SX RPG ADD ON 4.9.10 - now on 1.10.x Server.

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MCP

Re: SX RPG ADD ON - now on 1.10.0 Server.

Post by MCP »

Mabuse, it would be ugly, but you could concatenate the strings into one multiplier and do the math once when they buy the upgrade/weapon.

Concatenation of the names, e.g. instead of separated "Precision" and "Focus" it becomes "Precision_Focus"
Underscore used to highlight concatenation of strings, otherwise I'd use a space. There are probably other problems such as the mouse-over details.

Or an acronym, e.g. "Precision" "Focus" "Slow" is "P.F.S"

Just an idea, because it might be good to have these limits.
Mabuse

Re: SX RPG ADD ON - now on 1.10.0 Server.

Post by Mabuse »

MCP wrote:Mabuse, it would be ugly, but you could concatenate the strings into one multiplier and do the math once when they buy the upgrade/weapon.

Just an idea, because it might be good to have these limits.
well, the limits are ok, i only need to keep them in mind when creating weird monsters ;)
so one damage reducing ability is the maximum.
as well as for the heroes. already limited through the shop.

btw, for hat reason i must unfortuanately also restrict backstab (since it might be combined with charge and then we woud have two damage factors again) ability which gets (as well as drains) replaced with magical special. so backstab and drains get replaced by magical special.
(drains got formerly simply discarded)

try lich now. at least he has magical now on his melee attack.
his default weapons are all around shop level (some are a bit weaker 1-2 damage .. but in the end it doesnt matter since buying shop weapons cost money ;). i made a lich roguewarrior and it looked quite useful.
Last edited by Mabuse on March 23rd, 2012, 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
Mabuse

Re: SX RPG ADD ON 3.9.93h - now on 1.10.0 Server.

Post by Mabuse »

Proud to present the (now really final version of SX before the new map comes out)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
it includes quite some changes which make things seriously more interesting

3.9.93h:
- fixed evil dead map bug (slight bug)
- revive mode: creep strengh increase per player death
reduced by about 20%, so instead of endless reloading
give it a try and stay alive!

- no luck mode: ai checks now for "not yet unluckified"-units every side turn.
this MAY cause slightly longer ai turns if no luck is enabled
but it ensures that all ai units are unluckified.

- on game start area around AI6 and AI7 bosses is unshrouded.
note: not unfogged

- ambush,nightstalk,concealment,submerge abilities get removes on game start
since ai igenores them anyway and so they serve no purpose

- the way blessing works got changed, instead of increasing the damage by 10% on offense
blessing now increases the number of strikes by 15% on offense

- backstab and drain weapon special get replaced with magical on game start

- slight ROGUE buff: strikes -10 gold
- new Class: ROGUE MAGE
- ROGUE CLASS ranmed: ROGUE WARRIOR

- Mages, Clerics and Rogue Mages get only +1 Ability Point
(formerly +2). Due to a miscalculation Magic Users got one
Ability point too much in former Versions.

- rangers and roguemages pay only 20 gold for a red potion
- roguemages have no healing spell

- on Class selection (and level up):
leadership is replaced by fearless
heal+8 is replaced by heal+X
regeneration is replaced by regen*x
dauntless is replaced by "ingame dauntless"
steadfast is replaced by "ingame steadfast"

these abilities dont cost ability slots

- maximum moves to buy are limited to 15
increases the difference between fast and slow units

- if a unit has a replaced ability, this ability is no longer available for buy in abilites menu
- added more units to the SX era (drake flameheart, orcish leader, elvish sylph, dwarvish guard, troll)
- Keys are shown in inventory menu
- keys can be handed over to adjacent allied players
- rename of some abilities
Last edited by Mabuse on March 23rd, 2012, 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

BTW, i just had the idea for a SLIGHT reforge option:

1) it will be an autoreforge, added via an invisible trait
(well, the same that removes unwanted specials ;))

2) effect: all non-shop weapons get a +1 damage bonus
that could put some weapons that are on the edge into the "useful" category
Hex

Post by Hex »

- ambush,nightstalk,concealment,submerge abilities get removes on game start
since ai igenores them anyway and so they serve no purpose
Well if they serve no purpose, then there is no harm in leaving them either. But that isn't true, AI doesn't completely ignore hide skills, but with units all around to witness units go in and out of hiding, it might not be that effective. I don't know all the ins and outs of how AI handles hiding, but I do know it is used sometimes. For us to know when they are used, you need to leave them in/put them back.

