Strategies for the Undead?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Great_Mage_Atari

Strategies for the Undead?

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

You see, I like the Undead faction's units and advantages. Lately I have been trying to up my game with better strategies for gameplay. Does anybody else have good offensive strategies for the Undead? All advice would be much appreciative.
Colouredbox

Re: Strategies for the Undead?

Post by Colouredbox »

How to play undead:
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?t=11150

Get a bunch of adepts so you can zap enemies at night and protect them well is my advice.
Waiting for cheesedwarfs to be added to ageless.
powershot

Post by powershot »

All ghost is my strategy.
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
The heck m8? I thought you left... No seriously... go... serious...
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
averyimaginativename

Post by averyimaginativename »

IMO, undead are the simplest faction to play. Three strategies work in most situations against average players.

One or two bats, depending on the number of villages on a map, and as many adepts as you can afford bodyguards for - the how to play link is pretty much spot on with which bodyguards work.

On small maps with a small number of villages, one ghoul per village (or Skeleton Archer/Ghost depending on the opponent), then spam bats and wcs. No upkeep lets you swarm the enemy if they're not quick - and a lot of opponents aren't quick.

A variant of the last one on maps with fog is to feign a move with ghosts or bats in one direction while recruiting and holding back wcs near your castle. By the time they've dealt with the distraction and sent their troops the right way they're already outnumbered.

The downside of the second two strategies is they exploit weakness in your opponent, not weaknesses of the opposing faction. A good experienced player will know what you're doing and wipe the floor with you, but against somebody beginner-intermediate, they work well.
UMC Story Images web gallery

On an indefinite Wesbreak for health reasons - please only try to get my attention for UMC story images website issues.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

In general I find once you have figured out how to compose your army, stratagy for undead is mostly about ToD/timing: trying not to be outmanuvered despite a generally slow army. Of course, this works on the assumption that there is only one good way to compose your army but I've never seen anything other than the dark adept/bodyguard system working consistantly against good players.

Undead tactics are definately a more interesting subject but are harder to discuss without a situation.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Great_Mage_Atari

Say you are fighting a loyalist army along a river about 2 hexes wide with no deep spots. Say the army is about as big as yours. Assume that you have a roster of skeletons, ghosts, dark adepts, and vampire bats. The enemy has spearmen, heavy infantry, archers, and cavalrymen. The enemy and you both have 7 income. Now, do you set up your troops along the river and wait for the enemy to come to you, or do you go for the offensive and take out the mages and heavy infantrymen before they get to you? I personally would line up my skeletons along the river and attack the enemy from the back with ghosts and bats.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

You are utterly missing the point and aside that your scenario leaves out a ton of information that is essential to that decision. The Time of Day, the positioning of the enemy units, any other incidental terrain, the positioning of your own units, the exact composition of each side, are any of the units damaged/how much, are all important to deciding how to play it.

But the point is that we could publicly pick appart any scenario presented but it is much harder to discuss tactics in a general way that would allow us to apply them to any situation. Also, this is one area where different players styles become a major factor as do the way the dice flow and how each player reacts to them. Without treading down each possibility tree and doing a ridiculous amount it is frequently very hard to say which way is superior objectively.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Great_Mage_Atari

Velensk I would appreciate it if you would stop bashing all of my threads. Thank you. I already got a nice answer
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

Huumy's How to Play Undead threads:
Undead vs Drakes
Undead vs Knalgans
Undead vs Northerners
Undead vs Loyalists
Undead vs Rebels

These threads are long dead, though, so you might be best off posting questions or comments here with links back.
Charming_Mermaid

Post by Charming_Mermaid »

Well that is not actually a strategy but a good way to defend is the skeleton archer (with some faction exceptions) he can resist blade pierce attacks and against eventual mage attack he can provide good retaliation even at day... Well hello to everyone I've been playing this game for 8 days (the multiplayer I mean) and I found wesnoth in one of my old cds just a week ago and it was 1.4.6 version :D
Great_Mage_Atari

Please don't necro this thread. This is dead and I would like it if it was locked.
Charming_Mermaid

Post by Charming_Mermaid »

Sorry, I am new to the forums and I didn't know :/