Allied AI's

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Pewskeepski

Re: Allied AI's

Post by Pewskeepski »

beetlenaut wrote:I didn't know that Maiklas changed scenarios to win, and of course you shouldn't have to.
He didn't change the scenarios, only the config file so it sets recruitment_ignore_bad_combat & movement to "yes" by default. The way it normally is, ai teams only recruit the best units they can instead of using their full recruit lists.
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
AlexanderK

Post by AlexanderK »

mortimer wrote:I am sick and tired of losing campaign scenarios when I'm on the verge of crushing my enemies because some mission critical, allied, AI leader gives up the ghost. I dread having an AI ally because keeping it alive makes a scenario much harder. Also, proliferation of AI allies (they occur in almost every campaign, often more than once) has destroyed any charm they might have as a plot device. So, I make a request of campaign designers and maintainers: please either make AI allies strong enough to hold their own, give me control of their side, or make survival of an allied leader a bonus objective ...
Well, you can take control of allied ai by yourself. Press Alt-S to count which side is your allied ai, than press : and type droid side, where side is number of your allied ai player, than it will be controlled by you. Although it will make your job much easier and might be considered as cheating, however maybe there will be one day when ai will play as tough as experienced human player.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

AlexanderK wrote:Although it will make your job much easier and might be considered as cheating, however maybe there will be one day when ai will play as tough as experienced human player.
I, for one, welcome our new Allied AI Overlords.

On a more serious note, I don't think players should be required to use the AI Controller to win mainline campaigns due to the guiding KISS principle of Wesnoth gameplay. It would be far better if the scenario was tweaked using FormulaAI, LuaAI, or even WML tricks to ensure that the ally doesn't prevent players from finding a way to (likely) win. (I'm just speaking in general, not picking on Sisal here)
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
AlexanderK

Post by AlexanderK »

Sapient wrote:I don't think players should be required to use the AI Controller to win mainline campaigns due to the guiding KISS principle of Wesnoth gameplay. It would be far better if the scenario was tweaked using FormulaAI, LuaAI, or even WML tricks to ensure that the ally doesn't prevent players from finding a way to (likely) win. (I'm just speaking in general, not picking on Sisal here)
I do agree with that AI must help player or at least not to make players life hard. I remember in earlier Legend of Wesmire campaign ai guy was so brave that he suicided fighting with orcs insead of retreating or standing still in his castle. and sometimes you need more complicated commands rather than "Please move here" or "defensive/offensive" something like "please move your shaman to x,y cuz I wanna get double heal for that heavily injured guy".
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

IIRC and unless it has changed, double heal never happens. Try it sometime.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
AlexanderK

Post by AlexanderK »

Dixie wrote:IIRC and unless it has changed, double heal never happens. Try it sometime.
What do you want to say? if your unit standing on village or near your healer and not poisoned it will receive healing from it and if there is a healer form another side it will be healed by it at the beginning of that side's turn. It is common tactic for playing survival maps such as Orocia.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Oh sorry, I misunderstood, I thought you meant two healer from the same side (or village + healer from your side).
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth