[Complete] The Grand Tag! 2v2 Tournament - 3rd Edition!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

nani

Re: The Grand Tag! 2v2 Tournament - 3rd Edition!

Post by nani »

The Black Sword wrote:There is also a high probability that the game will continue tomorrow at 1800GMT, just awaiting confirmation peace is available.
Confirmation received!
alpha1 wrote:post time and date of your next game-session beforehand.
Continuation will be in 15minutes it seems and I'm joining the Latverian match via messenger. :)
nani

Post by nani »

The last match of TGT3 has taken place on Loris River feat.
nani(Undead) & peace(Drakes) vs The_Black_Sword(Undead) & tekelili(Undead)
It was a real epic match, very enjoyable to play, could've ended either way.
Tentacles_vs_Nerds_Game3.gz
(65.23 KiB) Downloaded 510 times
Comment on the Game:
Speech of Thanks:
Last edited by nani on November 21st, 2011, 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grrr

Post by grrr »

Wow, so peace & nani won this tournament? Gotta have to log in just to say congratulations, I am sure it was well deserved!
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Congratulations to the champions of this tournament, nani and peace!
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Dauntless
TGT Champion

Post by Dauntless »

See the look of astonishement on Mace`s face??

Thats exactly my expression from yesterday, when, to everybody`s surprise, the Grand Finals of the TGT 3rd Edition! were finished!!

The Tentacles of the Deep have managed to beat Nerds R US in an epic 3rd Grand Finals game and by that took the whole series with the score 2:1!

So it is a great honour for me to hereby present to you:

The Tentacles of the Deep as the Champions of the 3rd TGT!!

and

Nerds R US as the TGT 3rd Edition! Vice-Champions!!

I hope that everybody has enjoyed the TGT and will have only good memories of it!

I would also like to thank my Vice-admins, Faello and alpha1, without whose help this tournament would be impossible to organise.

Furthermore, I would like to thank a lot tekelili, for making an amazing TGT Opening Ceremony, my teammate neki for good teamplay, nani for keeping the amazingly up-to-date game table, all our opponents for nice games and, last but not least, all the other players who participated in or watched the TGT :)

Thx a lot guys and hopefully cya all soon in some other tournament ;)

Dauntless
Last edited by Dauntless on November 23rd, 2011, 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Faello

Post by Faello »

Walls of TGT Coliseum trembled. Siths have prevailed over the Light Side of the Force...

... but everyone has to remember that Knights of the Dark Side were once Champions of the Light too...
:shock:

:mrgreen:

As a Vice-admin of this edition of TGT, I'm happy that 3rd Edition of TGT has succesfully finished. I'd like to thank Dauntless and alpha1 for all the work & time they've put to make it work.

Special thanks to tekelili for his job on the Ceremony scenario and to nani for keeping the games table updated all the time! Ofc we cannot forget about the developers and mods for their support of TGT! :)

We've been able to play and obs a large amount of good games and TGT once again had a very strong players on it's board - thanks for the participation guys! ^_^

Last, but not the least, congratulations to the Winners of TGT 3rd Edition, our fierce Tentacles, nani & peace! I'd like to point out that Champions of TGT 3rd Edition were granted with the special forum title by the wesnoth developers for their efforts. :D

TGT 3rd Edition is officially over, that's all folks! :wink:

F.
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.
nani

Post by nani »

The Tournament Tree has been completed and here are the direct links to the packages containing the properly renamed replays:
Even though I'm no TGT-admin, I thought this might be a nice summing up post for the tournament. :whistle:
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

Congratulations, champions! Can't wait till next TGT :mrgreen:
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
alpha1

Post by alpha1 »

Faello wrote:TGT 3rd Edition is officially over,
that's all folks!
:wink:
Not so fast "Big F."! Nothing is over until i had the opportunity to...
Spoiler:
Following my ex-co-admins, i too would like to thank all the people involved in the tournament, as players, organizers or just observers, for sticking around and helping to make TGT 3rd Edition a unique gaming experience it (hopefully) was 8)

@Finalists: Alas we won't see his Doom...ian Majesty anytime soon, cause he is still pursuing some of his agendas in the depth of r/l. However he ordered me to tell you, that he was surprisingly pleased with DRAMA and TENSIONS of the last tournament game and will skip the "Renoir-routine" this time (no idea what's that, but he said you would understand ^_^). His game-outcome-prediction-machinery however shall be disposed of at once! :evil:
If you have any wishes or suggestions concerning the TGT or just want to drop me a message, pls pm me at: alpha1_pm
I won't be able to see any messages that are sent to alpha1.
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Another successful TGT.

