Wesnoth and Mac OS X Lion

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Gambit
Loose Screw

Re: Wesnoth 1.8.6 anc Mac OS X Lion

Post by Gambit »

Did that fix the problem Elrond?
ozean

Post by ozean »

Gambit, I only post this to be on the safe side: you are asking Elrond if he was able to start Wesnoth once again after switching from full screen to windowed mode right? I.e. you are not presuming that the crashing issues themselves would be fixed? (I just want to make sure that nobody things the crashing bugs in Lion are only of a random / individual nature…)
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Well I was hoping it at least helped this:
The crashes in Lion happen always when one starts in full screen mode [...]
ozean

Post by ozean »

Then we share similar hopes :D
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

This may have something to do with it:
http://bugzilla.libsdl.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1215

I would guess that Wesnoth will not be able to run on Lion in full screen until that's fixed.
ozean

Post by ozean »

Alarantalara wrote:This may have something to do with it:
http://bugzilla.libsdl.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1215

I would guess that Wesnoth will not be able to run on Lion in full screen until that's fixed.
Yes, that looks like it might be the culprit…
Sebi

Post by Sebi »

First of all, I hit similar issues. Although I have not been active in the forums for quite a long time, I never could cease playing Wesnoth 8) . I'll try the solution with full screen mode and report the result.
No, I don't wanna play again, I lost for the umptieth time. - Five minutes later - Oh, I'm gonna try once again, only once.
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

Here is a possible fix for people running on Lion:
Download the attached file, and unarchive it.
Select your copy of Wesnoth (any version of Wesnoth should work), Show Package Contents, and navigate to Contents/Frameworks.
Replace the SDL.framework that you find there with the unarchived attachment (you may want to keep the old one in case of problems).

I haven't been able to test this since I do not have Lion, so please tell me if this allows you to play in full screen (other issues will likely not be fixed).

Unfortunately, SDL has dropped PPC support, so I'm not sure when or if I'll be able to get this into the standard releases.

Edit: Removed file since it causes a crash when displaying the objectives dialog (mentioned later in thread)
Jensen

Post by Jensen »

Alarantalara wrote:Here is a possible fix for people running on Lion:
Download the attached file, and unarchive it.
Select your copy of Wesnoth (any version of Wesnoth should work), Show Package Contents, and navigate to Contents/Frameworks.
Replace the SDL.framework that you find there with the unarchived attachment (you may want to keep the old one in case of problems).

I haven't been able to test this since I do not have Lion, so please tell me if this allows you to play in full screen (other issues will likely not be fixed).

Unfortunately, SDL has dropped PPC support, so I'm not sure when or if I'll be able to get this into the standard releases.
Thanks. Has anyone tried this? I am not quite brave enough to muck around with my install of Wesnoth, but would be very interested to know if anyone has tried the above successfully in OS 10.7.1 and also (from the developer) when this will be integrated officially into a Wesnoth patch.
MathiasB

Post by MathiasB »

Thank you Alarantalara, I tested it on my MacBook with Lion and it works!
ozean

Post by ozean »

Yay! Works for me too, using 1.9.8.

I haven’t done heavy testing, just switching to full screen and back. This used to crash 1.9.8 100%. With the new framework I haven’t experienced a crash. Thanks a lot!
WaveBreaker

Post by WaveBreaker »

Did fix the general issue for me too, but now I have bad performance in the game itself. Before scrolling, starting fights and moving units the game lags for close to a second.
The crash seems gone but its still not much fun playing. Before it was nigh impossible though, because even in windowed mode the game crashed very frequently.

I run 10.7.1 on a MBP and am happy to test new fixes and have no problem fiddling around with the libraries.
ozean

Post by ozean »

Since 1.9.10 still shows this crash :( I wanted to ask if it would make sense to do a newer build of the SDL framework to fix the issue reported by Simon Forsyth:
Testing snapshot with OS X 10.6 and Wesnoth 1.9.9 shows that the snapshot is failing is_neutral_surface assertion when trying to blur the background for the objectives dialog.
Am not sure of cause, but it does mean that the snapshot mentioned below will not make it into 1.9.9.
See the bug report on gna: https://gna.org/bugs/?18319

Alarantalara, thanks a lot for providing this work around for us poor souls! :)
WaveBreaker

Post by WaveBreaker »

:? I thought I read someplace that some compile time parameter should have been deactivated in 1.9.10 so that supposedly this problem would not reaccur. But maybe that was an imagination on my part or it just did not solve anything.

That said I also still have the crash problem - and the very laggy workaround.
Alarantalara - how did you come across the patched SDL-Framework version and how was that built?
When I follow the gna! link and into the bug report for SDL there is a comment, that the supposedly rooted bug is fixed in the current development src. I think about preparing for my own build of SDL as I don't know how long the next binary release for OS X is going to be in the future... propably years!?
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

Right now, the newer build of SDL causes crashes for me on Snow Leopard, whether full screen or not. Until I can get it to work on older versions of the Mac OS as well, I'm unwilling to just replace it. Sadly, I've had less time than I might like to investigate just why this is happening, thus the unpatched release. I do hope to have it solved before 1.10, though.

WaveBreaker: I got the patched version from the SDL development tree and built it myself. The most recent versions of SDL have dropped support for PPC processors, which Wesnoth still supports, which means there is a very narrow window of revisions that can be used directly. It also means that even if a new version of SDL is released, Wesnoth won't be able to use it. You can certainly build your own from there if you're interested.