Inky's Quest - The Cuttlefish Campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Telchin

Re: Inky's Quest - The Cuttlefish Campaign

Post by Telchin »

Rise up thread! After Inky's Quest for 1.8 branch got more than 6500 downloads (about 65 times more than I expected), I present version for 1.10 branch! The gameplay and story is same as in the last version, but the campaign now uses the new color variations of water avaible in the new branch. If you find some bugs or typos or have some ideas or complaints to share, post it in this thread.
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

Wow what a fun little campaign! I played it on Easy and it was. The hints were useful.
I've attached some diffs to fix spelling and minor grammatical issues in the dialogue.

In 03_Inky_Goes_Fishing each time they kill a merman the word "cought" pops up with a count but it should be "caught". I fixed it in the dialogues but couldn't find where that was in the WML code.

Also, a number of warning and error messages appeared in my xsession log, but i dont know in which scenario:
warning ai/general: At difficulty level EASY, trying to recruit a:archer but no unit of that type (usage=) is available. Check the recruit and [ai] recruitment_pattern keys for team 'Island Guardian' (3) against the usage key of the units in question! Removing invalid recruitment_pattern entry and continuing...
error audio: Could not load sound file 'wolf-bite.ogg'.
error audio: Could not load sound file 'wolf-bite-miss.ogg'.
warning ai/general: At difficulty level EASY, trying to recruit a:mixed fighter but no unit of that type (usage=) is available. Check the recruit and [ai] recruitment_pattern keys for team 'Lich-Lord Ravyan' (2) against the usage key of the units in question! Removing invalid recruitment_pattern entry and continuing...
error engine: Trying to recall unit failed!
error display: could not open image 'units/tentacles/eldritch-tentacle.png'
(duplicates removed)

Is there supposed to be a sound when a unit picks up a pile of gold?
Attachments
01_A_Water_Struggle.cfg.diff
(5.66 KiB) Downloaded 290 times
02_A_Mussel_in_Distress.cfg.diff
(3.74 KiB) Downloaded 291 times
03_Inky_Goes_Fishing.cfg.diff
(5.58 KiB) Downloaded 305 times
04_The Haunted_Ford.cfg.diff
(6.82 KiB) Downloaded 291 times
05_The_Divining_Pool.cfg.diff
(4.88 KiB) Downloaded 314 times
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

Here are the rest of the spelling diffs (it won't let me attach more than 5 at once). There are one or two where i suggest a semantic change but i don't think it affects the game.
Attachments
06_Old_Lich_and_Sea.cfg.diff
(6.73 KiB) Downloaded 291 times
07_Drowned_Dwarves_Day.cfg.diff
(5.79 KiB) Downloaded 315 times
08_High_Risk_Low_Tide.cfg.diff
(5.18 KiB) Downloaded 281 times
09_Epilogue.cfg.diff
(2.24 KiB) Downloaded 294 times
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

Thanks for feedback. I'll look at it and try to fix it. It might take some time though.
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

I was faster than I expected. New version (1.0.1) with most of the typos fixed should be on the server.
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

After replaying it after some time at 1.10: It only gets better! Make it the next mailine campaign! :D
After far too long an absence, I have returned.
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

Make it the next mailine campaign!
Thanks for praise, but I don't think that talking squids and tropical islands near Wesnoth coast would mash well with mainline lore. :lol2: Seriously speaking I didn't aim for mainline quality (as it's my first campaign) and I'm sure there are better UMC out there. I appreciate ideas how to get close though.
cordeirooo

Post by cordeirooo »

Man, I'm playing your campaign and, seriously, IT'S TON OF FUN!

The Lich Lord is unique and his ghost minion is also quite nice.
You should make more Campaigns (or expand this one, Inky is very cool); but that is just a suggestion from a fan.

Cheers.
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

Something in the Onyx Egg cave scenario story puzzled me:
Spoiler:
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

@tr0ll - No, the mermen are supposed to fight you. The purpose of this easter egg is that you get lots of XP for almost free as they are level 3 units, but have low health, so you can kill them in a single turn if you're lucky. It was meant as a parody of "free the mermen" scenarios from HttT and UtBS - Konrad and Kaleh might view captured mermen as allies, Inky views them as snack! Compare one scenario from SotBE, where the orcs find holy water, but instead of using it against undead they drink it :lol2:

@cordeirooo - I'd like to make some more campaigns in the fuutre, but so far I don't have neither ideas nor time, so it's not going to happen anytime soon.
cordeirooo

Post by cordeirooo »

Which campaign is SotBE? I really interested me.
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

Which campaign is SotBE?
Son of the Black Eye, the mainline orcish campaign. I didn't get far in it though.
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

Telchin wrote:@tr0ll - No, the mermen are supposed to fight you. The purpose of this easter egg is that you get lots of XP for almost free as they are level 3 units, but have low health, so you can kill them in a single turn if you're lucky. It was meant as a parody of "free the mermen" scenarios from HttT and UtBS - Konrad and Kaleh might view captured mermen as allies, Inky views them as snack! Compare one scenario from SotBE, where the orcs find holy water, but instead of using it against undead they drink it :lol2:
ahaha of course! maybe you can sneak that in earlier in the campaign cuz i didnt really need any more level 3 units by that scenario, at least when playing easy. also the enemy was pouring in right behind so there wasnt time to exploit it much.
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

@tr0ll - The problem with putting this easter egg earlier is that this scenario is the only one in the campaign that uses shroud and if they were visible from the beggining of a scenario it wouldn't have been an easter egg.
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

New version (1.1.0) that tries a new feature: if you advance Inky to Kraken, he can advance to level 4 Trench Kraken (yes there are too many instances of word "trench" in my campaign, but hey, it's about deepo sea monsters). Note it works for Inky only (he's your leader and starts with intelligent trait to make his leveling easier) and only for Kraken line (I was too lazy to make three different unit types that could be used by a single unit only). What do you think about this feature? Are there any bugs? Should I recolor Master Sea Head to match the new Trench Kraken? Do you any other ides you think I should implement?