1.12 SP Campaign, Fate of a Princess (& Northern Forces)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SkyOne

Re: 1.8 SP Campaign, Fate of a Princess

Post by SkyOne »

perseo wrote:Okay, you were so kind with my critics and I can't resist to do a proper comentary of the campaign.
Thank you.:)
Those were not critics. They were a great feedback for me, and this one, too.
perseo wrote:One thing: Where is the branch? Maybe I jump over it without taking care but i don't really know.
There are three scenarios that is possible to make players go to a different scenario. Only one scenario each though.

The scenario 3, Northern Ways:
- Players are possible to go "3b Traveling North" and "4 A Man, an Elf, and a Diary" If they go to 3b, the next will be scenario 4. "How they go" is a secret, but the hint is hidden on this thread, in the first page. And the most players go to "3b Traveling North", I think.:wink: It tells how the unicorn, Täkel, comes from.

The scenario 5, In the Wild:
- On the cave-entrance, players can choose to stay on the scenario or to get into a cave-sceanrio. They may find a weapon in the cave. Either staying the scenario and going to the cave one, players go to the scenario 6, Capturing Dorest, after that.

The scenario 22, Dragon Cave:
- When a Fire Dragon shows, there is player's choice. Players cannot miss this action.
The scenario 22b, "The Battle at Prestim" is just a bonus scenario (as battling with a Fire Dragon and all human units). Players are able to get more golds if they go to it. After that, they will go to the scenario 23, Zluld's Last Stand.
perseo wrote:You also have to be more careful with die and last breath events, sometimes you use die event and the character say something and it looks kinda strange (he isn't here now. is he?).
Yeah, I recognized some of them lately, and fixed. I thought I had fixed them all after Elvish_Hunter noticed, but still some left and I think more... Basically, as long as the portrait shows and the speech is a few, I prefer die [event] more than last breath because it makes me feel beating the enemies more. But the wmllint seems to care about it... Thanks anyway.
perseo wrote:other thing you can change is in the scenario 20 with the icy monsters, it sound somekind gruf when after killing all the yetis (ye, I wanted MORE and MORE xp) ameck says "I hope they can rest now" or something like that. Maybe you can prevent this case with a [if] or something like that.
Oooh, that is a real bug. You captured Yeti's village(s), right? Definitely, it should be fixed.
I haven't tested on that way (and so are the most of players, I think) although I played this one many times.
Thank you so much. You must be a good player.:)
perseo wrote:The lat scenario maybe can be 2 scenarios. I don't know, the first of them for finding your way through the mace and the second a battle with some history.
Possibly...
The campaign idea, including the story-idea, suddenly flashes into my head when I am relaxing. So I don't think anything comes up next few days because I am busy for updating. It is similar to creating music.:)
Anyway, I keep it in my mind. Thank you.
perseo wrote:I though gunder was also a semi-elf or I got lost through the dialog?
Yes, he is.
So on the last scenario, the battle is a half elf V.S. a half elf. They are more powerful than any regular elves as my set-up (maybe, it is common, isn't it?). On the scenario 4, A Man, an Elf, and a Diary, there is an Elvish Druid, named Fioniel, whom Baldres wants to get. She is Gulder's mother. Gulcyn the Wizard gets marry her after Baldres killed her fiance, the Ogre man. So if Baldres didn't kill him, Gulder was half-Ogre.:)

But as you said, it is actually not very clear after I checked it again. We really should add some more words.
I really appreciate your precious feedbacks. Sometimes, we don't find out bugs ourselves...
perseo wrote:I'm waiting for it on the 1.9 server coz even when I won't replay in a time (it's really long :D ) I wanted one friend to play it.
¡Hope I can be helpful!
Sounds good!
It keeps me busy again lately, and you are so helpful. As my word, you are a precious user in this community. The number of campaign creators keep increasing, but the number of players who post good feedbacks doesn't increase much recently from my point of view.

But I recognize that it often causes to creator's responses.
Muchísimas Gracias!

