[mainline] Weaken the OP LT

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: [mainline] Weaken the OP LT

Post by Pentarctagon »

Balance decisions should never be made based on Isar's Cross, since the map itself is unbalanced.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
AlexanderK

Post by AlexanderK »

oh, really? I think it is the most played map on the server and if it's unbalanced I want to know why do you say so. In my opinion Isar Cross is well-balanced map, except maybe time of the day of red player, but it is common thing among other maps too.
soul_steven

Post by soul_steven »

To kind of ping pong of pentarctagon's comment without having to go in a long rant on isars cross I want to mention that you can't even talk balance just for one map even if that map is balanced. An example is UD are really really powerful on salestone delta against drakes since the size however on other maps like Sullas I feel drakes have the advantage since they can outmaneuver the opponent with there mp. In short I started this thread with the idea to start talking 6 mp LT to see where peoples thoughts were on it then eventually move forward to a larger issue which is all 6 mp leaders.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

AlexanderK wrote:oh, really? I think it is the most played map on the server and if it's unbalanced I want to know why do you say so. In my opinion Isar Cross is well-balanced map, except maybe time of the day of red player, but it is common thing among other maps too.
Off-topic, so I'll make this short:
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
AlexanderK

Post by AlexanderK »

I think topic starter should provide replays. I still can't get it where is LT overpowered.
csarmi

Post by csarmi »

watch any high level games on ladder (with loy+lt) and you'll see why
AlexanderK

Post by AlexanderK »

Pentarctagon wrote:Balance decisions should never be made based on Isar's Cross, since the map itself is unbalanced.
Spoiler:
Well, I found something:
Orc vs Loyalists (Loyalists loss)
http://wesnoth.gamingladder.info/gamede ... %3A40%3A13

and this one:
Knalgan vs Loyalists (Loyalists win, however this guy even didn't use leadership ability or use Lt in battle)
http://wesnoth.gamingladder.info/gamede ... %3A28%3A53

maybe this one?:
Orcs vs Loyalists (maybe this one is good one)
http://wesnoth.gamingladder.info/gamede ... %3A37%3A20

Now, I think I got it, Lt gives his leadership ability to neighbor units and still has enough moves to get back/forward to a castle to recruit. I do agree that is unfair advantage on small maps or maps with castles all over the map.

But it would be nice to see 2 vs 2 replays too, not only 1 vs 1 ladder duels.
soul_steven

Post by soul_steven »

Funny the last one was the one I was going to show you:) Another good one i have is here.. this is just one example of getting to recruit/leadership all at same time you can see how easy I used it. Im sure other guys have some replays they could help link for me for evidence perhaps ones pertaining to marksman against orcs or something? In this game im posting if i didn't have LT i would have had to play way different you can see here a prime example of just how powerful this guy is.
Attachments
20111202220532_Shagal_vs_DrakeKing_wesnoth-ladder.gz
(18.28 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
AlexanderK

Post by AlexanderK »

But in this replay red player is not lost, he just didn't want to continue to play. I think the problem is in the map "Howling Ghost Badlands", how about other maps and 2x2 replays?
soul_steven

Post by soul_steven »

what does winning or losing have anything to do with the leader usage? it was a clear result imo. Anyways I will find some replays later this week and hopefully others are looking for them as well to support this.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

The lieutenant unit is balanced as it is. Although he has 6 MP, leadership and considerable attacks, he has one major disadvantage - his HP. The low HP guarantees the lieutenant's death to two horsemen (one horseman, during the day, if you're lucky).
I once proposed a stats change for the unit-line, but later decided to make a custom one for my campaigns.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
csarmi

Post by csarmi »

yea sure

first of all, loyals seldom play vs loyals (mirror matches are rare, most players dislike it)

second, having lower hp (which certainly not low enough just to die easily) does not compensate for a movement radius so high and area of effect even higher

you must understand how important that is
AlexanderK

Post by AlexanderK »

soul_steven wrote:what does winning or losing have anything to do with the leader usage?.
Of course, It does. Here is why: If we take let's say 50 replays with loy+lt vs any_other_faction and 50 replays loy(without lt) vs any_other_faction with players
with equal skills, if number of victories is about the same so we can conclude lt is balanced for 1 vs 1 and if the difference is huge - unbalanced.
soul_steven

Post by soul_steven »

either way if someone concedes it counts as a victory you don't have to kill the leader for it to count as a win at least imo. As for on track with this I have asked top guys to link some replays to me when they see a good example of LT or other 6 mp leaders in action who are op so we should get some replays soon.
ZhuQ

Post by ZhuQ »

Eh.. Im mostly neutral on this issue but I would think that while 6 movement IS a massive bonus, low hp and weak damage output could easily make up for it... :hmm: Also, I have played many a game where the LT has been assassinated while using leadership because of his low hp/players inability to defend.

Just my thoughts.