Wesnoth and Mac OS X Lion

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
WaveBreaker

Re: Wesnoth 1.8.6 anc Mac OS X Lion

Post by WaveBreaker »

So the choice between two evils is to either not support Lion or to not support PPC.
:augh:
I will fiddle around with newer SDL-Builds and will try to find out if I can make it work on my Intel 10.7.2.
When I find something I'll share the info.
Cohen the Ballbearing

Post by Cohen the Ballbearing »

Thanks. Has anyone tried this? I am not quite brave enough to muck around with my install of Wesnoth, but would be very interested to know if anyone has tried the above successfully in OS 10.7.1 and also (from the developer) when this will be integrated officially into a Wesnoth patch.
I just tried it with Wesnoth 1.9.9 on Lion 10.7.2, and it greatly slows gameplay. Like ridiculously slow.
Additionally, it still crashed when:
- showing a message of defeat :oops:
- showing a message of scenario objectives
- showing a message of victory ^_^

This means one cannot proceed past the scenario they are in, so unfortunately, the Framework posted is not the solution we are all hoping for.

Lion users will be grateful for any help on this.
Is there a Wesnoth 12-Step Program?
ozean

Post by ozean »

Alarantalara wrote:I got the patched version from the SDL development tree and built it myself. The most recent versions of SDL have dropped support for PPC processors, which Wesnoth still supports, which means there is a very narrow window of revisions that can be used directly. It also means that even if a new version of SDL is released, Wesnoth won't be able to use it.
When I recently saw this statistic in an AppleInsider article, I was wondering if support for PPC is a good idea or not – at least if that means that 10.7 users are left out in the cold with a broken application.

If the statistics are correct, then a third of Mac users already runs Lion. Although they do not say anything about the amount of Mac users that are running PPC machines, I would be very surprised if that would be more than the 30% running Lion, seeing that the last PPC Mac has been sold by Apple in July 2006… (The statistics of OmniGroup say that 4.9% of their current user base run PPCs.)

To add further weight to the argument: I find it plausible that Mac PPC users are not the most avid updaters in out there, so they will probably have a higher likelihood of running older versions of Wesnoth anyway. (Obviously this is not true for those who engage in multiplayer play, since they need to run the most recent stable version to be able to find people with whom they could actually play…)

All in all, I think there are many good reasons to seriously think about abandoning PPC support if that is the only way that a stable version of Wesnoth can be offered for the rest of the Wesnoth user base on the Mac. If a solution can be found to enable a stable running of Wesnoth both in Lion and on the PPC than all the better. :)
Cohen the Ballbearing

Post by Cohen the Ballbearing »

I feel like such an idiot -- I downloaded the previous version of Wesnoth (1.8.6) and it runs 100% fine on Lion as far as I can tell. I'm not aware of what I'm "missing" by not running the most recent version, but I'm done whining. I can wait till a more stable post-1.8.6 version comes out.

Now back to my game!
Is there a Wesnoth 12-Step Program?
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

There is no problem with running the current version on Lion unless you try to run it in full screen, which is what this bug concerns.

Unfortunately, the only version of SDL that does support full screen in Lion also causes assertions when drawing some dialogs.
In addition, the very latest versions of SDL don't support PowerPC systems either, and we do have some art developers who are using them, so dropping support for PowerPC is not an option at this time.

I'm rather busy this week, but it is possible that I will be able to take the time next weekend to try and merge the fullscreen patch for SDL into an older version of SDL, thus hopefully solving all issues.
ozean

Post by ozean »

Alarantalara wrote:I'm rather busy this week, but it is possible that I will be able to take the time next weekend to try and merge the fullscreen patch for SDL into an older version of SDL, thus hopefully solving all issues.
You’re the best, obviously! :)
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

I've just uploaded 1.9.11 with a patched version of SDL that might resolve this problem. While I can't to test it in Lion, it doesn't cause any problems with older versions of OS X and I hope I've caught all the fixes that were applied to make fullscreen work.

While there isn't a release announcement yet, you can get it directly from SourceForge.
WaveBreaker

Post by WaveBreaker »

Switching to fullscreen still crashes for me on my MBP Lion.
I'll start playing a little bit and see whats up with the random hangs during gameplay and if there are any performance issues.

EDIT: Performance is great and I did not encouner any other crashes/hangs yet. I did not play a lot around 1.9.10 so that part might already be good there. But over 1.9.9 this is a big improvment. Fixed ingame switching between resolutions or full screen/windowed mode would be nice but is definately not a severe problem.
Attachments
Wesnoth_2011-11-24-130344_MBP.txt
(37.69 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
Last edited by WaveBreaker on November 24th, 2011, 3:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ozean

Post by ozean »

Same crash here. (I'll also attach the report, but it looks like it is the same issue here - i.e. it happens in SDL_FillRect and SDL_SetVideoMode etc.)
Attachments
Wesnoth-1.9.11-Lion-crash.log
(41.21 KiB) Downloaded 149 times
WaveBreaker

Post by WaveBreaker »

I do have a new crash compared to 1.9.10 now though - it happens when between 2 Scenarios the game switches to the map screen. :hmm:
When I load the same point in the previous version the game continues on with no problem.
Attachments
Wesnoth_2011-11-25-175918_MBP.txt
(38.26 KiB) Downloaded 165 times
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

That looks like a new whiteboard related bug. You'll probably want to submit it to the bug tracker along with the saved game.
benwulf

Post by benwulf »

I have tried the latest version and it was crashing for me on lion whenever going full screen. Switching the sdl framework to the one posted earlier in this thread fixed it.

By the way I think the previous poster is correct and it doesn't make sense to support PPC over Lion as more users will be using lion. However couldn't a middle ground be reached by posting a PPC version with the older sdl and a normal version with the newer one.

To add to the previous poster comment about PPC being a vanishingly small portion of the Mac user base you also have to consider that Mac have been much much more successful in recent years than they were during the PPC period

------

I've been too quick, it is now crashing just after downloading add ons.
Here is the crash info:

------

also it keeps crashing for no clear reason. Too bad as I really really liked Wesnoth

------

now I retested using 1.8.6 and replacing the sdl framework and that worked fine with no crash so far (I downloaded a campaign and went through the first level)
Attachments
WesnothCrashLion.txt
crash log
(44.12 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
Last edited by Pentarctagon on November 27th, 2011, 8:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Next time, use the edit button instead of multi-posting.
gabba
Inactive Developer

Post by gabba »

WaveBreaker wrote:I do have a new crash compared to 1.9.10 now though - it happens when between 2 Scenarios the game switches to the map screen. :hmm:
When I load the same point in the previous version the game continues on with no problem.
Fixed for 1.9.12, this one was indeed my fault. I did extensive testing with single scenarios and MP games, which is where my changes tend to break stuff, but didn't try to start a campaign. Adding to long list of obligatory things to test...
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

The SDL library formerly posted earlier in the thread has been integrated into 1.9.13. It has an older version of SDL merged into it for PPC users so they can still play and it has additionally been patched to resolve low frame rates in windowed mode.

I strongly encourage people using Lion who want to play in full screen to switch to the new version.
aZu

Post by aZu »

Hey thanks for the update. Two questions: when will this said release be ready for release and will its SDL library also fix the same problem in 1.8.6?