My lore thread

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

PandaClaws

Re: My lore thread

Post by PandaClaws »

Wow!

I thought that they did not have any lore yet because they did not have a description. But it seems they do.

I agree however that it looked like they always allied with dragons. Poor choice of words on my side really.

But I thought there was a scenario in "The Rise of Wesnoth" were a fire dragon basically leads a tribe of saurians, I expanded on it but probably a lot too far.
I also recently found out that there is no religion in Wesnoth so this was wrong to begin with.
Very well sir. Bring on your storm.
- A guard dismissing the Snow Prince

Read about the snow prince here
For when a king cries, he cries tears of iron.
Great_Mage_Atari

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

It's not that it was wrong, just poorly planned.
You didn't really take the time to look to get the facts straight, leading you where you are now.
There really isn't much need for lore here as it is (this is an opinion).
Lore really isn't a bad thing per say, it's just that nobody cares enough about it.
If you want to make it, great, but it really isn't a necessity at the moment.

Atari
powershot

Post by powershot »

Lore might be better in a campaign. :|
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
The heck m8? I thought you left... No seriously... go... serious...
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
PandaClaws

Post by PandaClaws »

Hmmm, yeah I noticed that. I will just work in UMC for the time being then, to practice.

Thanks for all your help by the way. It is greatly appreciated.
Very well sir. Bring on your storm.
- A guard dismissing the Snow Prince

Read about the snow prince here
For when a king cries, he cries tears of iron.
Great_Mage_Atari

No problem.
In the meantime, I highly suggest getting active in the forums.
Maybe even learn some coding? :D
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Great_Mage_Atari wrote:In the meantime, I highly suggest getting active in the forums.
And by active you clearly don’t mean “post in every topic that comes up”. Right? Because that would be terrible.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Great_Mage_Atari

Oh heck no! Just roam around a little bit. Don't post everywhere.
boru

Post by boru »

PandaClaws wrote:I also recently found out that there is no religion in Wesnoth so this was wrong to begin with.
This is not so, just play Under The Burning Suns.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
professor_max

Post by professor_max »

BfW has a no religion in Wesnoth policy. UTbS was writen before this policy, and contained too much religion to remove.

But then UTbS is set in Irdya in general :D

'Professor Max'
Please excuse my bad English - my first language is BASIC.

Proud to be a citizen of Nowhereisland.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

There’s no such policy to begin with. Furthermore, UtBS was completed as a user-made add-on, not a mainline campaign.

Also note this “deliberation”, which is easy to misinterpret, and started approximately one day after the first development version following UtBS’ inclusion in mainline was tagged, version 1.1.2. (UtBS itself first appears in the repository history on March 19th with [rev]10571[/rev].)
Last edited by Iris on August 22nd, 2011, 1:00 am, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: Bumping after a series of substantial edits.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
professor_max

Post by professor_max »

Ooooops, big time. I'm really sorry, I though that this was policy.

Sorry again,
'Professor Max'

powershot

Post by powershot »

Off topic: If religion can exist in Wesnoth, what do Wesnothains believe?(this is a serious question)
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
The heck m8? I thought you left... No seriously... go... serious...
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
professor_max

Post by professor_max »

I think that ShadowM was saying that Religion can exist in Wesnoth, but it just often isn't mentioned because it isn't often necessary, and could possibly cause offense.

'Professor Max'

Great_Mage_Atari

It's not only that, but the addition of religion (haha rhyming is fun) can cause conflictions in basic story lines. So instead of Halric coming to Wesnoth, he stays because his party god Buck told him to, therefore making everybody stay on Green Isle.
See what I'm getting at here? Religion could play so much of a key factor that it's just left out.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Okay; it’s a good thing that we are not authorities on the subject either way.

Of course, there are vague references to some kind of belief system for human (and some non-human apparently) civilizations in Irdya in mainline content. Most of them are from esr’s writing, and the whole Lords of Light/Darkness thing is his idea, in fact.