If you find anything else even just your opinion, please feel free to post either on this thread and one on Add-ons Feedback Forum.
We always appreciate your helps.:)
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
perseo

Post by perseo »

SkyOne wrote:
The scenario 3, Northern Ways:
- Players are possible to go "3b Traveling North" and "4 A Man, an Elf, and a Diary" If they go to 3b, the next will be scenario 4. "How they go" is a secret, but the hint is hidden on this thread, in the first page. And the most players go to "3b Traveling North", I think.:wink: It tells how the unicorn, Täkel, comes from.

The scenario 5, In the Wild:
- On the cave-entrance, players can choose to stay on the scenario or to get into a cave-sceanrio. They may find a weapon in the cave. Either staying the scenario and going to the cave one, players go to the scenario 6, Capturing Dorest, after that.

The scenario 22, Dragon Cave:
- When a Fire Dragon shows, there is player's choice. Players cannot miss this action.
The scenario 22b, "The Battle at Prestim" is just a bonus scenario (as battling with a Fire Dragon and all human units). Players are able to get more golds if they go to it. After that, they will go to the scenario 23, Zluld's Last Stand..
Okay, after replaying third scenario Now I know how to go to travelling to the north instead of the diary one. But that it changes the future weapon of Zilvia? I think they are the same blade. Ammm... and also I have to move the saurian to the trapdoor not any unit... the problem is that this was the last leader I killed (don't ask me why XD) and I don't care a lot about the trapdoor.
And in the one of the dragon I though you only changed the way of doing things, I mean, if I go with the dragon then I'll go with the elves and I I go with the elves then I'll go with the dragon, but thinking it porperly it has no sense.
Thanks for this little guide of the branches, I will replay the begining again with this new path.
¡Salud!
I forgot! The yetis one I triggered their angry moving into their area, I didn't capture the village until they started being nasty. It's not so difficult, if you let them battle with the trolls you can hay lot of xp from the level 4 yetis and from the level 2 trolls.
"I was pulling a barrow, when I saw a stalking horse
what a beautiful day!- he said- for visiting a red herring
and getting hoarse."
Working on this campaign: The septentrional tower
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

perseo wrote:Okay, after replaying third scenario Now I know how to go to travelling to the north instead of the diary one. But that it changes the future weapon of Zilvia? I think they are the same blade.
Yes, the same blade.^_^
But it doesn't effect Zylvia's weapon later. Just Eämeral speaks a bit differently about the sword in the case on scenario 23.
Picking up the sword makes the story be more interesting a bit because the unicorn is the same guy who appears in scenario 19 and 20. (Also, Dessen and Elen-Garil talk more on the scenario 9, Common Enemy, in the case.)

His story is that: - The unicorn, Täkel, had been in love with Zylvia's mother, Celadë, when she was young. When she married with Lord Zluld (Zylvia's father), Täkel really got jealous to Zluld, and lost his mind. So he stole the Greenwood Blade from Zluld, and started running toward the south in order to stay away the sword from him, then he threw it out in the river.

After he had a conflict with Baldres's troop, he started running to the north at this time.

After that, he was finally able to find a place to stay with a number of maidens and a peace in Eisheim. I wanted to indicate how pure Alingwen/Ameck's heart is (because he followed Ameck on scenario 20) through the unicorn story. So Unicorns, especially Täkel, support the story in this campaign.

A little problem is that I am not sure how long unicorns alive in general. To follow this story, Täkel has to live at least 40 years.
perseo wrote:Ammm... and also I have to move the saurian to the trapdoor not any unit... the problem is that this was the last leader I killed (don't ask me why XD) and I don't care a lot about the trapdoor.
I see. It is fine.:)
I judged myself that I am an average player, but I think the best strategy to get XP on this part is to get into the cave before defeating one of the Goblin leaders (maybe, one at the west). Players have to be careful the spiders in the cave, though, because they are hidden.:)
perseo wrote:Thanks for this little guide of the branches, I will replay the begining again with this new path.
You are welcome. You can also wait until the new version, FoaP 0.9.1, for BfW 1.9/10 at this moment. I am trying to update it on coming Sunday (late Saturday night on the pacific time) even my buddy rings me up to drink beer on the day.:)

EDIT:
perseo wrote:It's not so difficult, if you let them battle with the trolls you can hay lot of xp from the level 4 yetis and from the level 2 trolls.
Aah, okay... There is a tiny bug at the part. I haven't modified Yeti's INCOME when they turn to enemies. So the NORMAL difficulty is easier than the EASY difficulty in the case. I fixed it on the next edition. Thanks for telling what happened when you played. It is helpful.:)
=================================

EDIT on Dec, 11
version 0.9.1 is on 1.9/1.10 server.