Congrats to nani and peace.

Good work by Dauntless and Faello with the organization.

I can't wait for the next TGT.

<Thread resumes mortal status>
Unsticky.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
Dauntless
TGT Champion

Post by Dauntless »

Its me again :)

Now that the TGT3 is over, I am opening, as planned, this thread as a basin for ideas for the improvement of the potential TGT4 someday.

I know that some players had some ideas how to improve the tournament and iwould be glad if they wrote them here now, so that we could disscuss them and think them over.

Cheers

Dauntless
Kolbur

Post by Kolbur »

Start a 2v2 map contest and play the next TGT on some fresh maps for more fun and to balance them. :P
The Black Sword

Post by The Black Sword »

On the new maps front; Terra Dwelve.
Seriously, I think we heard a fair amount of criticism of the current map set during the tournament and I haven't heard of any issues with Terra Dwelve. I really feel it deserves to be played.
Other maps could also be considered but TGT is supposed to a "serious" tournament I think, so I would be hesitant over including totally new maps.

Ideas to stop the "loyal army" strategy would also be good IMO. My favourite atm is splitting income and village upkeep 50/50 between the 2 players, regardless of who actually holds the village.
Faello

Post by Faello »

I like the map contest idea that Kolbur brought up, some fresh air brought by a new maps would certainly be valuable :)

Some players already mentioned that they'd prefer to see a group stage in TGT4 to play more games in the first round. I think that's something we will aim for in the next edition of the tournament.
The Black Sword wrote:On the new maps front; Terra Dwelve.
Seriously, I think we heard a fair amount of criticism of the current map set during the tournament and I haven't heard of any issues with Terra Dwelve. I really feel it deserves to be played.
I'm still not a big fan of it, but TGT needs more maps and this one is official, thus I'd have nothing against puttig it on the map list. More or less, map list is something to be discussed before the next TGT too.
The Black Sword wrote:Ideas to stop the "loyal army" strategy would also be good IMO. My favourite atm is splitting income and village upkeep 50/50 between the 2 players, regardless of who actually holds the village.
I have mixed feelings about this strategy, but it's a fact that players that unify their economy in one hand can gain significant advantage over their opponents in a short period of time - for example in the final game between Tentacles and Nerds R Us, Tentacles unified their economy and paid only 1 gold piece for 32 units army per turn at some point while slightly smaller Nerd's army costed about 13gp/per turn. Ofc theoretically, Tentacles paid more by hitting debit balance but as long as no-village army is not trying to recapture the villages, that's a debt that is never going to be paid thus it means that team using this strategy is gaining more gold per turn than it should be gaining from equal split.

The other side of the coin is the fact that team which somewhat suffered in first part of the game can gain a second chance in the game thanks to this strategy + one team is restricted to a limited variety of fresh recruits.

Still, this strategy also allows to release a lvl2 unit (king) to a frontline, thus profits of using unified economy easily outweigh it's shortcomings.

#REGARDING MAPS: Some of TGT replays are a good source of information regarding the existing 2v2 maps - I think it's obvious that some 2v2 maps require balancing tweaks (like Loris or Paths of Daggers). I've seen tekelili's topic that already touched this problem but discussion didn't develop there.

If there's somebody responsible for balancing 2v2 maps, I can provide a list of possible changes that can be discussed but first I need to see some attention in this thread, both from players and devs side. We're all quite busy and I really don't like to post mega-posts for a sheer pleasure of posting :wink:

F.
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Faello wrote: If there's somebody responsible for balancing 2v2 maps, I can provide a list of possible changes that can be discussed

F.
Technically, that is me and jb, though I haven't been interested in 2v2s for a very long time, and have more than enough work with the 1v1s (and real life :P).

If you want actual change to occur, I personally would like more than "a list." Make the edits, test them, and post replays. If people are noticing improvements in the matches, there's a good chance we can implement the changes. Not that extensive discussion shouldn't also be a part of the process. ;)

Anyways, like I said- 2v2s are just not something that I have much love for, in general. They're an important part of the game and the community though, so if somebody would like to step up and put some work in, it would be appreciated.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme