How to randomize order of player in multi?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jensen

How to randomize order of player in multi?

Post by Jensen »

Is there a way to randomize who goes when in multiplayer? It seems like it always defaults to whoever hosts the game starting first, and in my groups one person always tends to be the host because they know what their doing when it comes to choosing maps. So, it would be nice to randomize the order of play each game...any way to do that?

Thanks!
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: How to randomize order of player in multi?

Post by Velensk »

This is a feature in 1.9
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Jensen

Post by Jensen »

Velensk wrote:This is a feature in 1.9
Great! I wonder when 1.9 will become the stable version. Or would it be 2.0 once it becomes stable?
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

It would be 1.10. You can search the Off-Topic forum for more info on why that is, there was a thread named "so, after 1.9, what?" talking about just that, but I can't seem to find it (easily) because the search query says the terms are too common. I know it still exists, though, it was raised and sent back to the grave earlier this week.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Jensen

Post by Jensen »

Thanks. Odd that it was a full year ago that they were talking about releasing 1.10 and it's still not here, but I imagine it would be better if I did not broach that topic here. Especially when I am really enjoying the current stable version of Wesnoth :)
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Jensen wrote:Thanks. Odd that it was a full year ago that they were talking about releasing 1.10 and it's still not here, but I imagine it would be better if I did not broach that topic here. Especially when I am really enjoying the current stable version of Wesnoth :)
That's the spirit!
Also time for another classic acronym here: [acronym="It is ready when it is ready!"]IIRWIIR[/acronym]

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Well, one year ago, "they" were not really talking about 1.10, they had just started working on 1.9, and a curious user raised the question...
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Jensen

Post by Jensen »

Dixie wrote:Well, one year ago, "they" were not really talking about 1.10, they had just started working on 1.9, and a curious user raised the question...
Ah, true enough.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

The term "stable" is, IMO, extremely misleading. 1.9 is not any more buggy or any less playable than 1.8, and the incredible new features far outweigh any minor glitches that may pop up occasionally. The only serious drawback to playing 1.9, AFAIK, is that the MP server tends to be less populated, and it can be harder to find games to join. So, admittedly, if you are mostly a MP user, 1.8 may be the way to go. But otherwise there's little reason not to use 1.9. Don't let the term "development version" scare you away.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

And that replays in 1.9.8 currently don’t work (#18457 [Gna.org]). Also this.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Also, in some of the more recent dev versions the game has been crashing with fair frequency for me. This may be a mac specific problem though.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
StandYourGround
Location: On a blue ball spinning through space at incomprehensible speed

Post by StandYourGround »

I have noticed however, that any and all crashes I have experience on stable or dev versions on Macs are always related to fullscreen mode, whether they occur in full screen mode or in the switching process.
I will now resume lurking silently.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Not so in my case, I always play in window mode.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:The term "stable" is, IMO, extremely misleading. 1.9 is not any more buggy or any less playable than 1.8, and the incredible new features far outweigh any minor glitches that may pop up occasionally. ...
The main reason calling it stable is that it will not change. All 1.8 versions are WML and multiplayer compatible to each other, the only changes are bug fixes.