Formulaic posting

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Vincinct

Formulaic posting

Post by Vincinct »

Is there some formula for starting topics?
I am a new forum user and i was wondering if i need write topics in a certain way.
Better yet,is there things i shouldn't say when starting topics.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.it didn't look like there was a "help" forum.
lipk

Re: Formulaic posting

Post by lipk »

Everything you need to know is in the Posting Guidelines. There might be specific rules for certain sub-forums as well, check it on the top (first or second sticky thread).

It's not a guarantee that your post will look intelligent, but if you don't break these rules, nobody will get at you.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Kind advice? Just read for the first month. Sounds harsh, but will prevent you from making threads that have been here a thousand times. Also, consider the wiki first.
Otherwise, have fun :D

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Some advice:
  1. Don’t feel intimidated. If you have a legitimate question, do a quick search. But if you can’t easily find an answer then it’s worth asking.
  2. Don’t take things personally. If a moderator closes a thread it doesn’t mean you’re not welcome, and it’s not a personal attack on you. It’s usually due to rules and guidelines.
  3. Be okay with Wesnoth being a community driven game. Don’t ever forget that. Sometimes comments on ideas, submissions and critique might be considered harsh by some, but Wesnoth is the high quality game, and it got to be by having high standards and pushing for “A” quality work.
  4. Remember, we’re here to help you. You came here for a reason. We’re here so you can find answers and we can learn in return. That’s what a community is all about.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Moderator Emeritus

Post by 8680 »

HomerJ wrote:Kind advice? Just read for the first month. Sounds harsh, but will prevent you from making threads that have been here a thousand times.
I concur. I “just read” for over a year, and can attest to its efficacy.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Vincinct wrote:Is there some formula for starting topics?

You can save time by using the following formula:
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 61#p299861
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Vincinct

Post by Vincinct »

Thanks.
By the way,does "just read" mean that I can post replys?
Because I just joined so I could play a "role" in "development"

And yes,I did overly use italics "on purpose"
Ceres
Forum Regular

Post by Ceres »

Vincinct wrote:By the way,does "just read" mean that I can post replys?
Sure you can, but watching for some time first can get you an idea of the policies around here. You don't have to, though, as long as you aren't trolling and/or violating the posting guidelines, you can't do much wrong.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Vincinct wrote:Thanks.
The idea is just to get acclimated with our admittedly abnormal forum atmosphere before diving in and potentially getting in trouble due to simple ignorance.

Though I think we're at an all-time high for forgivingness to newbies. I hear hilariously twisted stories from Back In The Day™.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Vincinct wrote:Thanks.

And yes,I did overly use italics "on purpose"
I was actually more focused on your overuse of italics :D

But the forum moderators (for the most part) do their job very well. Very little trolls remain, and if you do something wrong, the worst that can happen is that your post is deleted or the thread locked and you get a PM stating you broke a rule.

And again that happens very little. I can't even recall the last time somebody got banned (that wasn't an outright and obvious spammer/troll/bot). Most people get bored and leave before anything like that ever has a chance to happen anyways.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Hulavuta wrote:I can't even recall the last time somebody got banned (that wasn't an outright and obvious spammer/troll/bot).
Or maybe it just happens so quickly and quietly that we all fail to notice when it happens. :shock:

No seriously, of all the forums I do belong or have belonged to, the Wesnoth forums are the friendliest and most well-run I've encountered to date. Just follow the posting guidelines and use common sense, and you'll be just fine. :)
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Vincinct

Post by Vincinct »

So.
Thanks.

You know,it's people like you guys who make wesnoth fun. :)

P.S.I'm not a newb.I've been playing wesnoth for 3 years.I only just joined the FORUM though
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Oh btw....don't necro threads. Check the post date. If it's been past 2 weeks don't post unless you have something extremely important or enlightening that you have to add.

(I noticed you did this in the Unit vs Unit thread)
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra