Wesnoth and Mac OS X Lion

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Elrond89

Wesnoth and Mac OS X Lion

Post by Elrond89 »

I have installed the GM of Mac OS X (10.7), which is the one that will be soon distributed via MacAppStore, I tried to open Wesnoth 1.8.6 but id doesn't start, the icon remain on the dock but nothing happens.

Does anyone have the same problem? There are possible issues already known related to the new OS?

PS I previously had the Mac OS X 10.6.8 an it worked perfectly.
Last edited by Alarantalara on December 21st, 2011, 3:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: renamed thread as it is no longer specific to 1.8.6
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Wesnoth 1.8.6 anc Mac OS X Lion

Post by Crendgrim »

Two topics below your one: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=33864
Looks like exactly the same issue.

Crend
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Wow, I never knew that the stable branch would become localized to 10.6.x :hmm:
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Elrond89

Post by Elrond89 »

Crendgrim wrote:Two topics below your one: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=33864
Looks like exactly the same issue.

Crend
It is not the same issue:

My Wesnoth start but then nothing happens, I force it to quit (it doesn't quit on his own).

I have a completely new SO, mine is the 10.7, which is the one that is going to be released soon.

Many others users are going to upgrade to the new OS, so i was wondering if anyone has got the same issue.
boru

Post by boru »

I'd give 1.8.5 a try, simply because other Mac users have had big problems with 1.8.6. Hope that helps you.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Elrond89

Post by Elrond89 »

boru wrote:I'd give 1.8.5 a try, simply because other Mac users have had big problems with 1.8.6. Hope that helps you.
I gave it a try and it had the same problem, the issue must be related to the new SO, with the previous SO I haven't had any problem.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Interesting, as 10.6 and 1.8.6 seem to play nicely together.
When Lion is officially released I’ll test it out on my system.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
ozean

Post by ozean »

The crashes in Lion happen always when one starts in full screen mode, and they happen always when one switches to full screen mode. In addition, there are also very frequent crashes during regular game play – these seem to be somewhat more random though.

These problems should affect both the Wesnoth 1.8.x and the Wesnoth 1.9.x line. These are serious problems that make playing Wesnoth under Lion almost impossible, except for those who can live with window mode and a lot of patience and frequent saving habits…

:(

Edit: These are different issues than those reported in the thread linked above, since Wesnoth can be played without problems (for most people at least) under Mac OS 10.6.x.
Last edited by ozean on July 7th, 2011, 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elrond89

Post by Elrond89 »

ozean wrote:The crashes in Lion happen always when you start in full screen mode, and they happen always when you switch to full screen mode. With Wesnoth I also experience very frequent crashes during regular game play – these seem somewhat more random though.

In my testing, these problems affect both the Wesnoth 1.8.x and the Wesnoth 1.9.x line. These are serious problems that make playing Wesnoth under Lion almost impossible, except for those who can live with window mode and a lot of patience and frequent saving habits…

:(

Edit: These are different issues than those reported in the thread linked above, since I can play Wesnoth without problems under Mac OS 10.6.x.

This is what I suspected, in fact I start in full screen mode, the program seem to start, but after a black screen it comes back to the desktop.

There is a way to change the full screen mode without using the program? Maybe changing some line in some file?
boru

Post by boru »

Elrond89 wrote:There is a way to change the full screen mode without using the program? Maybe changing some line in some file?
There's a preferences file in Users/(your name)/Application Support/Wesnoth_1.8

Make a copy of the file first. Then open in TextEdit and change the line fullscreen="yes" to fullscreen="no" (or if there is no fullscreen="yes" just type fullscreen="no" )

Do not save the document as preferences.txt

Note: you may still get the same thing as the other guy who tried this, namely:
ozean wrote:With Wesnoth I also experience very frequent crashes during regular game play – these seem somewhat more random though.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Elrond89

Post by Elrond89 »

boru wrote: There's a preferences file in Users/(your name)/Application Support/Wesnoth_1.8
this preference file must be somewhere else, there is no Application Support folder in my home, it is in the Library but there isn't the file wesnoth 1.8.
I searched with spotlight but it couldn't find anything.

Maybe it is an hidden file?
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Elrond89 wrote:
boru wrote: There's a preferences file in Users/(your name)/Application Support/Wesnoth_1.8
this preference file must be somewhere else, there is no Application Support folder in my home, it is in the Library but there isn't the file wesnoth 1.8.

Aaah, I think my friend missed "Library".:)
User/your-user-name/Library/Application Support/Wesnoth_1.8 (at least on OSX 10.5.8 )
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
Elrond89

Post by Elrond89 »

SkyOne wrote:
Elrond89 wrote: this preference file must be somewhere else, there is no Application Support folder in my home, it is in the Library but there isn't the file wesnoth 1.8.

Aaah, I think my friend missed "Library".:)
User/your-user-name/Library/Application Support/Wesnoth_1.8 (at least on OSX 10.5.8 )
with OSX 10.7 there isn't anymore the user Library, there is only the System library (located at the root /).

Do you have any idea where this file could be?

Maybe ozean could know...
ozean

Post by ozean »

As has been reported in other forums, in Lion the user library folder is hidden by default. It should be accessible by clicking on the Go menu (while you are in the Finder) and then holding down the alt key.
Elrond89

Post by Elrond89 »

ozean wrote:As has been reported in other forums, in Lion the user library folder is hidden by default. It should be accessible by clicking on the Go menu (while you are in the Finder) and then holding down the alt key.
Thank you very much, I found it.