Code: Select all

$ grep -RI 'Lords of [LD]' data/campaigns

data/campaigns/Northern_Rebirth/utils/herodeaths.cfg:                        message= _ "Thank the Lords of Light, not me!"
data/campaigns/Northern_Rebirth/scenarios/07a_Settling_Disputes.cfg:                    message= _ "Camerin! Great Lords of Darkness, I haven’t seen you in ages! Here, let me just finish off this little vermin and I’ll be right over."
data/campaigns/Northern_Rebirth/scenarios/05a_The_Pursuit.cfg:                    message= _ "Indeed, that is good to know. But you are now free to go wherever you like. May the Lords of Light guide your path."
data/campaigns/Northern_Rebirth/scenarios/05a_The_Pursuit.cfg:                    message= _ "Indeed, that is good to know. But you are now free to go wherever you like. May the Lords of Light guide your path."
data/campaigns/Northern_Rebirth/scenarios/04_Clearing_the_Mines.cfg:            message= _ "Lords of Light, what kind of vile creation are those things!"
data/campaigns/Northern_Rebirth/scenarios/10a_Stolen_Gold.cfg:                    message= _ "Farewell, Krash, may the Lords of Light guide your path."
data/campaigns/Northern_Rebirth/scenarios/14a_Epilogue.cfg:                    message= _ "Once again I thank all of you. For those of you who are leaving, may the Lords of Light — or Darkness — guide you on your path. For those of you who are staying — come, we have much to do."
data/campaigns/The_Rise_Of_Wesnoth/utils/trow-deaths.cfg:            message= _ "May the Lords of Light protect us all."
data/campaigns/The_Rise_Of_Wesnoth/scenarios/23_Epilogue.cfg:                    message= _ "May the Lords of Light have Mercy on you. But, I am bound by my word."
data/campaigns/The_Rise_Of_Wesnoth/scenarios/13_Peoples_in_Decline.cfg:            message= _ "Land! Land! Bless the Lords of Light!"

