How did you find out about Wesnoth?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

How did you find out about Wesnoth?

Through a friend
26%
Debian APT or Gentoo Portage
9%
Freshmeat
No votes
Linux Game Tome (happypenguin.org)
7%
SDL home page (libsdl.org)
1%
IceWalkers.com
No votes
MacCentral.com
No votes
Apple.com
3%
Google
13%
Other web site (please specify below)
12%
Through a LUG
No votes
iTunes/iPhone
9%
Other (please specify below)
20%

Total votes: 69

genshihebi

Re: How did you find out about Wesnoth?

Post by genshihebi »

I was looking for other strategy games for Debian (I was playing warzone2100 back then), so I looked at the "similar packages" and saw a package named "wesnoth"
Dannah

Post by Dannah »

found it through stumble upon.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

We might have to add a new option: iTunes link through Wesnoth for iPhone, pretty soon.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Can't you read, there's on there already...

>.>

<.<
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

While this thing is being corrected:

Shouldn't "Debian APT or Gentoo Portage" be made more generic? That way there would be less "other" votes. For instance, I found Wesnoth as an RPM via the Fedora package manager. I suggest the term "Via Linux Distribution" to cover any kind of distro's package manager. Otherwise, everyone who doesn't use Debian or Gentoo will vote "other" when it's basically the same thing. I see a bias in the second- or third- most-popular distro and one of the most popular package types being excluded while very obscure methods that will only get a handful of votes are included (I don't think Freshmeat and SDL had more than a handful of votes before the reset). Besides, the current wording might get some Ubuntu or Debian users to vote "other" out of confusion.

(If not, at least include "RPM" as an option?)

P.S. Two other obvious omissions: Sourceforge and Gna.

I'd also suggest Linux Game Tome be moved above Freshmeat since it's probably going to be one of the most popular options. Here's a proposed rewording/reordering to make the order more logical and the wording more consistent (for instance, using the full url everywhere instead of in some places):
Spoiler:
Hopefully that should get rid of a lot of "Other" votes by clearing up any possible confusion and thus make the poll more useful. (You could even remove a few of the more obscure websites that would probably only get a few votes each.)
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Electronic

Post by Electronic »

I have seen it in Debian APT but have installed actually afted an article in LinuxFormat magazine.
Kymille

Post by Kymille »

I found it on the Mac OS X software page at apple when a new version came out. I think it was 0.8, or else 1.0.
Warmaster4z2

Post by Warmaster4z2 »

I found battle for wesnoth by searching "free pc games " on google and the only reason why i tried it despite the low quality graphics, was because back then i swore that i remembered playing it as a kid. It turns out I had never played battle for wesnoth before but im glad i gave it a shot, its a pretty awesome game.

Now if only my friends would shut up about the graphics and just try it.
uncleshelby

Post by uncleshelby »

LOW QUALITY GRAPHICS??? :| Dude. The graphics in this game are some of the highest quality you can find in open source games. Pixel art is a very hard style of art, and people spend hours on end drawing for this game. I'm sure there will be some real artists to tell you off.
Timshel
alexanderthegre

Post by alexanderthegre »

Warmaster4z2 wrote:I found battle for wesnoth by searching "free pc games " on google and the only reason why i tried it despite the low quality graphics, was because back then i swore that i remembered playing it as a kid. It turns out I had never played battle for wesnoth before but im glad i gave it a shot, its a pretty awesome game.

Now if only my friends would shut up about the graphics and just try it.
Honestly. Try drawing a sprite. You'd be amazed at how bad at it you are.

:shock: Thread necromancy :shock:
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

uncleshelby wrote:LOW QUALITY GRAPHICS??? :| Dude. The graphics in this game are some of the highest quality you can find in open source games.
There is something incredibly funny in this sentence
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

The fact that it's nearly as insulting as the statement it replies to?
Gwynnedrion

Post by Gwynnedrion »

I first learned of Wesnoth when using Linux 8.04 a couple of years back. I was looking for a decent RPG and ended up here. A lot has changed since then (1.4 version if I remember correctly). From then on, I followed the forums, always got the latest version on my dad's windows and kept on playing add-ons and campaigns. I'm not that good of a player, but I love the game.
”Rise, adept, and tell me about the enemy.”

You are a Horseman: you charge ahead without thinking of the consequences.(80%)
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

I found Wesnoth on some waaaaaay outdated website (the name of which I do not remember) that hosted free games for OS X. IIRC the version I downloaded was pre-1.x, although v1.4/1.5 were available at that time on http://www.wesnoth.org (the older package presented a more appealing download size though, so that's what I played for the first three months :P ).
Regarding the "Low-Quality" Graphics:
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
uncleshelby

Post by uncleshelby »

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but it seems like 80% of the free games I've played have very incomplete graphics sets, and Wesnoth is just much more complete. OK, you can stop listening to me now.
Timshel