Swamplings Art Thread - comments greatly appreciated

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Dunno

Re: Swamplings Art Thread - comments greatly appreciated

Post by Dunno »

Hey, sorry I haven't replied yet, I was on vacations (forgot to put it in my sig)
Boru, just want to say that those are your units and I don't mean to change Your campaign like that. I feel like I've said too much already and I don't want to make you rethink every detail because of me. I just felt like he would look cool with the kama you mentioned, nothing more. I don't see any problem in him having a kama and attacking with wolf's fangs. Nevertheless, thank you for taking your time on reading my feedback with so much attention. If it's ok with you, I'll try frankening/recoloring kama from Orcish Slayer, but please don't hesitate from stoping me :)
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
boru

Post by boru »

Dunno wrote:Boru, just want to say that those are your units and I don't mean to change Your campaign like that. I feel like I've said too much already and I don't want to make you rethink every detail because of me.
The campaign is in development, so stuff gets changed, don't worry about it.
I hope you had a nice vacation.
Dunno wrote:I just felt like he would look cool with the kama you mentioned, nothing more. I don't see any problem in him having a kama and attacking with wolf's fangs. Nevertheless, thank you for taking your time on reading my feedback with so much attention. If it's ok with you, I'll try frankening/recoloring kama from Orcish Slayer, but please don't hesitate from stoping me :)
That sounds like a good plan, and it will make the name cutthroat more suitable.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

Allright here's my first version of cutthroat with kama:
cutthroat2+kama.png
cutthroat2+kama.png (6.92 KiB) Viewed 4390 times
I don't know... somehow it looks off... I experimented with various colors and placement, but I just can't find what's wrong. Could anyone give me a tip how to make it better?
Golden_Soldier

Post by Golden_Soldier »

The handle of the kama is very hard to distinguish. Also you may want to make the handle a bit longer. It would be more realistic that way (and easier to see)
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

If the unit is gonna lose it's torch attack, maybe you could make him with two kamas? If I hadn,t known, I would never have guessed he was holding a kama, as it is currently...
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
boru

Post by boru »

Maybe a light colored wood for the handle, almost the color of the flame. (Yes, he's keeping the torch, I was just getting a little Hamlety, that's all,)
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Shinobody

Post by Shinobody »

Maybe if skulls would be hanging below wolf's neck, they'd be both more visible and unit would more distinguishable?
Artist, writer, game designer for hire.
Art portfolio: https://shino1.artstation.com
Writing dump: https://shino1portfolio.wordpress.com/
My itchio for video games and TTRPG stuff: https://shino1.itch.io/
boru

Post by boru »

Sounds good to me.

Dunno

Post by Dunno »

cutthroat.png
cutthroat.png (7.12 KiB) Viewed 4222 times
Redone the kama
Added extra skull

It looks slightly better now, imo. I finally feel that the kama does look like kama :) . Anyway, it is you who should decide, boru, and if you like it, I'll work on the shadow.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

My peanut comment: It's much more noticeable and a definite improvement, but I think it looks too blurry and could have more outline, it might help it pop out (?). Same applies to the skulls.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Golden_Soldier

Post by Golden_Soldier »

ahh... :) much better with the kama
boru

Post by boru »

Dunno,

The kama is improved. But the position of the third skull seems wrong to me. If there's not enough room under the wolf's neck, let's stick with two original skulls.

If you feel like experimenting with an outline as Dixie suggested, go ahead. There is some blurriness.

Dunno

Post by Dunno »

Another update on cutthroat:
-Added more outline on kama. I'm afraid that's the most outline you can get.
-Changed position of the third skull. The thing that was wrong here before was the wolf's ear which was partially behind the skull, I guess.

I don't have many ideas of what to do improve further, so... what do you say of call it a final version...? Of course, I'll have to finally work on shadow first, and maybe try to make something more with that 3rd skull. But I have my doubts about it, because the more I try to make it look better, the less of the skull is visible. It's hard to tell what it is already. Anyway, please share your thoughts and maybe I'll finally finish the first sprite in my life :D
Attachments
cutthroat.png
cutthroat.png (6.94 KiB) Viewed 4098 times
boru

Post by boru »

It is an improvement. But the third skull is so tiny it just looks like a mistake. I think you should remove it.

Dunno

Post by Dunno »

Another update:
cutthroat.png
cutthroat.png (6.94 KiB) Viewed 4033 times
-added shadow
-removed the third skull
-minor changes (right hand, skulls)

Hey boru, could you please show me how it looks in-game? I don't have 1.9 on my computer so I can't see how it fits with that new pillager. :)