Thanks.
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Valvinar

Re: 1.8 & 1.10 SP Campaign, Fate of a Princess

Post by Valvinar »

On Striking Back is there any reason to not kill the generals? Specifically Dessen?

nevermind, I just played through and it seems you get a bonus if you kill them. I didnt try Dessen though.

edit again:

Just finished the campaign and I thought it was really fun. I especially loved the non generic factions. Great job guys. I still have to go back through and play the first two extra missions. i think the ending dialogue should go on a bit longer. I feel like it was about to till me what happened to all my companions. Even if you were going to end with just turuk it was really sudden. Story wise why did it matter if Alwingen was alive for the dwarven emporer? Also is he the emporer of the mountains of all races? dwarves, drakes, and otherwise? Or is the Falci guy the leader of the drakes still? haha I know this are little things but I'm really curious now.
perseo

Post by perseo »

Valvinar wrote:On Striking Back is there any reason to not kill the generals? Specifically Dessen?
it's a mix of storyline and playing reasons I think. It makes the scenario a bit more interesting and of course he's not really bad (although you have killed a bunch of not bad people by the moment) so it will be unfair. :)
¡Salud!
and getting hoarse."
WanderingHero

Post by WanderingHero »

I always wondered, do you get anything for killing Colonel Lynx? I nearly had him, but Jill missed, and the enemy was almost on me, so i ran away.

I felt bad fighting those 2, and the king's men in general, but hey the rare time you get to be a proper Villain Protagonist, you might as well roll with it right?

After reading the introduction about Baldres taking the title the King had given him and causing a civil war, did anyone else expect to play as the King's men putting him down?
charris

Post by charris »

Ah,

At last, Fate of a Princess in up on the 1.9 add-ons server. Thanks for that, now all I need is some time to play it again.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Valvinar wrote: I didnt try Dessen though.
Players can kill Dessen to get the XP (he is level=4), but lose 100 of golds.
Valvinar wrote:Just finished the campaign and I thought it was really fun. I especially loved the non generic factions. Great job guys. I still have to go back through and play the first two extra missions.
Thank you, Valvinar.:wink:
Valvinar wrote:i think the ending dialogue should go on a bit longer. I feel like it was about to till me what happened to all my companions. Even if you were going to end with just turuk it was really sudden.
Okay, we will refer about it.:)
Valvinar wrote:Story wise why did it matter if Alwingen was alive for the dwarven emporer?
It is supposed to be unknown in the story, but slightly written on her unit description by Simons Mith. Mmm... A nice description:
Spoiler:
Valvinar wrote:Also is he the emporer of the mountains of all races? dwarves, drakes, and otherwise? Or is the Falci guy the leader of the drakes still? haha I know this are little things but I'm really curious now.
Actually, making Turuk become the emperor at the end is a kind of jokes. During the process of creating this campaign, real Turuk became the Forum Emperor. So I installed the real matter into the campaign because I thought the ending was too sad if I didn't use it. But it seems that no-one has not felt sadness as much as I have, so far, and real Turuk is not really the Forum Emperor recently. So we can change the dialogues.

In this campaign, the Drake Lord, Falci-Nyess, and the Dwarf leader, Turuk, are buddies as written in Falci-Nyess's unit-description (by Simons Mith):
Spoiler:
Also, people can imagine it on the dialogue of scenario 16, Drake Lord, and scenario 21, Coalition of Orcs. So you can think like: - they are guards in the same country, just different races, such as our real world.

