[mainline] Reduce deepsea movetype's defense in swamp?

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Groggy_Dice
Inactive Developer

[mainline] Reduce deepsea movetype's defense in swamp?

Post by Groggy_Dice »

One scenario I played, I was looking to save the merman who grabbed the storm trident from a sea serpent, and a swamp was nearby. Sea serpents have 60% defense in deep water, which goes down to 50% in shallow, and I was hoping it would go down another notch for swamp. I was surprised to see that it went back up to 60%.

I don't see the logic in that. I would prefer that deepsea defense in swamp terrain go down to 40%, but at the least, I don't see why their defense should be any higher than it is in shallow water.

What is the rationale (logic or balance or gameplay) behind the current defense rating? As far as play balance is concerned, a change would presumably be a slight benefit to players, since I don't think there are any player-recruitable deepsea units. Of course, monsters will usually attack all sides, and a key strategy is often to point them towards enemy units, so in some cases it might work against a player. (Though in this particular campaign, monsters join an enemy side, and only attack the player.)
Last edited by Iris on August 18th, 2011, 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Done in r50831.
Ports:
Prudence (Josh Roby) | By the Sword (monochromatic) | The Eight of Cembulad (Lintana~ & WYRMY)
Resources:
UMC Timeline (Dec) | List of Unported UMC (Dec) | wmllint++ (Feb)
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Reduce deepsea movetype's defense in swamp?

Post by zookeeper »

Sounds like a good idea to me. I'd guess the current swamp defense is more of an oversight than a very intentional decision, but a possible rationale would be that there's more cover to be had in a swamp than in shallow water. But then again, that ought to be equally true for reefs on which they only get 50%.

I can make the change, but I'll wait a day or two in case anyone presents a reason not to.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I hate to be off topic and to bug you (zookeeper) but could you look at a similar thread I posted awhile back. I posted it in MP development though I probably shouldn't have because it involved changes to a core unit (though not one that is actually used in multiplayer).

http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=33711

On topic: I agree with this general proposal and with the thought that the increased swamp defense was likely an oversight.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
powershot

Post by powershot »

I perfectly agree and want the change to happen.(does my opinion count :| )
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
The heck m8? I thought you left... No seriously... go... serious...
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

No it doesn't. Then again, neither does mine and I have a lot more 'forum cred'. That does not mean you cannot give it nor that it might not be useful as it could possibly sway the opinion of one who does have the power to make things happen. That said, if you're weighing in on any balancing issue it helps to have a long established reputation as a good player.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
em3

Post by em3 »

If the interpretation for deep sea movetype is "a large water creature", then having more defense in deep water (where it can move around freely) as opposed to shallow water, reefs and swamp (where are many obstacles hindering the unit) makes sense.
ride on shooting star
powershot

Re: [mainline] Reduce deepsea movetype's defense in swamp?

Post by powershot »

But maybe, It could hide in swamps.
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
Golden_Soldier

Post by Golden_Soldier »

how could a sea serpent hid in a swamp :| "oh look at that giant green colored rock with a head on it over there. It is quite pretty" :whistle:
powershot

Post by powershot »

You got a point. :|
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Golden_Soldier wrote:how could a sea serpent hid in a swamp :| "oh look at that giant green colored rock with a head on it over there. It is quite pretty" :whistle:
Never heard of the beast of Loch Ness? Ah well, that's a lake not a swamp but still!

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
DEATH_is_undead

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

HomerJ wrote:
Golden_Soldier wrote:how could a sea serpent hid in a swamp :| "oh look at that giant green colored rock with a head on it over there. It is quite pretty" :whistle:
Never heard of the beast of Loch Ness? Ah well, that's a lake not a swamp but still!
Ever seen how deep the Loch Ness lake is? Pretty deep.
Depending on the swamp, it's deepness, how dirty it is, ect. The Loch Ness could possibly hide, but not efficiently

Edit: Spelling error
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
Golden_Soldier

Post by Golden_Soldier »

swamps tend to be as deep as your usual pond. In other words not very deep.
powershot

Post by powershot »

Normal pond. Wow! My normal pond the serpent wouldn't be able to fit unless it stuck it's head in the air(like it does).
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
Golden_Soldier

Post by Golden_Soldier »

so... they cant hide in swamps so I agree with Groggy_Dice this should be changed
powershot

Post by powershot »

I seond that/ I agree.(my two/three cents)

We should start a poll.
ok bye m8. I'm serious.