Regarding resistances briefly (will come back latter to get into more detail when I have time) you think minus resistances makes you doomed, and 100% resistance in one specific category makes you too powerful or something? What if a unit has both? Look, if you have a weakness, other units can help cover it up if you have cooperation, and if you have a strength, you still have to worry about other units. You could use a reduction of the variety of attacks enemy units have anyway on these maps.

Even if you don't reduce the number of armor slots one can get, I still haven't heard a good case for making minus resistance free of slot use and half price (15 gold), and charge 120 coin for for the last couple 10% to getting a particular resistance to max. I mean I appreciate it because its good to exploit with dodgers, but I still want it changed.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Hex wrote: Well if they serve no purpose, then there is no harm in leaving them either. But that isn't true, AI doesn't completely ignore hide skills, but with units all around to witness units go in and out of hiding, it might not be that effective. I don't know all the ins and outs of how AI handles hiding, but I do know it is used sometimes. For us to know when they are used, you need to leave them in/put them back.
hmm, you are true about that they dont harm.
i just took them out since they cluttered up the display

so there is a chance i put them back in.
Lets usee if anyone really misses them ;)
Hex wrote: Even if you don't reduce the number of armor slots one can get, I still haven't heard a good case for making minus resistance free of slot use and half price (15 gold), and charge 120 coin for for the last couple 10% to getting a particular resistance to max. I mean I appreciate it because its good to exploit with dodgers, but I still want it changed.
ok, i will raise the limit for the 60 gold resistance by 10% (resistances over 80% then)

increasing the costs for negative resists is something i really must calculate over a bit
at best i can take 20 gold for a neg resistance.

in sx having 0 in a category is bad and negative resists mean autodeath.

also, i see the dodge problem (although it is no problem, instead actually im happy that these units are finally useful), but there are tons of units with neg resists that have really bad terrain def.

and furthermore, look at the newer map(s) (wizardofwarII that is) there are a lot of units that ignore enemy defense. and further maps will also contain a lot of units that make dogers life hard ;)

we have 4 categories of units:

- units with natural high resistances and no or very few negative resistances
(like dwarf, riders, marshall etc...). these units are playable. usually not the best defenses

- units with good dodge, but low armor (and some negative resistances)
these units are playable.

- units with low armor but also no significant neg resists, not any special abilities that make them interesting, at least they have solid terrain defenses usually. (= 50 in wood/hill/60 in mountains)
so they can renounce on agility and perhaps save the abilitiy slot for daunt and stead
(these units are usually not in the SX era)

- units with low dodge, some high resistances, but also whopping negative resistances.
if neg resists get more expensive these units would not be worth being played on a high difficulty, since category 1 is so much more attractive
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

ah well, i have an idea for the negative armor.

the really bad areas like lower than 20% cost 15
area -20 to 0 cost 20 gold.

that will overall make negs more expensive, punish the dodgers more since they have in many categories slight disadvantges, and the units with hard weaknessess get away with a blue eye still.
MCP

Post by MCP »

I started a Wose on BEGINNER +800 gold, just for fun.

I got to turn 35 and was going quick for even a dwarf, but then I wasn't paying attention while watching Hockey and got hit by a Fire Dragon, one hit KO. :).

I had 10% fire and Dauntless. Steadfast and more fire resists simply couldn't be purchased yet, so I got burninated.
Hex

Post by Hex »

Mabuse wrote: increasing the costs for negative resists is something i really must calculate over a bit
at best i can take 20 gold for a neg resistance.

What about making it take armor slots? You give people alot of armor slots anyway, more then enough to take care of a few weaknesses.
in sx having 0 in a category is bad
You mean 100% resistance in something? And by bad, you mean makes things too easy for players? How is 100% resistance so much more effective for players then 50% in one and 50% in another? I mean as long as you have a variety of enemies with a variety of attacks.
MCP wrote:I started a Wose
Even on expert I have more then enough gold to take care of such weaknesses, so for you to not do so on beginners is sad.
Mabuse wrote:negative resists mean autodeath.
The idea is to get units to work together to take care of each others weaknesses and strengths, and I don't just mean resistances. If you do that, it is not "autodeath"
but there are tons of units with neg resists that have really bad terrain def.
Name one that doesn't have strong resistances somewhere else or some other nice strength like a good attack, good terrain movement, or something.

- units with low armor but also no significant neg resists, not any special abilities that make them interesting, at least they have solid terrain defenses usually. (= 50 in wood/hill/60 in mountains)
so they can renounce on agility and perhaps save the abilitiy slot for daunt and stead
(these units are usually not in the SX era)
Some examples of such units please.