$ fgrep -RIi 'gods' data/campaigns

data/campaigns/Descent_Into_Darkness/scenarios/06_Return_to_Parthyn.cfg:                message=_ "Gods of Darkness, how did it come to this? My own sister determined on my death. Nothing has gone right since... since that day the fat toad Zephrin mocked my up-country accent and I lost my temper and cursed him with boils. <i>“A life curse goes beyond a joke,”</i> they said. <i>“Poor judgment,”</i> they said, and expelled me from the Academy."
data/campaigns/Delfadors_Memoirs/scenarios/01_Overture.cfg:            message = _ "Yes. Peace is broken, but hope is not extinguished. There is always hope. And you will be the father of it. I call the power of the Bright Gods into the second part of your name. FA"
data/campaigns/Northern_Rebirth/scenarios/11a_The_Eastern_Flank.cfg:            message= _ "Gods of Light! Look at that fortress. The castle Angthurim is even grimmer than its reputation."
data/campaigns/Northern_Rebirth/scenarios/13a_Showdown.cfg:            message= _ "Sweet gods, look at all those orcs pouring out of that fortress."
data/campaigns/Northern_Rebirth/scenarios/05a_The_Pursuit.cfg:            message= _ "Bright Gods, such a fierce creature whimpering! What the heck have they done to it?"
data/campaigns/Northern_Rebirth/scenarios/05a_The_Pursuit.cfg:            message= _ "Holy Gods of Light! 500 gold!"
data/campaigns/Northern_Rebirth/scenarios/05a_The_Pursuit.cfg:                    message= _ "This is the Great Rod of Justice, my boy. It was an ancient artifact even when I was young. They say it was crafted by the Great Gods themselves, and given to the first true Ruler of Men to ensure peace, harmony and above all — justice. For hundreds of years it did just that, for during the time it was wielded by men, the ruling class never became corrupt, the people never lacked justice and neither evil nor wars troubled the land."
data/campaigns/Northern_Rebirth/scenarios/05a_The_Pursuit.cfg:            message= _ "Oh, thank the Gods of Light! Finally there is someone here in force to deal with that menace. You must have been sent by the High Kalian of Hiera’Shirsha?"
data/campaigns/Northern_Rebirth/scenarios/02_Infested_Caves.cfg:            message= _ "Grim Gods of Darkness, what are those things!"
data/campaigns/Northern_Rebirth/scenarios/08b_Ray_of_Hope.cfg:            story= _ "By the gods of darkness, what harm have I done to you? You have not been slain by me, nor by my minions. And Malifor is dead, and by the Gods I will never serve any of his likes ever again! Now get out of my way!"
data/campaigns/Northern_Rebirth/scenarios/08b_Ray_of_Hope.cfg:            story= _ "Abhai: You haven’t? It was an ancient artifact even when I was young. They say it was crafted by the Great Gods themselves, and given to the first true Ruler of Men to ensure peace, harmony and above all — justice. For hundreds of years now, it passed from king to successor. Ever since it has been wielded by men, the ruling class never became corrupt, the people never lacked justice and neither evil nor wars ever troubled the land."
data/campaigns/Northern_Rebirth/scenarios/08b_Ray_of_Hope.cfg:            story= _ "Abhai: That is exactly what I suggest, my boy. When you grasp it, if you are destroyed, then that is an end to your torment. If you are not, then you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Great Gods do not hold you responsible for the acts Malifor has committed through you. Either way, it will be an end to your suffering."
data/campaigns/Northern_Rebirth/scenarios/09b_Judgment.cfg:            message= _ "Tallin, we are in a place beyond matter, thought, and time. This is a place of unimaginable splendor, glory and transcendence — the very realm of the Greater Gods."
data/campaigns/Northern_Rebirth/scenarios/09b_Judgment.cfg:            message= _ "No, Tallin, you are not dead. The Greater Gods have seen it fit to give you another chance."
data/campaigns/Northern_Rebirth/scenarios/09b_Judgment.cfg:            message= _ "Very well. If this is the will of the Greater Gods, then so be it."
data/campaigns/Northern_Rebirth/scenarios/04_Clearing_the_Mines.cfg:            message= _ "Grim gods of darkness! The whole place is swarming with undead! They have raised corpses to do their work."
data/campaigns/Northern_Rebirth/scenarios/10a_Stolen_Gold.cfg:                            story= _ "Snap out of it Tallin! We are not in control of fate. We will do all we can to the best of our ability and leave the results to the gods."
data/campaigns/Northern_Rebirth/scenarios/10a_Stolen_Gold.cfg:                            story= _ "It is well thought. May the Bright Gods be with you."
data/campaigns/Northern_Rebirth/scenarios/10a_Stolen_Gold.cfg:                            message= _ "Princess! We have finally found you! Thank the Bright Gods you are free! Your father had originally sent us to rescue you."
data/campaigns/Northern_Rebirth/scenarios/09a_Introductions.cfg:                    message= _ "Gods of Light! Elenia! It’s you! It has been years! What in the world happened to you? We all had thought you dead!"
data/campaigns/The_Rise_Of_Wesnoth/scenarios/02_The_Fall.cfg:                message= _ "Your word can’t be trusted. Prepare to meet your gods!"
data/campaigns/The_South_Guard/scenarios/08a_Return_to_Kerlath.cfg:            message= _ "The dark gods have put revenge in our laps. Destroy them all before they reach the border fort!"
data/campaigns/Under_the_Burning_Suns/units/elves/Divine_Avatar.cfg:    description= _ "Divine Avatars only appear in time of great need. Forms of the Gods themselves, made real in this world for a time, blessed are those who are lucky enough to view such images of power and perfection."+{SPECIAL_NOTES}+{SPECIAL_NOTES_ARCANE}+{SPECIAL_NOTES_MAGICAL}
data/campaigns/Under_the_Burning_Suns/utils/storytxt.cfg:            story= _ "Which brings me to the other alien concept I was trying to comprehend: our goddess Eloh. What was her plan? Why did she want me to surrender to the humans? Do the humans worship her as well? The humans seem so brutish and vile, that I can’t imagine them worshiping the same god as us. I thought Eloh was just our god, I don’t remember Zhul mentioning any other races worshiping her after the Great Fall, though perhaps things had changed in the intervening years. Her commands don’t make any sense; she doesn’t seem at all like the goddess Zhul told me about. And what was Esanoo talking about? How did his master know about ‘Yechnagoth’ and ‘Zhangor’? If Eloh won’t help me, then I desperately need some answers. I pray to whatever gods may be left that I’m not leading my people into a trap..."
data/campaigns/Under_the_Burning_Suns/scenarios/08_Out_of_the_Frying_Pan.cfg:            message= _ "Water. Sweet water. By the gods, I thought my scales would fall off."
data/campaigns/The_Hammer_of_Thursagan/scenarios/03_Strange_Allies.cfg:            message=_"We will fare where we will and take what we will, dog of an orc. To the Dark Gods with you and your precious ‘Alliance’."
data/campaigns/The_Hammer_of_Thursagan/scenarios/12_The_Underlevels.cfg:            message=_"Aye. Karrag, calling his troops to battle. Only the Dark Gods know what hellspawn the lich will summon. AXES UP!"
data/campaigns/The_Hammer_of_Thursagan/scenarios/06_High_Pass.cfg:                    message=_"In case you haven’t noticed, there is a serious shortage of both firewood and food in this gods-forsaken slot. And the damned gryphons descend on me whenever I stir out of this shack. I’ve had nothing to eat but flash-roasted gryphon for the last three weeks."