Someone is selling Wesnoth on eBay

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

tryceo

Someone is selling Wesnoth on eBay

Post by tryceo »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/fantasy-war-P ... 815wt_1396

This guy also sold a lot of other free software on eBay. I have no idea how much money he has made, but it has to be a ton based on the number of his feedbacks.

You guys need to sue this guy or take some sort of legal action. This is seriously wrong.
averyimaginativename

Re: [URGENT] Someone is selling your GAME on eBay

Post by averyimaginativename »

It's distasteful, but the GPL lets you do that.
UMC Story Images web gallery

On an indefinite Wesbreak for health reasons - please only try to get my attention for UMC story images website issues.
Boldek

Post by Boldek »

Can we report the item? Or would there not be enough evidence or legal back up?
Guys I never thought I'd come back to this forum after 8 years this is wild
averyimaginativename

Boldek wrote:Can we report the item? Or would there not be enough evidence or legal back up?
There's no legal case.

The GPL states
When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom, not price. Our General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that you have the freedom to distribute copies of free software (and charge for them if you wish), that you receive source code or can get it if you want it, that you can change the software or use pieces of it in new free programs, and that you know you can do these things.
Also see http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

As long as he provides source on request, he's doing nothing (legally) wrong.

Unless it's a dev (I don't think it is), I find it ethically dubious, but legally, he's fine.

On an indefinite Wesbreak for health reasons - please only try to get my attention for UMC story images website issues.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I suspect he could get in trouble for "Mario/Maryo", "Civilization", "Risk" or "Scrabble" titles though (if the companies who own the original trademarks and copyrights were to sue him).

I do find it kind of amusing that he is charging money for a game titled "Free Civilization"... lol
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Crushmaster

Post by Crushmaster »

Wow. That's an epic fail. Even if that's not "legally" wrong, it's in horrible taste...

Fortunately, if they pay a little attention, they'll find out that they can get updates and such for free. It'd be very annoying all the same, though.
God bless,
Crushmaster.
Godspeed, random person!
NeedGod - User:Crushmaster
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Random observations:

1. What the...

2. SuperTux Cart? Really?

3. I personally find the description/title thing rather amusing:
"fantasy war PC Game: Trolls Orcs Wizards Archers, MORE!"
Uh... wut?

4. Does Wesnoth even have an ESRB rating? :|

5. Judging by the terrain graphics in the screenshots, the version the guy is selling seems to be 1.8 (possibly earlier?).

6. How the heck can he list "Sweet Home 3D" as a game? Looks like a CAD program to me...

Also, this guy isn't the only one selling Wesnoth on eBay. So yeah. Plenty of losers out there who have no qualms about selling other people's hard work, just because they can. Shame on them.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Boldek

Post by Boldek »

artisticdude wrote:2. SuperTux Cart? Really?
lol, when I first saw his screens of Freeciv and Supertux cart, I was like, "Supertuxcart, Freeciv?" Don't you have something better to do, like pirate movies? I mean, seriously, I've been playing both those for years and seeing someone trying to sell it.....Oh well. I suppose someday even the grass must be bought.
Guys I never thought I'd come back to this forum after 8 years this is wild
uncleshelby

Post by uncleshelby »

Seller wrote:By ordering this games package,
you will be saving hundreds of dollars!
:lol2:

That is funny.
Timshel
Crushmaster

Post by Crushmaster »

uncleshelby wrote:
Seller wrote:By ordering this games package,
you will be saving hundreds of dollars!
:lol2:

That is funny.
Ya know, that's downright lying...:? That seems report-worthy.

Hmm. :hmm:
God bless,
Crushmaster.
Godspeed, random person!
NeedGod - User:Crushmaster
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

artisticdude wrote: 5. Judging by the terrain graphics in the screenshots, the version the guy is selling seems to be 1.8 (possibly earlier?).
Much funnier is his version of SuperTuxKart: He is trying to sell the old (0.6) version, which is about 2 years old. They did a complete engine switch, and the old version is very, very bad.

I don't know about the legal state either: Doesn't he have to state explicitly that you may as well get the sources on the respective projects' pages for free? I can't find that anywhere... or am I just not seeing it?
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Crendgrim wrote:Much funnier is his version of SuperTuxKart: He is trying to sell the old (0.6) version, which is about 2 years old. They did a complete engine switch, and the old version is very, very bad.
In that case, he's lying again. He explicitly states on the page that:
All game titles have been checked for the latest updated versions, as of August 4, 2011!
Crendgrim wrote:I don't know about the legal state either: Doesn't he have to state explicitly that you may as well get the sources on the respective projects' pages for free? I can't find that anywhere... or am I just not seeing it?
I think as long as he includes a copy of the GPL and links to the source(s) in the package he's selling he's okay, but I'm far from a legal expert, so I can't swear to that.

EDIT: this guy is also selling OpenOffice, Audacity, Blender... this ticks me off. A lot.
Last edited by artisticdude on November 13th, 2011, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
averyimaginativename

Crendgrim wrote:I don't know about the legal state either: Doesn't he have to state explicitly that you may as well get the sources on the respective projects' pages for free?
I ran a Linux shop, and that's exactly what I did. Big letters, you can download all this for free (with links), and these CDs are intended for people with metered, or low bandwidth internet connections (tellingly, I closed down when broadband took off). The GPL doesn't enforce it though.

He can't remove copyright, he can't remove existing links to the GPL, and he has to provide the source, but he doesn't have to explicitly state it's available free of charge.

I think this is the part you're confusing:
You may copy and distribute the Program in...executable form...with a written offer, valid for at least three years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your cost of physically performing source distribution
You have to provide the code free of charge, but you don't have to explicitly state it's available for free other than in the licence (which must also be included).

Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

Ah, too bad, looks like it's for Win/Mac only :P

This happens all the time unfortunately, but for $7 it's potentially a cheap lesson learned.
powershot

Post by powershot »

Why would someone buy it on ebay if they can get it for free right here?
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
The heck m8? I thought you left... No seriously... go... serious...
ok bye m8. I'm serious.