In fact, Turuk was not casted the roll at the very beginning in it. All dwarves in this campaign were planned to be Drakes. But he helped me a lot when I registered in this community, so I invited him into the campaign as a HERO.
perseo wrote:
Valvinar wrote:On Striking Back is there any reason to not kill the generals? Specifically Dessen?
it's a mix of storyline and playing reasons I think. It makes the scenario a bit more interesting and of course he's not really bad (although you have killed a bunch of not bad people by the moment) so it will be unfair. :)
¡Salud!
Thanks, perseo. You are absolutely right.:)
WanderingHero wrote:I always wondered, do you get anything for killing Colonel Lynx? I nearly had him, but Jill missed, and the enemy was almost on me, so i ran away.
This one seems you are asking to the other players, but...:
I on the previous page wrote:we have gotten some feedbacks regarding to the difficulty on this scenario (and the 2nd one). So I have touched up on those two scenarios on the next version for BfW 1.9/10.
So this part has been improved on version 0.9.1 (hopefully).
I did not ignore you, WanderingHero.:)
charris wrote:Ah,

At last, Fate of a Princess in up on the 1.9 add-ons server. Thanks for that, now all I need is some time to play it again.
Oh, charris. :D Thank you. I hope the transition between part one and two has been improved by adding scenario 7-10.

Thank you so much, everyone.:)
And please not to hesitate about what WanderingHero mentions if anyone has an opinion.:)
perseo

Post by perseo »

SkyOne wrote:...process of creating this campaign, real Turuk became the Forum Emperor. So I installed the real matter into the campaign because I thought the ending was too sad if I didn't use it. But it seems that no-one has not felt sadness as much as I have, so far, and real Turuk is not really the Forum Emperor recently. So we can change the dialogues...
I deeply disagree, in fact I think that the end is very poetic and has a powerful romatic style. Well, I have to say that the "disco" effects of the final spell doesn't help a lot but... anyway In fact when I read the final conversation between Zilvia and the other guy (dammed names) it shocked me a bit coz it was too superficial compared with the rest of the last part. That's only a opinion, of course.
WanderingHero wrote:I always wondered, do you get anything for killing Colonel Lynx? I nearly had him, but Jill missed, and the enemy was almost on me, so i ran away.
Well, I have to say that I didn't find this scenario so difficult and in fact I killed colonel Lynx, but I can't remember that something very interesting happen then, probably he said some great words before dying but I'm pretty sure that you don't get a lot of money or a special super-weapon or anything...
¡Salud!
and getting hoarse."
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

perseo wrote:
SkyOne wrote:...process of creating this campaign, real Turuk became the Forum Emperor. So I installed the real matter into the campaign because I thought the ending was too sad if I didn't use it. But it seems that no-one has not felt sadness as much as I have, so far, and real Turuk is not really the Forum Emperor recently. So we can change the dialogues...
I deeply disagree, in fact I think that the end is very poetic and has a powerful romatic style. Well, I have to say that the "disco" effects of the final spell doesn't help a lot but... anyway In fact when I read the final conversation between Zilvia and the other guy (dammed names) it shocked me a bit coz it was too superficial compared with the rest of the last part. That's only a opinion, of course.
Really? :D
Ho, ho, ho. Merry Christmas, perseo.
This is actually the best feedback I have ever had. I feel like I achieved one of the goals of my campaign-work here. Thank you so much for grabbing my message as well through the campaign. The idea of this story is from my real life that have given me a hard time. In fact, the model of Baldres was my real father, and my birth-mother left me when I was four years old.

And yes, I forgot mentioning that Turuk laughs at the very end. That is supposed to make the ending fun a little bit.:)
WanderingHero wrote:After reading the introduction about Baldres taking the title the King had given him and causing a civil war, did anyone else expect to play as the King's men putting him down?
For me, of course not, but...
SkyOne from Timeline of Wesnoth in 161YW-164YW wrote:The grand army of Wesnoth, personally led by the High Council of Archmagi, destroyed all enemies residing within Wesnoth.
This archmagi is the grandfather of Gulcyn the Wizard in this campaign. The dialogue starts from this matter on it. I think that creating a campaign about it will be interesting.:) Another campaign is still in the hold because of maintaining this campaign and Drake's one. So I don't think I can find an enough time to do it myself. But I can help some on its start if anyone would like to try.:)

Anyway, it seems that some drake's image files are corrupted on my BfW 1.9.12. Some of them do not show not only in the game, but also in the core folder. I will double check it. Hopefully, it just happens on mine... --> EDIT: re-downloading 1.9.12 made it fine, whew...

Thanks.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

SkyOne wrote:Anyway, it seems that some drake's image files are corrupted on my BfW 1.9.12. Some of them do not show not only in the game, but also in the core folder. I will double check it. Hopefully, it just happens on mine...
In case that it may be useful, I ran wmllint and wmlscope (as usual :) ) on the campaign. They did not reported anything about missing core Drake images in Linux, but there are some things that may need fixing in both FoaP and BW:
FoaP wmllint output:
FoaP wmlscope output:
BW wmllint output:
BW wmlscope output:
For any question, just ask. 8)
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Code: Select all

[event]
    name=last breath
    [filter]
        id=SkyOne
    [/filter]
    [message]
        speaker=unit
        message= _ "Aaaah...  I didn't expect it comes now... right after perseo made me happy..."
    [/message]
    [kill]
        id=SkyOne
        animate=yes
    [/kill]
    [message]
        speaker=narrator
        message= _ "SkyOne hasn't installed the code of '# wmllint: recognize <i>unit type</i>' at all, yet, since Elvish_Hunter noticed it."
        image=wesnoth-icon.png
    [/message]
[/event]
Thanks. I will work on them.:)

P.S. to players: those are all minor. The game are playable without problems through the end AFAIK.:)
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

SkyOne wrote:

[event]
    name=last breath
Nah, that code is wrong. "attack hits" is the correct event :P
SkyOne wrote:P.S. to players: those are all minor. The game are playable without problems through the end AFAIK.:)
Yes, they're all minor problems; some things, like colour -> color, however, are likely to cause issues on 1.11, when they'll be probably removed.
That said, I couldn't resist replaying the first two scenarios 8) On Hard difficult, this time!
In the first scenario, my opinion is that the enemy has a bit too much income - but luckily, he got distracted by the NPC horses, and so I was able to win.
In the first two scenarios, my terminal spammed these warnings:

warning engine: variable_info: retrieving member of non-existent WML container, foap_sword_picker.id
In the third scenario, however, I made some WML changes; not to rebalance it, but to simplify some code and fix the (in)famous sighted events.
What I did:
  • fixed both sighted events, by integrating them with moveto events; another option is using the ON_SIGHTING macro. Now Ishlars warns about Elves even when they move in the player's vision range
  • simplified the code for making the Dwarvish leader to appear on turn 2: the side simply starts without leader, which is created on turn 2
  • simplified the filter for enabling certain recruitments and increasing gold of side 3
I'm attaching here the modified scenario.
03_Northern_Ways.cfg
(15.53 KiB) Downloaded 258 times
Finally, since you use Elves in this campaign, you may (or may not, the choice is up to you) be interested in a sprite (made by Dibs from the Wesnoth Italian Forum) that I'm using in ARL:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Elvish_Hunter wrote:some things, like colour -> color, however, are likely to cause issues on 1.11, when they'll be probably removed.
Ooow, no, no. Please not to talk about 1.11, yet. I am busy enough for 1.9/1.10. But yes, I will refer it as soon as this one becomes stable on 1.9/1.10.
Elvish_Hunter wrote:That said, I couldn't resist replaying the first two scenarios 8) On Hard difficult, this time!
:D I appreciate it. I have not tested the HARD difficulty on 1.9.x, yet. So it is so helpful.:)
Elvish_Hunter wrote:In the first two scenarios, my terminal spammed these warnings:

warning engine: variable_info: retrieving member of non-existent WML container, foap_sword_picker.id
Oh, I see. The warning is probably from "FoaP-death.cfg". The unit who takes the sword becomes a HERO on the third scenario, but it doesn't exist on the first two scenarios. It probably occurs again after scenario 6 until scenario 10. Thanks. I will move the code to the scenarios. But similar thing will probably happen on part two for Merllow's and Shoko's last breath that are installed on both death-file and scenarios. It always triggers one on the scenarios, though, if it is on both files.

On Dead Water, the macro of "loyal unit deaths" has been removed from its utils-file on 1.9.x, so everyone should follow this matter.:)
Elvish_Hunter wrote:Finally, since you use Elves in this campaign, you may (or may not, the choice is up to you) be interested in a sprite (made by Dibs from the Wesnoth Italian Forum) that I'm using in ARL:
Oooh! It looks a very nice sprite. I guess shadowmaster probably likes it, too.
It must be for Kyoko. In the case, I should probably use it for Turuk's daughter in the game.:) Is it just one frame and level?

regarding to the mentions of wmllint:
Hmmm... I know the wmllint is not perfect, but I don't really get why it mentions like this:

"/home/linux/.local/share/wesnoth/1.9/data/add-ons/Fate_of_a_Princess/_main.cfg", line 9: abbrev needs translation mark
"/home/linux/.local/share/wesnoth/1.9/data/add-ons/Fate_of_a_Princess/_main.cfg", line 28: difficulty_descriptions doesn`t need translation mark (translatable string is empty)
I think "abbrev" doesn't need to be translated; on the other hand, the difficulty_descriptions need translations. I actually translated them, and they work fine on FoaP. Maybe, we have to use the macro on 1.9.x? If so, it won't be a problem for me.

And I got a very bad feeling about each one of those:

"/home/linux/.local/share/wesnoth/1.9/data/add-ons/Fate_of_a_Princess/scenarios/01_Time_to_Leave.cfg", line 477: nonstandard word-wrap style within message
Could you tell me what wrong this one is (as an example) if you know even just a guess? I hope I guess wrong.

I really appreciate to simplify the scenario. For me, it is like: - "That's it? We don't have to use [store_unit] and [unstore_unit] action on 1.9.x?" --> EDIT: Aaa, you start with "no_leader=yes". It makes sense. Thanks.:)
I will run it later anyway.

Thank you, Elvish_Hunter.:)
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

SkyOne wrote:It must be for Kyoko. In the case, I should probably use it for Turuk's daughter in the game. Is it just one frame and level?
Yes, it is for Kyoko. It has only one level, but it is completely animated. It was too good to leave it behind, so in 1.9 I changed Kyoko to be an AMLA unit. ^_^
SkyOne wrote:I think "abbrev" doesn't need to be translated
On the very contrary, it should be translated. For example, "Fate of a Princess" was translated by mich as "Destino di una Principessa"; so, its English abbreviation is FoaP, but in Italian becomes DduP. Or in mainline, "Under the Burning Suns" translates as "Sotto i Soli Roventi", then UtBS -> SiSR. Clear now?
SkyOne wrote:on the other hand, the difficulty_descriptions need translations. I actually translated them, and they work fine on FoaP
My guess is that the part that I marked in red fools wmllint:
difficulty_descriptions= "&data/core/images/units/human-loyalists/cavalryman-defend.png~RC(magenta>red)=" + _"Lieutenant" + "=" +_"(easy)" + ";*&data/core/images/units/human-loyalists/dragoon-defend.png~RC(magenta>red)=" + _"Major" + "=" + _"(normal)" + ";&data/core/images/units/human-loyalists/cavalier-defend.png~RC(magenta>red)=" + _"Colonel" + "=" + _"(hard)" + ""
SkyOne wrote:Could you tell me what wrong this one is (as an example) if you know even just a guess? I hope I guess wrong.
It refers to this message:

[message]
            id=Ishlars
            message= _ "… Ah. Oh well, I… suppose I should join the battle, then…
Culverin! Come to me, boy!"
        [/message]
The solution here is to shut wmllint with certain control codes. Putting

# wmllint: display on
before the tag, and

# wmllint: display off
after the tag should be enough to fix it. I haven't yet tested it.