I would remind you these ideas I mentioned before are meant to be used together, if you incorporate some of the things that make a unit unique, but not others, of course balance remains difficult.

Here is a idea for resistances. You get a fair amount of resistances armor slots (maybe not as much as current), the stamina ability gives more instead of that useless regen. Total number of slots is reduced on units with naturally very high resistance. Negative resistances cost a armor slot, and all resistances increase in price as you buy more, no matter where you put them. Perhaps negative resistance have a set base cost that does not increase or contribute to that increase like others do (but do use armor slots) I don't like that last suggestion myself, but I know how convinced you are that any negative resistances are doom, but you haven't convinced me yet.

Steadfast and dauntless need to be improved, here is my idea:

Instead of them doubling your resistance up to 50%, which means if you have zero resistance or minus resistance, it is useless,(and 20%-30% become the magic numbers for these skills) they give a set amount across the board for your resistances up to 50%, and perhaps more given for steadfast then dauntless since dauntless is more valuable. For example, Steadfast can give a bonus 20% to all your resistances across the board when in defense, up to 20%, even if that resistance be in the negative zone. Dauntless can give a +15% across the board when attacking up to 50%, or perhaps cost more then steadfast.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

@Mabuse: Just wondering, but you seem to use a lot of unit images also available in mainline. Maybe remove those and use the mainline versions? Or is there a special reason for having copies. Just wondering. If not, I'll try to do the removing/image path updating. :)

Oh, and just an idea, have you considered putting SXRPG in the Wesnoth UMC-Dev repository ? http://wesnoth-umc-dev.ai0867.net/index.php
Last edited by vultraz on March 23rd, 2012, 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Hex

Post by Hex »

Mabuse, can I update sxrpg era and still have no problem playing my old save?
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

vultraz wrote:@Mabuse: Just wondering, but you seem to use a lot of unit images also available in mainline. Maybe remove those and use the mainline versions? Or is there a special reason for having copies. Just wondering. If not, I'll try to do the removing/image path updating. :)

Oh, and just an idea, have you considered putting SXRPG in the Wesnoth UMC-Dev repository ? http://wesnoth-umc-dev.ai0867.net/index.php
some of the pictures are resized,
while others simply serve no purpose.
there is also some unused terrain stuff included.

yeas, i might clean up this a bit.
(however, theres no big harm with it anyways.)
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Hex wrote:Mabuse, can I update sxrpg era and still have no problem playing my old save?
unfortuanately not.

btw, the next row of updates is in development:
------------------------------------------------

what you say about the following things:

- armor system adjusted:
slight negatives (-20/-10) cost 20 gold (former: 15 gold)
strong negatives (-30 or worse) cost 10 gold (former: 15 gold)

resistances greater 80 cost 60+ gold (formerly greater 70)

Purpose: punishment for dogers (many small negative resistances) is higher
while other units with high negatives are not as much affected
overall performance is the same, but dodgy units make a slight loss

- all default (non shop) weapons get +1 damage
Purpose: support individuality of units by making some default weapons more useful

- poison gets replaced by magical
Purpose: Make the default poison weapons more useful since
poison is basically meaningless in SX
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Mabuse wrote:
vultraz wrote:@Mabuse: Just wondering, but you seem to use a lot of unit images also available in mainline. Maybe remove those and use the mainline versions? Or is there a special reason for having copies. Just wondering. If not, I'll try to do the removing/image path updating. :)

some of the pictures are resized,
while others simply serve no purpose.
there is also some unused terrain stuff included.

yeas, i might clean up this a bit.
(however, theres no big harm with it anyways.)
ah. ok

BTW, you didn't answer the part about the UMC-Dev repo ;)
Last edited by vultraz on March 23rd, 2012, 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Hex

Post by Hex »

I have a save here where attacks with magical property got "70% damage" below them. Go into the shop and buy magical for the mages dagger attack, ALL those attacks with "70% damage" under them, got a second example of this. I bought slow for the mages arcane attack, ALL those attacks got a third "70% damage" except the dagger which got a second one. Attached picture of this too if you don't feel like loading the save.

BTW, if those "70% damage" tags don't do anything, and just indicate magical, I could see going without them.

Also, my warrior purchased magical for his sword with slow, and lost slow, even though I have the "slow is a free addon" ability.
Attachments
multiplying_70%.gz
(881.32 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
Multiplying 70%.png
Multiplying 70%.png (58.55 KiB) Viewed 3219 times