage from Hangkaff" (_ "Young mage from Hangkaff")}
		{NAMED_LOYAL_UNIT 1 "Red Mage" 83 7 "Young mage from Hangkaff" (_ "Young mage from Hangkaff")}

[message]
            id=Roddy
            message=_ "Survivors? Come in, we have to talk."
        [/message]	
		[message]
            id=Torell
            message=_ "We have to fight the undead first."
        [/message]
		[message]
            id=Roddy
            message=_ "You look battle-hardened. Take command!"
        [/message]	
		[/event]
Basically, I am not really sure how to work with the moveto-event and if it really covers all the hexes I want to include into the trigger. The game also says "invalid wml: no fog doesn't exist" or something like that. Can't I remove the fog from the right side of the battlefield or is there just another command? It also says sometimes something like the [unit] command doesn't exist, but that has never changed anything about my [unit]-lines.

EDIT: Changed the fog to shroud now. Seems to work pretty fine. Now I have uploaded Version 0.5 with the first three scenarios, feedback please! ;-)
Ceres
Forum Regular

Post by Ceres »

By the way, to remove fog, you have to use the CLEAR_FOG and UNCLEAR_FOG macros (see data/core/macros/interface_utils.cfg, lines 95-124).

It says that [unit] isn't supported at scenario toplevel (meaning that it can't be a direct subtag of [scenario]). [unit] has to be either in [side] or somewhere where ActionWML is allowed. The reason for the error message is the (redundant) creation of Gunther in scenario 1, line 94.

Edit: In scenario 3, you create units with the same id. Wesnoth does not take this well, of there're two units with the same id, one of them will disappear upon reloading/ending the scenario.
Turgon

Post by Turgon »

Oh yes, that happened to me before, in scenario two, before I started to give all the summoned creatures fancy names.

Fixed. Version 0.5a uploaded.
Any suggestions about the maps, the texts, the gameplay (balancing) ?
Turgon

Post by Turgon »

I am making progress with the campaign, designing the one before the last scenario... Soon the campaign will be complete! There is just one problem at the moment: I have a pure dialogue scenario, in which the good guys don't appear. There are only the bad ones... I had to style them "side=1", because the game doesn't accept it if I just have no side 1 and just call the bad guys "side 2". Now if I step to the next scenario where my hero is side=1 again, he loses his whole recall list. That's bad :(
How can I safe my hero's veterans, even if he doesn't show up in some scenarios?
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Turgon wrote:I am making progress with the campaign, designing the one before the last scenario... Soon the campaign will be complete! There is just one problem at the moment: I have a pure dialogue scenario, in which the good guys don't appear. There are only the bad ones... I had to style them "side=1", because the game doesn't accept it if I just have no side 1 and just call the bad guys "side 2". Now if I step to the next scenario where my hero is side=1 again, he loses his whole recall list. That's bad :(
How can I safe my hero's veterans, even if he doesn't show up in some scenarios?
If the side is [ai] controlled, then:
Wiki wrote: Step 1: Provide A Save ID

The first thing you need to do is create a save_id for the player. A save_id helps Wesnoth track which side in a scenario will obtain the player's gold, units, etc. This allows you to change the side of a player without having to manually copy over the gold, units, etc.

To define a save_id, place the following code in between the [side][/side] tags of the player's side, in every scenario of the campaign:
persistent=1
save_id=(some name)

Replace, of course, "(some name)" with a name that befits the player. It is important to provide a meaningful name, because the save_id is displayed to the user in the gold bonus box at the end of a scenario.
SideSwitchingWML
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Turgon

Post by Turgon »

Turning the side to "human" already worked. Thanks for the hint, anyway ;)
I'm having a great time balancing this damn scenario, it's huge...

EDIT: Can I specify the "avoid"-order for certain units?
Turgon

Post by Turgon »

Excuse the double post, but I proudly announce VERSION 0.8 RELEASED!

Now with vampires (in scenario 1, too!)... This release is basically about presenting the new story elements in the scenarios 4 and 5 and to show you my awkward vampires in scenario 6. Note that scenario 6 is unfinished regarding storyline (I will add much more information about the characters and the vampire lady) and gameplay (you can't basically win, except for the standard winning condition "Kill all enemy leaders" which will be changed when it's finished; the losing events aren't included as well so that you can let Tyrell die and you won't lose, but just get an unsuitable message ;) ) So take this version as a first glimpse at what will come... a teaser or so^^

Note that I also included a readme.cfg file which explains where to put the pictures for the new units. I took all the images from Era of Myths, but I didn't get a response yet from a guy I asked about it. In the finished version they will be mentioned of course in the credits.

Here's the text of the readme:
"To make all the vampire (and for later versions also the wolves) work, you need to take the two folders with the names "sotv" (can be found in userdata\data\add-ons\the_story_of_three_villages\images then -> units and -> portraits) and paste them into the core/images/units or core/images/portraits directory."
Have fun and don't forget to comment in the forum! ;D
Turgon

Post by Turgon »

Okay, after a long break I finally got back to work. Expect the next version with some fixes, a WAY better selection of music and the finalized szenario 5 (maybe already a teaser to the final szenario 6) within one or two weeks...

I'd be glad if there is any feedback.
Turgon

Post by Turgon »

I proudly announce version 0.9!

Now with 7 playable scenarios (5 missions, 2 dialogue)!
Will the monastery give you shelter? Or will you fail to defend it from Vampires, Undead and their nasty wolf allies? Will there be hope for mankind in its darkest hour? Which role does the famous so-called demonhunter Arsene play? And how about Torell? Will he accept his son's will to lead or will he break with him in open rebellion? Lots of questions which are now to be answered...