SX RPG ADD ON 4.9.10 - now on 1.10.x Server.

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Drakefriend

Re: SX RPG ADD ON 3.9.93h - now on 1.10.0 Server.

Post by Drakefriend »

If leveling changes an attack's name, all upgrades to this attacks are lost. Can this be fixed?
345th post!
After far too long an absence, I have returned.
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.
Griffith

Post by Griffith »

I had a unit with 2x fearless , because it was about to gain leadership (wich i wanted because it can reach lvl 4). (That was on Friday maybe fixed)
Why replace backstabb?
and doesnt poison prevent healing for 1 turn?
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Drakefriend wrote:If leveling changes an attack's name, all upgrades to this attacks are lost. Can this be fixed?
345th post!
no, since its a complete new weapon you get.
for example dark sorc levels to lich.
if you have a slow-special on his default staff, then the slow wont be used for the lichs arcane-melee attack

and even if just the name changes and not the damage-type -the system cannot know this.
it may be as well a complete new weapon. and not just the same, just with a different name.

solution:
i can deactivate weapon-specials until max level.
(exception are shop-weapons)
since you should wait for them anyways until max level

also: can you give me a SXRPG ERA example, or is this a problem generated by some UMC era?

then i will estimate the needs to adjust for it.
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

For example a Necrophage that becomes a Ghast, or the cold attack of Dark Sorcerer-Lich.
After far too long an absence, I have returned.
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Griffith wrote:How about to replace the quick condition (mov +1 only) with rider wich make charge move based (used movement point while attack give extra damage)
that sound more like a weapon special "riders charge"
however, almost every unit moves some hexes before attacking a unit

but its unlikely that this will be implemented
Griffith wrote: and extra movement after kill based on max movement?
there wont be more than 5.
i think about giving away +5 moves after a kill when the max movement is 15. Due to your suggestion.

(units with high base move can reach this a lot easier.

example:
cav with 8 moves base spend 280 gold to reach 15 moves
dwarf with 4 move base spand 660 gold to reach 15 moves)
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Drakefriend wrote:For example a Necrophage that becomes a Ghast, or the cold attack of Dark Sorcerer-Lich.
ok i see.

well, then adding specials to a non max-level weapon (except shop weapon) should be definately restricted,
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Hex wrote: Do negative resistances cost armor slots? If they are still free, please explain this discrepancy between that
negative resistances dont cost armor slots in order to make more units attractive.

theory:
--------
resistancewise by now the best unit has 100% positive base resistance and 0% negative resistance.
this results in having the maximum number of armor slots (14) and being able to get 240% armor total.

every unit with more than 100% positive default gets less armor slost, since the maximum total is 240%,
every unit with less than 100% positive default armor will get all 14 armor slots, but a lower total.

now it happens that there are units wich have no negative resistances, but high positive armor.
these units are a good choice.

then there are units that may have high doge and are therefore attractive.

and then there are units that have good positive default, but also hard negatives.
i also want to make these units attractive to enrichen the game.

the negative armor is simply a slight handicap that cost the player some gold.

for the game it isnt important to keep the negative resistances of some units, because players would simply never chose them then. it woudlnt change anything but players would simply renounce to play units with high negative resistances.
this behaviour is proved

and so negative resistances are just a handicap gold wise. so more units (drake, wose) are attractive for players.

and no, it wont change -
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Griffith wrote:I had a unit with 2x fearless , because it was about to gain leadership (wich i wanted because it can reach lvl 4). (That was on Friday maybe fixed)
Why replace backstabb?
and doesnt poison prevent healing for 1 turn?
backstab is replaced becausee it is another damage-multiplier. if someone create backstab-charge combination, this COULD screw the damage-calculations in no-luck mode (wesnoth engine limitation)

poison was replaced by magical (and 2 damage were added) since i thought this would make default poison weapons more useful in SX

yeah, poison prevents high tier enemies from regenerating, but only if these high tier enemies are not undead or demons nor mechanical, and so the use is extremely limited. seriously in older versions poison was even a weapon special (very cheap) and it wasnt worth to get ;)
MCP

Post by MCP »

Mabuse wrote:
Drakefriend wrote:For example a Necrophage that becomes a Ghast, or the cold attack of Dark Sorcerer-Lich.
ok i see.

well, then adding specials to a non max-level weapon (except shop weapon) should be definately restricted,
Please don't force this. I think it is important to be able to buy rage/slow even when my unit is not fully leveled, as long as I know what I am doing.

I was trying to think of a Warning message to place in the upgrade shop when a unit is not at max level:
"Warning: Your unit is not fully leveled and some of its weapons may disappear or change when it levels up. If an upgraded weapon disappears upon level up, you permanently lose it and all specials purchased for it."

