What does 9/11 mean to you?

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Great_Mage_Atari

Re: What does 9/11 mean to you?

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

I'd start on the 3rd page, if your as serious as I am. That's where the hecticity started.
mystic x the unknown

Post by mystic x the unknown »

In the intended spirit of the thread, here is a thread where people share their stories of what they were doing when they heard of the attacks and how it impacted them. (some also express their opinion on who caused it)
Last edited by mystic x the unknown on September 19th, 2011, 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
you are not gonna make it
johndh

Post by johndh »

Ron Paul explains the reasons for 9/11:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taqzzLRQ9wc
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

a restaurant on top of the trade center was destroyed.
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Classy and necromantic. Nice 8)
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

One of the most dangerous american idiosyncracies, probably us coming down off the legitimate self-righteous high we got from kicking the nazis' ass, is that we believe we're ordained to fight some bogeyman group of "bad guys" who need to get wiped out via some massive, international military effort. We are a hammer, and we've decided every international problem is a nail - to hell with the consequences. :(
Great_Mage_Atari wrote:What. The. Hell. Ignoring them isn't the best solution. That's considered allowing terrorism to reign in the world without consequences. Killing innocent civilians and many others around the world is not something that goes unnoticed. That's politically and morally incorrect. If we ignored them after 9/11, who knows what hell would've been unleashed upon the world?
Not much. They don't have the power to actually threaten to wipe out the US - they have the power to hurt us, but not to destroy us. If they nuked new york... new york, like hiroshima, would rebuild. They're not going to send armies of soldiers to conquer the free world - they don't have any. Their only hope - and the very thing they're suckering us into, is to piss us off enough that we do something stupid, and hurt ourselves - primarily by tricking us into making people around the world hate us, which is easy to do when we're killing their family members every day (like we do in afghanistan). If we're stupid enough to overreact, that's what will kill us. For example, retaliating against a terrorist nuke by launching our nuclear arsenal against whatever country they seemed to come from, and starting WWIII in the process.

I'm not making this up - Bin Laden explicitly hoped to cause WWIII; it's been explicitly stated by him and noted on US news channels. God forbid if we'd been dumb enough to nuke near pakistan or india - both of which could fire big-time "end-of-the-world" nukes back at us.

Collectively, we've behaved like a fool who - in the heat of anger and outrage at a hornet sting, proceeds to stomp on the nest. Great plan, [censored]. :|
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
johndh

Post by johndh »

Jetrel wrote:If we're stupid enough to overreact, that's what will kill us.
And boy howdy, how we have overreacted. :|
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.
Boldek

Post by Boldek »

*peeks in* I probably am not welcome here, but I am hopelessly urged to write. sorry, any mod thinks I am a danger to the public can delete this or ban me after what I sparked off.
Jetrel wrote: If we're stupid enough to overreact, that's what will kill us. For example, retaliating against a terrorist nuke by launching our nuclear arsenal against whatever country they seemed to come from, and starting WWIII in the process.

I'm not making this up - Bin Laden explicitly hoped to cause WWIII; it's been explicitly stated by him and noted on US news channels. God forbid if we'd been dumb enough to nuke near pakistan or india - both of which could fire big-time "end-of-the-world" nukes back at us.
that's what I was attempting to explain in my earlier visits, Osama hit the trade centers in an attempt to shatter the stock market and infuriate us.
however, calling America [censored] and saying it's plan to thwart future attacks as stupid I think is a little overreacting.
Hussein did have something strange going on, and after all, he was a cruel tyrant. I think some of the best proof is that the way he reacted to investigations would show his true intentions. I would like to repeat the the terrorists like to inspire terror, and attacking big cities freaks people out. to say we should ignore them is like saying we should ignore all serial killers because they only kill one person at a time. now Osama and Hussein, and other leaders are dead, Iraq is now more stable than it was, the people are happier, and there hasn't been anymore airplanes or bombings. was it all in vain? would closing our eyes have been the right thing?
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline ... senal.html

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline ... ctors.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq_and_w ... estruction

guys: please pm me if you feel a want to respond to my post. I don't feel like starting another heated discussion I am not here to stir things up, and I don't care if you threaten to boil me in tar, I am not going to respond on this thread. I just posted because I think the word [censored]holes shouldn't be used anywhere, and not against someone who was trying to protect you.

I remember looking out a window thinking what a beautiful day it was, just looking at the trees outside my window, when someone shouts about the towers. to me, the towers were just buildings, I didn't have anyone loved or dear on them, but it was still traumatizing and shocking. it really shook up the way people thought to this day, I can still remember the way the light bounced off those leaves. (edit: But then I couldn't have been much more than a toddler, so now I think that was probably a figment of my imagination)
Last edited by Boldek on February 10th, 2012, 5:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Guys I never thought I'd come back to this forum after 8 years this is wild
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

to say we should ignore them is like saying we should ignore all serial killers because they only kill one person at a time.
So, when you find out that a serial killer may be hiding in, say, Boulder, Colorado, the right thing to do would be to lock the city down with military force, treat every inhabitant as a potential accomplice, raid and ransack houses at dawn or just bomb them to the ground on flimsiest information?

The terrorists should be treated pretty much as serial killers, as a potential threat to individual people but not as a threat to any country or their political system. We should deny them any political credibility they are seeking. Just by themselves, the only thing they can accomplish is to kill a bunch of people and cause property damage, and that can not be prevented. Everything else has been given them on a silver platter. bin Laden wanted Americans to become raving islamophobes. He wanted US and other Western countries to invade Islamic countries. He wanted to be gunned down by US soldiers so that he would become a proper martyr (at least, he would have preferred that to dying silently on busted kidneys far away from the media limelights).
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

This post pretty much nails it - just absolutely right.

