[art] 'Camp' icon on the Continent Map

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
professor_max

[art] 'Camp' icon on the Continent Map

Post by professor_max »

I'm still on 1.9.0, ( blame mobile broadband, ) so I might be out of date; but on the Continent map, there are symbols for battles ( crossed swords, ) and symbols for other events ( flags. ) Would it be a good idea to add a symbol for camps, as, IMHO, as this would relate more to the theme of some scenarios that either of the two existing symbols?
Please excuse my bad English - my first language is BASIC.

Proud to be a citizen of Nowhereisland.
professor_max

Re: [art] 'Camp' icon on the Continent Map

Post by professor_max »

As nobody has shot me yet, I have given it a go. It isn't very good yet.
icon.png
icon.png (3.47 KiB) Viewed 6305 times
If this should be in the Art Workshop, please move it, but that would mean starting (yet) another thread.

Thanking you,
'Professor Max'

DEATH_is_undead

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

professor_max wrote:As nobody has shot me yet, I have given it a go. It isn't very good yet.
icon.png
If this should be in the Art Workshop, please move it, but that would mean starting (yet) another thread.
More-or-less, the way I see it, it's being made for Wesnoth; So Art Contributions would be more of what you are looking for.

More on topic, though; I'm not sure a tent look is what a Wesnoth Camp would look like, IMO I more imagine them as either Encampments or a less colorful tent. If a small army is hiding out near an enemy camp, do they really want red to display them? :wink:
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

I think it's red so it fits to the other red icons of the travel map. ;)
Though I think the red is too bright compared to the other icons.

Crend
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
DEATH_is_undead

Crendgrim wrote:I think it's red so it fits to the other red icons of the travel map. ;)
Though I think the red is too bright compared to the other icons.
But there is red and gray icons. I always took it that the red icons are a color-over of the gray ones. Personally, I find this very difficult to make white, without making it unreadable. And if you don't make it white, it would be too visually distracting to the person reading the map. Red is the most distracting color, even if you fade this out, I find it would be to distracting as a whole.
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
professor_max

Post by professor_max »

An encampment would be better - but how would one draw a very small icon for that? Death is undead - I haven't thought about the white icon. It would be possible to convert it to grey scale and lighten it, which it appears is what was done for the other ones. As to style, I could do several different ones for different factions. Campaign writers could use [NEW_HUMAN_CAMP] &c.

Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Isn't it what the flags are about? Rests... These are basically stops in camps or cities - non-battle scenarios and such...
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
professor_max

Post by professor_max »

I have made several changes.

I will try several other icons next week.
white-icon.png
white-icon.png (4.01 KiB) Viewed 6258 times
icon.png
icon.png (4.32 KiB) Viewed 6258 times
Dixie:
The idea was that the camp icon would give campaign writers more choice to accurately describe the scenario. Eg: Supposed rests, when the enemy attacks unsuspected, scenario's in which you do something, but generally no fighting. Also, campaign designers could use the white variation to show details, like :
"They marched North for two days when they were suddenly ambushed by Orcs." *
could show where they camped.

For that matter, I think I'll do an undead flag, for DiD.

Be seeing you,
'Professor Max'

*I didn't take this from a campaign, it is just to illustrate my point.

Shinobody

Post by Shinobody »

Actually, if you ask me, it could be used to distinguish setting a temporary camp in some place (we'll wait here until X) from just "marching somewhere and then".
Ah, and I thought that map icons are usually whole in red or white? I mean, white stripes on tent look confusing when compared with red-only icons.
I guess something more symbolic would fit better (could you imagine using that tent in orcs campaign? Or in one place where I think it would fit, Descent into Darkness, in part about two mages making camp in caves through harsh winter?) Crossed swords are widely accepted as "battle" icon, so I guess that something being more obviously symbol of "camp" would fit better.
Artist, writer, game designer for hire.
Art portfolio: https://shino1.artstation.com
Writing dump: https://shino1portfolio.wordpress.com/
My itchio for video games and TTRPG stuff: https://shino1.itch.io/
professor_max

Post by professor_max »

Thinking of something more sybolic is hard - the usual symbol for a campsite is a caravan, but that might look a bit odd.
I think that it would be much easier to have several different icons for different purporses:
Drakes and gryphons - a nest
Undead - simular to human, but with bones
Orcs - a clumbsy tent
Others, like mermen, will be much harder.

Shinobody

Post by Shinobody »

How about something like that? Stylized tent seems universal enough.
Or, alternatively, something like this. Stylized campfire.
But, when we're at it, flags seem to have the same purpose now... They mean long stop. So chances of using this idea in mainline near zero.
OFF-TOPIC: But they may be used in UMC.
EDIT:Wrong link.
Artist, writer, game designer for hire.
Art portfolio: https://shino1.artstation.com
Writing dump: https://shino1portfolio.wordpress.com/
My itchio for video games and TTRPG stuff: https://shino1.itch.io/
professor_max

Post by professor_max »

Thanks. The tent's good, I don't know how recognisable a campfire would be at very low res. The flag would still be used a lot. The other reason that I thought of a camp icon is that many scenarios are said to be battles in the story, but later turn out to be battles, are given away by the use of the crossed swords on the continent map.
Last edited by professor_max on July 16th, 2011, 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

professor_max

Post by professor_max »

In my wonderings of the Wesnoth forums, i have found a thread:
forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=30959&start=120
which has a simular idea for a UMC campaign swamplings.

All the best,
'Professor Max'

boru

Post by boru »

Yes, I've been fiddling around with different map options for my campaign. Unlike the HttT type of "journey" campaign, Swamplings meanders around and revisits the same locations a lot, so it needs more than crossed swords and flags to keep the map from getting too monotonous. I'm experimenting with resizing some of the existing art assets and using them as a base to create new icons, but I don't yet have any icons I'm happy with.

One of the things you have to decide on first is if you want your icons to match the crossed swords style or the flag style because, look at them for a second. They're different. Crossed swords: all red and very dark gray, dark outline, 19x16 pixels. Flag: reds of different shades, brown pole, no outline, 23 pixels square. Since the dots match the crossed swords more closely, it may make sense to go with the smaller size and colors of the swords, therefore, no whites, browns, etc. if you are attempting to come up with something acceptable for mainline. Either that, or replace all map icons with something better.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
DEATH_is_undead

boru wrote:Either that, or replace all map icons with something better.
As far as I can see, in the future, there maybe a revamp of those graphics, not the art developers seem to be focusing more on the units (Horsemen seem to be the latest trend)
boru wrote: One of the things you have to decide on first is if you want your icons to match the crossed swords style or the flag style because, look at them for a second. They're different. Crossed swords: all red and very dark gray, dark outline, 19x16 pixels. Flag: reds of different shades, brown pole, no outline, 23 pixels square. Since the dots match the crossed swords more closely, it may make sense to go with the smaller size and colors of the swords, therefore, no whites, browns, etc. if you are attempting to come up with something acceptable for mainline. Either that, or replace all map icons with something better.
Personally, I always found the Swords to be more 'Intense' (for a better word) then the dots. Seeing as this is a camp, I find it better to be closely related to the flag then a battle.