Why the hell cant l change the effects of "fearless" trait?

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Re: Why the hell cant l change the effects of "fearless" tra

Post by Alarantalara »

AxalaraFlame wrote:Yes I tried it, but l still can't level a knight (with two normal traits) to a paladin withnthree traits. This effect is just like the effect to bats, {must_have_feral}. They can be conscripted but not leveled up to be someone.
That is very odd, since I have successfully done exactly that. Did you type it exactly as written, including case sensitivity?
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

The_Other wrote:You could try creating a custom race, used only for the Paladin unit, which is identical to human except with three traits (including the compulsory Fearless)

Alternatively, give the Paladin a modified version of the Illuminate ability, which affects only himself and works only at night (thus eliminating the night-time penalty, but not affecting adjacent units or providing any benefit at other times of day). Functionally this is the same as Fearless, except that it is implemented as an ability rather than a trait.

Code: Select all

#define FEARLESS_PALADIN_HACK
    [illuminates]
        id=fearless_hack
        value=25
        max_value=25
        cumulative=no
        name= _ "fearless"
        female_name= _ "female^fearless"
        description= _ "Fearless:
This unit does not receive a damage penalty for fighting at night."
        affect_self=yes
	    [filter_self]
            	[filter_location]
                    time_of_day=chaotic
	        [/filter_location]
            [/filter_self]
	affect_adjacent=no
    [/illuminates]
#enddef
I haven't tested this so it may not work like it's supposed to, but it looks right to me.
thanks god! that is what l need for such a long time!! l was always doubting about how "fearless" trait was defined, and then that guy on the second floor told me they are ciphered...thank u big bro
The_Other

Post by The_Other »

AxalaraFlame wrote:=that guy on the second floor told me they are ciphered...thank u big bro
:?
Am I missing something?
I assume you mean Ceres...but why is he on the second floor, "little bro"?
Nothing is true; everything is permissible.
lea

Post by lea »

stumbled upon the same issue and decided to necro-post alternative solutions:

1) make your trait id=fearless to use hardcoded functionality for your trait. you can add other effects to your custom trait as well

2) use [leadership] ability that affects only self and only during unfavorable time of day (you'll have to also filter on unit's alignment). in this case you will have to add another [leadership] ability that works only when unit is affected by mainline ability named "leadership", because multiple [leadership] abilities affecting the same unit add their percentages and then apply resulting total percentage to the unit, so without extra ability your unit will get -25% damage from unfavorable time of day

[illuminates] ability cannot help because it also affects adjacent hexes and this "area effect" seems to be impossible to turn off

hope that helps someone five years later :P
author of: Altered Era/Ruleset (AKA "Altera"), latest version is on add-ons servers for BfW 1.16 and 1.14, latest version also still supports BfW 1.12 and 1.10, 1.10 server is stuck with older buggy version)
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

in wesnoth 1.13 this is no longer hardcoded and you can do [effect] apply_to=fearless (without giving it the visible trait)
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
lea

Post by lea »

1.13 is development version, it is not intended to be stable... any hints as to when 1.14 is going to be released?
author of: Altered Era/Ruleset (AKA "Altera"), latest version is on add-ons servers for BfW 1.16 and 1.14, latest version also still supports BfW 1.12 and 1.10, 1.10 server is stuck with older buggy version)
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

There's no firm date, but you can get a feel for the progress being made by looking at the Milestones set for each release on github. There's now this thread as well.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
lea

Post by lea »

Thanks for these pointers!