Also, I was thinking of a more powerful poison for a while now, one which damages undead, but it doesn't really work that well. Undead just can't be poisoned and that's the way it is.

Instead, I was going to suggest another ability I thought of a long time ago for only the Warrior and Rogue Warrior class.
The ability to become Mechanical (Lawful/Neutral) or Undead(Chaotic) for 250 gold. WoW2 provides an undead ring which is pretty much required for a berserker unit to be useful.
Also for Lawful, maybe we can make up a name such as Cleansed or something.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

MCP wrote: Please don't force this. I think it is important to be able to buy rage/slow even when my unit is not fully leveled, as long as I know what I am doing.

I was trying to think of a Warning message to place in the upgrade shop when a unit is not at max level:
"Warning: Your unit is not fully leveled and some of its weapons may disappear or change when it levels up. If an upgraded weapon disappears upon level up, you permanently lose it and all specials purchased for it."
Ok.
After all, i consider the warning to be enough.

maybe special restrictions for the wepaons in charge for the GHAST and LICH may be implemented
(there will be restricition message when the weapons are selected for upgrade)

if more SX ERA units become known with changing weapon names, let me know, i will include them in the restriction list then
MCP wrote: Instead, I was going to suggest another ability I thought of a long time ago for only the Warrior and Rogue Warrior class.
The ability to become Mechanical (Lawful/Neutral) or Undead(Chaotic) for 250 gold. WoW2 provides an undead ring which is pretty much required for a berserker unit to be useful.
Also for Lawful, maybe we can make up a name such as Cleansed or something.
hehe, UNDEAD/HOLY as an ability.
sounds interesting

would be only for lawful/chaotic units though
(because i want to force another ability slot to be lost due to fearless then :)

if you want to gain the advantages of a neutral unit you still have to chose an undead hero then

lets see.
MCP

Post by MCP »

Zeus and I are playing Castle Cantar on Expert.
Two Rogue Mages.
I am a Rogue Mage Glider.
Zeus is 2p and a Rogue mage Ghost.

Both working pretty well, although I was actually very weak at the start of the game.

As of turn 64, Zeus is at the shop near the final boss and has 2126 gold. I've never seen so much gold on one person before, but he hasn't shopped since we cleared out the south-east cave. I killed the second to last boss and cleared all that out while he got one of the rings and the +20% income item.

In fact, he finished it on turn 64 in one attack, with three extra blue potions. 64-12 rage/slow cold.

edit: I started a Paladin in Evil Dead on Experienced and I beat the first leader on turn 6. All too easy.
MCP

Post by MCP »

I can't wait to get a game in with JB and Paso. JB invited me to play with them and others, hopefully Mabuse as well, on some pre-arranged Saturday. I can probably get Zeus's interest as well if we need another player.

I hope we can do a 5p game, or 5 Heroes if we don't have 5p. I think there should be some work to balance things.
Either 1p/2p is too easy or 5p is too hard. On turn 6 I can kill the first leader in Evil Dead on experienced(+200g) with a Paladin.
Probably with 5p we would be doing well to beat it before turn 30, but I haven't played a 5p game in a long time.

I think there should be more discussion about this after we've had some time to play 5p more.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

yes, in the next update 1+2 player start MAY be reduced goldwise

1 player: 1800 (-200)
2 player: 1400 per player (-100)
3 player: 1200 per player
4 player: 1000 per player
5 player: 850 per player

nothing is final, at least i think about doing it.
since i think 1/2 player game is a bit too easy.

also in 1/2 player game soulstealer and divine reward have most effect.
in any case the values will get reduced. maybe even for 3 player start.

but no matter how you set it the FIRST leader will always die quickly in 1 player game, since it is simply too weak. in one player game the hero is just as strong (stronger) at start as he would be in 5 players game after some 20 turns.

i think i do a solo testrun on evil dead now. expert 1800 gold
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

BTw, about the game on Saturday -

great idea -
i will surely join.

now my only concern is that i can finish the new map soon -
and i hope i can count on you as a playtesters for the new map :)

in any case the newest version will be uploaded on saturday

looking forward to it - muahaha

so what map are we going to play and someone must post a GMT time :)

i also know my Hero already -
Thunderer (Mage)
or Dwarf Warrior (Warrior)
whatever is nedeed

in case other wanna play these units i may come up with something different.
(alternatively ghoul mage or wose warrior come immediaty to my mind on my to do list - but a MARSHALL will also do in case of doubt)

however, i usually play dwarves, dont ask me why.
MCP

Post by MCP »

Being on the west coast of America, I am on GMT -8 I think (Pacific, PST) time zone. In this case, I can play during the day time and/or evening, if I knew ahead of time of course.
I can tell people to F-OFF, I'm playing some survival.

So if I got it right, earliest I can start is 10am PST is +8 to GMT is 6pm GMT. How does that sound?