We should treat islamist terrorists exactly like we treat homegrown american terrorists - like the guy who blew up that IRS building and killed a few hundred people. Take down those responsible, but only those - don't hurt other innocent people. Just treat them as common serial killers.
Sgt. Groovy wrote:
to say we should ignore them is like saying we should ignore all serial killers because they only kill one person at a time.
So, when you find out that a serial killer may be hiding in, say, Boulder, Colorado, the right thing to do would be to lock the city down with military force, treat every inhabitant as a potential accomplice, raid and ransack houses at dawn or just bomb them to the ground on flimsiest information?

The terrorists should be treated pretty much as serial killers, as a potential threat to individual people but not as a threat to any country or their political system. We should deny them any political credibility they are seeking. Just by themselves, the only thing they can accomplish is to kill a bunch of people and cause property damage, and that can not be prevented. Everything else has been given them on a silver platter. bin Laden wanted Americans to become raving islamophobes. He wanted US and other Western countries to invade Islamic countries. He wanted to be gunned down by US soldiers so that he would become a proper martyr (at least, he would have preferred that to dying silently on busted kidneys far away from the media limelights).
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

The day that Salvador Allende an elected Democrate was removed by some criminals.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Raket

Post by Raket »

9/11 happens every day in countries such as Afghanistan, Iraq and Palestine by U.S. and Israeli forces.
Boohoo, you lost 3000 civilians while your military has so far slaughtered millions of innocent people in foreign nations, yet the world ignores that.

9/11 means nothing to me. Besides, the "official" story has been debunked to oblivion, it was an inside job.
I am Arabic by the way, and I find it sad how many Americans buy into the whole mainstream media propaganda depicting us in a very bad way.

I have no problem with America, I think it's a great nation, but your government is very corrupt and evil in regards to what it does in foreign countries and even to its own citizens (SOPA, NDAA, etc). Your constitution is being stepped upon and I bet your founding fathers would be rolling in their graves by now.
America is starting to look very Orwellian.
lipk

Post by lipk »

you lost 3000 civilians
your military
You? Your? How the hell are you talking to?
yet the world ignores that.
but your government is very corrupt and evil
how many Americans buy into the whole mainstream media propaganda
But you're not influenced by any kind of propaganda, are you?

EDIT: ah, well, and...
Spoiler:
Great_Mage_Atari

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

Raket wrote:Boohoo, you lost 3000 civilians
Now that's just a terrible thing to say. To anybody anywhere...
Raket wrote:9/11 means nothing to me.
Then why post here?
Raket wrote:Besides, the "official" story has been debunked to oblivion, it was an inside job.
And you know this how?
Raket wrote:I am Arabic by the way, and I find it sad how many Americans buy into the whole mainstream media propaganda depicting us in a very bad way.
Not all Americans view Arabs in a bad way. We just don't like the ones who try to kill others for no reason(I am not stereotypical). Most of us don't hate any race, but there are bad people in every race that we learn to have a distaste for.
Raket wrote:but your government is very corrupt and evil in regards to what it does in foreign countries and even to its own citizens (SOPA, NDAA, etc)
Our government seems pretty good to me, compared to some other countries. It isn't perfect by any means, but we don't have a power-hungry dictator/ insane madman running it either (not pointing fingers at anyone, just making a point). To be honest, I don't see how we're "evil" per say. Freedom seems like the most un-evil thing ever. It's not like they're water-boarding ordinary people 24/7.
Raket wrote:America is starting to look very Orwellian.
I find that just hilarious.
Raket

Post by Raket »

Great_Mage_Atari wrote:Now that's just a terrible thing to say. To anybody anywhere...
I think you misunderstood me, I wasn't laughing at death of innocent people,
I was laughing at the fact that the attacks on 9/11 were hyped up while things like that happened all the time in other places,
but now just because it's America everyone needs to know and weep about it.

I condemn the killing of innocent people no matter where you're from,
but to act like 9/11 was the worst and forgetting everything else is really laughable.
America has dropped white phosphor bombs (illegal) on innocent Iraqi civilians,
and tortured and maimed innocent people "suspected" of terrorism.
Let's go back in history, and they have carelessly napalmed Vietnamese villages and farmers.

Instead of reminding the horrible attacks on 9/11, let's remember when America
dropped a nuclear bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki thereby not only killing 200,000 innocent normal people like you and me,
it left an entire new generation with scars and mutations.
Then why post here?
The author asked a question, I answered.
This is a forum, we exchange our opinions.
And you know this how?
http://www.axiomatica.org/revealing-the ... inside-job

I don't have the time to write everything down, so instead I'll give you a link I quickly found through Google.
Try to refute any of these.

9/11 was a staged false-flag attack in order to scare the American public for a boogeyman,
and to justify the invasion of foreign countries and stealing their natural resources such as oil.
It also justified having them made new laws that would restrict your freedom in turn for "protection".

The whole "they hate our freedom" is ridiculous too,
the government did everything to surpress the truth,
it was infact about U.S. foreign policy towards Israel.
I find that just hilarious.
Do you know about SOPA, NDAA, and the Patriot Act?
I'm not even American and I know your country is going down the drain.
I find it hilarious how you think America isn't run by power-tripping madmen in dark suits.

Why do you think there are so many protests and movements going on?
Do you think the Oakland riots and Occupy protests are just for fun and giggles?
Many Americans are standing up against corporate and government corruption.

Sorry for going a bit off-topic here, so I'll discontinue.