Semi historical faction

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mauricepiesligeros

Semi historical faction

Post by mauricepiesligeros »

Hi all!

Well, I'm creating a new faction. My intention is that this is useful to represent, in a general and semi historical way, the typical European medieval kingdoms. This can be a useful supplement to the factions "Kalifa" and "Vaeringjar." I am a beginner, so I'm going to create units by copying and modifying some existing ones. If you want to give any advice, opinion, or suggestions will be welcome. For now I need a name for my faction ....
arbol.png
Boldek

Re: Semi historical faction

Post by Boldek »

For frankies, they look pretty good!
Guys I never thought I'd come back to this forum after 8 years this is wild
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Boldek wrote:For frankies, they look pretty good!
True.
mauricepiesligeros wrote:For now I need a name for my faction ....
I used to do a lot of brainstorming for faction and unit names around here. I don't have as much time as I used to, but I'll see if I can come up with something.
alexanderthegre

Post by alexanderthegre »

I really suck at naming factions....
But maybe "knights" or "crusaders"? :hmm:
It seems similar in flavor to Loyalists; what differentiates them?
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

A working name for the faction could be "Feudal Levy." A more permanent name could be given to them once we have a clearer idea of the era they'll be placed in. Naming the faction is a little more difficult when all you have to go on is that they're supposed to be more historically-based!

As Alexander the Great said, what distinguishes them?
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Temuchin Khan wrote:A more permanent name could be given to them once we have a clearer idea of the era they'll be placed in. Naming the faction is a little more difficult when all you have to go on is that they're supposed to be more historically-based!
One idea would be to call them the Logrians, given that "Logres" was another name for England in the Legends of King Arthur.
mauricepiesligeros

Well friends, thanks for your comments.

"Crusaders" is a name I had thought, but I admit that "Logrians" I like it. Thanks for that idea!

Okay, go with the approach. The idea is to create an army that has a strategic and tactical approach closer to the medieval historical reality (roughly, without forgetting that this is a fantasy game). That is, requiring the player to maintain specific guidelines. The army is clearly divided into nobles and vassals. The idea is so, nobles, knights on foot and mounted knights, are impetuous and very aggressive. They are thrown into battle without much thought. They rely on the strength of its charge to break the enemy, but if they fail, they are completely sold... They shall die. They are extremely effective in the attack but very poor on defense. They can not win the battle themselves. The rest of the army units are mediocre, but cheap. They can not win the battle ... but may be useful to defend the knights. Basically this is the idea.

As I said, I'm a beginner, so I can not say exactly In which era should be located. I have several ideas to create scenarios (also I'm working on that), the Crusades, the Spanish conquest, the Saxons and Normans, Robin Hood, The Hundred Years War, William Wallace, perhaps the King Arthur ... as I mentioned, I think it may go well with "Kalifathe" and "Vaeringjar" (I guess for this I need permission from the authors of these factions), but this is only the beginning. If I get to do this correctly, and if the community believes it is interesting, I could create some additional faction. If there are suggestions in this regard it is good (remember that it took me a while).

PD: Forgive me if my language is not correct, I do not speak English, and depend on translators.
alluton

Post by alluton »

Well then you got good translator atleast.
I like your scenario ideas aswell.
"This game cured me of my real life addiction."
-Flameslash
Gwynnedrion

Post by Gwynnedrion »

Well, the frankies are very nicely done imo. As for a name, Logrians doesn't sound bad. Care if post some ideas of my own? A feudal society consisting of knights and peasants, heavily reliant on mass peasantry and chivalry knights would sound to me like the French army around the 12th and 13th century. Perhaps something like the Bretons? (Google/Wikipedia 'Bertrand Du Guesclin'). He was a famous Breton peasant who became knighted. The only one using french units and apply other tactics that weren't honorable (maybe a campaign idea)?

If you want, I'd like to help on working out the history or unit descriptions. Also, if English isn't your native language, what is it then?
”Rise, adept, and tell me about the enemy.”

You are a Horseman: you charge ahead without thinking of the consequences.(80%)
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Gwynnedrion wrote:Well, the frankies are very nicely done imo. As for a name, Logrians doesn't sound bad. Care if post some ideas of my own? A feudal society consisting of knights and peasants, heavily reliant on mass peasantry and chivalry knights would sound to me like the French army around the 12th and 13th century. Perhaps something like the Bretons? (Google/Wikipedia 'Bertrand Du Guesclin'). He was a famous Breton peasant who became knighted. The only one using french units and apply other tactics that weren't honorable (maybe a campaign idea)?

If you want, I'd like to help on working out the history or unit descriptions. Also, if English isn't your native language, what is it then?
Bretons? In that case, "Armoricans" could be a name for the faction, too.
Gwynnedrion

Post by Gwynnedrion »

Perhaps, but it does sound a lot like Americans. Also, considering the fact that these are medieval units, perhaps a mace unit would be nice to add to the era. Anyway, I'm going to follow this and see how it goes. Has, in my opinion, a lot of potential.

Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Gwynnedrion wrote:Perhaps, but it does sound a lot like Americans.
True, but it is a genuinely ancient word.
Gwynnedrion

Post by Gwynnedrion »

Hmm, thinking of Aquitania (Gascogne) and their fame for riders and crossbowmen. The era seems french medieval to me. The OP should respond one of these days I hope. We could just name them Franks?

mauricepiesligeros

Hi all.

Well, "armoricans" not a bad idea. I think "logrians" sounds better, but it is good to have several ideas. I think it's good if we choose among all of us. I also liked the story of 'Bertrand Du Guesclin. "This can be a great idea to develop an era, campaign, or to add to the ideas for scenarios.

This reminds me that I found this browsing the forums:
Франция.png
Франция.png (53.17 KiB) Viewed 5646 times
Англия.png
Англия.png (43.65 KiB) Viewed 5646 times
Unfortunately I do not remember which thread I found ... know something about it?

My native language is Spanish. Also Basque, but I do not think there are many Basque speakers in the forum ... I appreciate the help with descriptions, but wait a bit for me to have something to test, and thus, we can define the concepts.

Mace unit can also be a great idea, perhaps doubling the option for the nobles from the second level, and given the option to hold the sword (cutting damage) or mace (impact damage). Or maybe it's better to create a new unit?

It's time the good and bad news. The good news is that I have begun to define more clearly the concepts for each unit, and also to work in the archives for the units, maybe soon we can have a beta for a first evaluation (depending on how long I can spend I). The bad news is that there are errors in the shades of magenta. Some of my franks appear in the game with pink zones .... :whistle: ...I should repaint them all ... :doh:
Gwynnedrion

Post by Gwynnedrion »

Those units you have there look perfect I think. You can always ask for help on the art board if you got some questions. I'm not that good with sprites myself unfortunatly. Perhaps Navarrians? Seeing you are from Basque I was thinking about Navarra. The kingdom of Navarra, if I remember, used to be at war with France in the Hundred Year War. Charles of Navarra supported the English against Philippe of Valois?