What Operating System do You Use?

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

uncleshelby

What Operating System do You Use?

Post by uncleshelby »

Just curious, what Operating Systems do y'all use?

Ubuntu 11.04. It's the only Linux operating system that hasn't had problems on my laptop, and I hate windows. Why? Bloated, slow, EULA, "Command Prompt".

If you post on this thread and say something sucks/you hate it, please explain.
I wouldn't be surprised if a thread like this has been made before, but I couldn't find one.
Last edited by uncleshelby on September 30th, 2011, 9:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Timshel
Great_Mage_Atari

Re: What Operating System do You Use?

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

This could be used for hackers... I'm just making this clear. It's pretty easy (I won't hack, but I have been trained on prevention). Knowing the machines OS makes it easier to hack onto. Posting it on a forum makes it even easier.
uncleshelby

Post by uncleshelby »

Do you mean this, or this?

I don't see why anyone would want to hack anyone else, but whatever. We'll see what other people have to say.
Timshel
Great_Mage_Atari

...Which one did you think I meant? Number 2. I'm not posting my OS for security reasons.
averyimaginativename

Post by averyimaginativename »

Great_Mage_Atari wrote:...Which one did you think I meant? Number 2. I'm not posting my OS for security reasons.
Ah, a Windows user.

I like my Operating Systems like I like my women - steady, reliable, intelligent, multi-lingual. Willing to work with you if you're willing to put the effort in. No my-way-or-no way PMT mood swings of Ubuntu . Good looking, but in a homely way, not that slutty Arch way.

I am a Debian man.
UMC Story Images web gallery

On an indefinite Wesbreak for health reasons - please only try to get my attention for UMC story images website issues.
uncleshelby

Post by uncleshelby »

Now that I see more people not scare, I have come out of my hole. That was fast.
Last edited by uncleshelby on September 29th, 2011, 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Timshel
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Windows 7. I also have a Ubuntu 10.10 vdi (which refuses to run on a flashdrive) for one of my classes, but I don't really use it otherwise.

I am also extremely skeptical about what GMA said in regards to the hacking:
How to report a bug properly wrote:When reporting a bug, make sure that you include the following:

Operating system, including its version
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Great_Mage_Atari

averyimaginativename wrote:
Great_Mage_Atari wrote:...Which one did you think I meant? Number 2. I'm not posting my OS for security reasons.
Ah, a Windows user.
Que? Correct me if I'm wrong (which I know I'm not) but in the real world you can hack any OS under most circumstances (i.e. Internet capabilities). Any good hacker can hack almost any non-secure computer on most any OS.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Great_Mage_Atari wrote:This could be used for hackers... I'm just making this clear. It's pretty easy (I won't hack, but I have been trained on prevention). Knowing the machines OS makes it easier to hack onto. Posting it on a forum makes it even easier.
Right. Because the only people who have access to users’ IPs (that is, moderators and administrators) are a bunch of script kiddies.

:roll:

You may or may not be using Opera on Windows XP, by the way. And your IP is 127.0.0.1. Let the cracking begin!
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Great_Mage_Atari

Am I using Opera? No. Google Chrome. XP? I'll be honest. I'm on Mac OSX. As for you giving away people's IP addresses, that's sort of morally wrong. Not to mention completely idiotic and frivolously stupid.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

It's almost like his post wasn't completely sarcastic...
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I feel so bad about publishing the address of every person using IPv4 in the world. My apologies.

(See also: localhost.)

(I’ll pretend you didn’t call my post idiotic or stupid so we can have some laughs.)
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
uncleshelby

Post by uncleshelby »

Great_Mage_Atari wrote:Am I using Opera? No. Google Chrome. XP? I'll be honest. I'm on Mac OSX.
Anyone can lie.

Edit: I'm sitting in my basement laughing. This is a really entertaining thread I made here.
Timshel
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Given an IP, fingerprinting the OS is typically the easiest thing to do.
Great_Mage_Atari

Ok. Shadowmaster have forgiveness :lol2: I'll be honest with you guys, I'm using exactly what I said up top (por la momente). As for my IP, yeah, that's it (for now. I switch computers regularly on a daily basis).
P.S. Yeah, I do regularly use Opera on an XP based computer. IE drains my nice little workspace :mrgreen: And although I'm not too particularly happy with my IP given away (I have been hacked before because of it), oh well. The internet is forever.